Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poplar on ditch line

Options
  • 12-02-2020 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi,

what do you think, is it safe to build in close proximity to this tree or does it need to be cut? i’d say it’s about 25-30m high and right on the ditch. i’d like to keep it but it looks a bit risky to me.
    thanks

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭4dxc

This is the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

How close are you thinking?. They have big root systems.

The house would be about 7m away from the tree. and the tree is right on the dich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Not a tree expert but I wouldn't let any large tree within 15/20 meters of my house. . A deep wall foundation near the tree would keep most of the roots away from the house if you really want to keep it . While building could be the perfect time to get rid of it and plant something that doesn't grow as big.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

Poplars are notorious for damaging foundations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

These guidance notes can be downloaded from www.teagasc.ie/forestry or www.agriculture.gov.ie.

You can fell a tree outside a forest within ten metres of a public road if you have a well-founded opinion that the tree is in a dangerous condition.

A tree near a house

You can fell a tree that is growing less than 30 metres from a building. This exemption does not apply if the building was built after the tree.

Hedgerow trees

You can fell a hedgerow tree; provided that the tree has a Diameter at Breast Height of less than 20cm. DBH is always measured at 1.3 metres above the ground.

Planning permission

You can remove trees as specified in your planning permission.

Short Rotation Coppice

You can also fell either willow or poplar grown for fuel under a short rotation coppice.

Various species

Hawthorn and blackthorn outside a forest are exempt; as well as apple, pear, plum or damson if they are less than 150 years old.

Just saying, because you will need a professional to cut that down (I wouldn't want it within a few meters of my house) and they may raise the above points. And it takes about 4 months to get a felling license.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If you keep it run a saw around the base of it cutting all the shoots on the ivy without cutting the tree bark.
    That will kill off all the ivy on it.theyl eventually kill and knock it if you don’t.
    The tree will thrive without the ivy aswell

thanks all, that’s very helpful. i’ll be looking into getting rid of the tree in the future.

Advertisement