Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One year in jail for five plants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

How do you get caught if your growing it for your own purposes?

Or maybe someone grassed on him. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86,778 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I would have thought all or some suspended at least

Mine while a fella assaults a lady in a hospital ward and gets suspended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Prison service will probably release him fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

His problem is that he had previous for supplying.
    A year is very severe though. Should have got community service.

Already received community service for a previous offence

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/man-claims-cannabis-grown-to-help-treat-his-diabetic-condition-1.4170407?mode=amp

"He said Ryan had two previous convictions for cultivating cannabis as well as four convictions for possessing cannabis. He had two convictions for possessing cannabis for sale or supply but these dated from 1998."

"He has previous convictions for similar behaviour and community service has not led him to change his ways"

Electric usage if HPS and a guard who wanted to climb to detective.

Personal use of any illegal drug should be a health matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A crazy sentence, all the other offenders people have mentioned on the thread are usually underage to be properly tried unfortunately this guy is an adult. Crazy laws.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

He should count his lucky stars he wasn't importing garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Dante7 wrote: »
    This is a shocking sentence. One year in jail for five plants and 80g, all for personal use. No part of the sentence even suspended. Minding his own business and harming nobody. Compare this people who are getting suspended sentences for robberies and violent crimes.

Initially reading the opening post I thought it was a bit odd alright for a first time offence, but then I read the article -

The accused had four convictions for having drugs for his own use, one for cultivating cannabis and two historical convictions dating back to 1998 for having drugs for supply.

More recently he got community service as a penalty for offences including cultivation.

Anything more than the Judge dismissing the case was always going to be too much for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bill 2.0

You can dress this up as some lad having a few plants for his personal use but it is still illegal.

People don't get to decide what laws should be enforced based on how they feel about them.

He knew the rules, he broke them and now he is going to face the consequences. That's how a society should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

Bill 2.0 wrote: »
    You can dress this up as some lad having a few plants for his personal use but it is still illegal.

People don't get to decide what laws should be enforced based on how they feel about them.

He knew the rules, he broke them and now he is going to face the consequences. That's how a society should work.
    Yep you are dead right, just like all those 40/50 plus convictions that scumbags get, lock them up for years. Don't give them a suspended sentence, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bill 2.0

Notdeco wrote: »
    Yep you are dead right, just like all those 40/50 plus convictions that scumbags get, lock them up for years. Don't give them a suspended sentence, eh?

No one should get a suspended sentence.

If you are convicted of a crime you get punished, no excuses or dog-ate-my-homework ****e. Our society is **** because of the "awwww, de poor lad" attitude.

Come down on people like a ton of bricks. Be more like Asian countries where people are afraid to break the law because it is a taboo in their society and it ****s up you life because the courts don't have any pity on people.

• Advertisement

GNWoodd wrote: »
    How did this man even come to their attention

This is the question people should be asking. You don't just randomly end up in court. Chances are he's up to something and the Gardai can only nail him for this?

Or he's a disrespectful prick to the Gardai in day-to-day life and they decided to return the favour?

Or he's self entitled and has the smell all over the place, including neighbours houses, who are reporting him constantly for it.

As I say, you don't just wake up and happen to be in court randomly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

This is the question people should be asking. You don't just randomly end up in court. Chances are he's up to something and the Gardai can only nail him for this?

Or he's a disrespectful prick to the Gardai in day-to-day life and they decided to return the favour?

Or he's self entitled and has the smell all over the place, including neighbours houses, who are reporting him constantly for it.

As I say, you don't just wake up and happen to be in court randomly.

Irregardless, it is a stupid statute. And I dont see any story of him being all those things you suggest. Having previous is also having previous for growing grass so it was a stupid law back in 1998 too. Just like if in the past a person being charged of homosexual acts if they were also accused of previously doing homosexual acts, it is the law in both instances that is the ass. Ahem. But growing for personal use is becoming legal in so many jurisdictions and one day people like this chap will tell their story to the disbelief of young folk in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Be right back

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I would have thought all or some suspended at least

Mine while a fella assaults a lady in a hospital ward and gets suspended

By the same judge. He sentenced the man to 18 months in jail but suspended the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Growing it for his own use to treat a medical condition. He wasn’t funding criminals with his lifestyle.

Ridiculous.

5 plants is may more than personal use. A single person wouldn't get through 5 plants worth.

The medical angle was just an attempt to get a lighter sentence. Medical Marijuana has limited uses and diabetes isn't one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

jh79 wrote: »
    5 plants is may more than personal use. A single person wouldn't get through 5 plants worth.

The medical angle was just an attempt to get a lighter sentence. Medical Marijuana has limited uses and diabetes isn't one of them.

5 plants in many cases is not enough for a years supply for 1 person. Having to use a medical angle at all is what is ridiculous.
    Regulate it like ethyl akcohol, which is a dangerous intoxicant. As can cannabis be for some people. Strict drug driving laws. Tax and certified origin etc. Licenses to sell. No public disorder. Just like alcohol. What you do in your own home is your own business.

I think it is time for people to organise some kind of a petition, online collection of signatures to send to Dail, An Garda, judges etc change.org style of thing. Use this case as a focal point and make opinions heard. I am not a user of cannabis so it is not my fight, but those who are should organise themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

It's very messed up. Look what happened this guy, blinded by an acid attack and they get a caution :eek:.

Soft sentences for minorities. Gardai and courts won't touch them.

Gynoid wrote: »
    5 plants in many cases is not enough for a years supply for 1 person. Having to use a medical angle at all is what is ridiculous.
    Regulate it like ethyl akcohol, which is a dangerous intoxicant. As can cannabis be for some people. Strict drug driving laws. Tax and certified origin etc. Licenses to sell. No public disorder. Just like alcohol. What you do in your own home is your own business.

I think it is time for people to organise some kind of a petition, online collection of signatures to send to Dail, An Garda, judges etc change.org style of thing. Use this case as a focal point and make opinions heard. I am not a user of cannabis so it is not my fight, but those who are should organise themselves.

I agree that the law is wrong but 5 plants would produce a huge amount for a single person. The claim that it was for medical use was pure bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

It's the devil's lettuce, it leads you to grow poppy plants and coca leaves and gives you phycological issues.

Cannabis has no physical or addictive dependencies. It does not lead you to start growing cocaine or heroin plants which would be quite difficult in Ireland. The only connection between availability of drugs, some benign and some heavily addictive ones is the criminality that sells them.
    It has to stay illegal for the jobs, guards, solicitors,judges publicans, pharmacies, addiction centers.

It does not have to stay illegal. At worst its a medical issue not a criminal one. So it shouldn't be seen as a business for the legal communities. Infact, given 75% of drug convictions are for small cannabis possession, a lot of the AGS and Court time could be freed up to go after the criminals selling actual Class A destructive and addictive drugs. Neither should publicans have any say in that matter. They just want to sell their toxic, non criminalised product that actually causes assaults,very large addiction issues and deaths .
    Hope it's appealed straight away.but the previous for growing and the old 1998 conviction for sale and supply had a bearing on the sentence.

We truly are a backward country, this person removed the criminality from his pasttime and knew exactly what he was smoking.

Unlike the judge and society, he saw no harm in it, was not led by the nose, and according to the article kept himself to himself and was growing it for personal use, in turn not contributing to the criminal element who are profiting off it, and using the money to reinvest in guns and coke and heroin, which in turn ends up with society reading about chopped up bodies in sports holdalls.

Judges have too much latitude when it comes to these type crimes. One judge, your off with a slap, another judge and your rightly fúcked as is the case here the judge is the one "very entrenched in his beliefs about the use of drugs".

So forward thinking when it comes to homosexuality laws etc, but stuck in the reefer madness days when it comes to beneficial drugs that also have chilled out recreational uses that cause little if any harm. Welcome to the nanny state in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I agree that the law is wrong but 5 plants would produce a huge amount for a single person. The claim that it was for medical use was pure bullsh*t.

5 plants isn't a whole lot for personal use, especially if you're rotating plants at different cycles.

A Google search will provide massive plants alright but you have to remember that these are usually grown at industrial scale in the States.

5 plants could easily only produce 5 ounces, which won't last you very long.

A Singles person would get through 5 plants, quite easily. He was growing them in a tent using indoor propagation lights. House plant size. Given they take 3 months to grow, he probably wasn't growing them all year round and was stocking it for future use. Its not a perishable item.

Medical "Cannabis" does not have limited uses. At least we have moved on from when the US told us that it had no medical uses whatsoever.

You're a crank when it comes to this topic. Someone with a BSc who thinks he knows it all. There is no medical excuse for non legalisation of cannabis other than the work it might create for heads in the sand merchants who refuse to copy some other country's template.

• Advertisement

GooglePlus wrote: »
    5 plants isn't a whole lot for personal use, especially if you're rotating plants at different cycles.

A Google search will provide massive plants alright but you have to remember that these are usually grown at industrial scale in the States.

5 plants could easily only produce 5 ounces, which won't last you very long.

You'd be disappointed with only an oz per plant especially with his years of experience growing it. Also he had 2K worth in the fridge too so was growing continuously.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The accused had four convictions for having drugs for his own use, one for cultivating cannabis and two historical convictions dating back to 1998 for having drugs for supply
    In an upstairs bedroom they found a tent being used as grow-tent for cannabis and it contained five plants, three of which were mature.

Downstairs in the fridge the gardaí found two jars of cannabis herb that had been dried.

The street value of the cannabis herb was €1,600 and the plants were worth €2,400, according to Garda Hosford.
    the accused had five plants growing at the time and was self-medicating with cannabis for health issues that he had.

Pablo Escobar he isnt but self medicating for diabetes?
    Pull the other one.

STB. wrote: »
    A Singles person would get through 5 plants, quite easily. He was growing them in a tent using indoor propagation lights. House plant size. Given they take 3 months to grow, he probably wasn't growing them all year round and was stocking it for future use. Its not a perishable item.

Medical "Cannabis" does not have limited uses. At least we have moved on from when the US told us that it had no medical uses whatsoever.

You're a crank when it comes to this topic. Someone with a BSc who thinks he knows it all. There is no medical excuse for non legalisation of cannabis other than the work it might create for heads in the sand merchants who refuse to copy some other country's template.

I know how its grown and its complete BS to say that it has a wide range of medical uses. 3 maybe 4 at a push and certainly not for diabetes.

I have a PhD too by the way not that it matters but if your gonna have a dig might as well get my title right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

When I lived in Canada I could simply pop down to the shop and get as much as I liked whenever I liked for recreational purposes, I didn't need to require it medically, the only requirement was proof of age.

So, what is wrong with that system?

I know how its grown and its complete BS to say that it has a wide range of medical uses. 3 maybe 4 at a push and certainly not for diabetes.

I have a PhD too by the way not that it matters but if your gonna have a dig might as well get my title right.

Oh I know how its grown too. Getting 5 into a 2ft by 7ft tent would not be a problem. The plants grow quite small under low powered LEDs. They would produce a very limited supply of cannabis for much work for personal use, given the long harvest periods.

It is complete BS when it comes to describing it as having LIMITED medical uses. The discovery of the endocannabinoid system shows those receptors are not there for no reason.

PHD. Bet your research has been limited, given you cannot get licensed to even reasearch the plant here, unlike other countries and the quite extensive medical research including those by the actual respected medical professional Israeli who discovered the endocannabinoid system.

You'd be disappointed with only an oz per plant especially with his years of experience growing it. Also he had 2K worth in the fridge too so was growing continuously.

He's obviously not too wise if he's storing a mould susceptible plant matter in the fridge.

It's supposed to be stored in air tight containers, opened every so often for air flow.

When I lived in Canada I could simply pop down to the shop and get as much as I liked whenever I liked for recreational purposes, I didn't need to require it medically, the only requirement was proof of age.

So, what is wrong with that system?

The Irish Medical Council and conservative politicians who are still reading medical propaganda from 1920.
    GooglePlus wrote: »
    He's obviously not too wise if he's storing a mould susceptible plant matter in the fridge.

It's supposed to be stored air tight containers in jars and opened every so often for air flow.

I'd imagine it was a freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Cannabis should be legalized NOW in Ireland. Enough is enough.

Designate some rural areas for some big fat cannabis farms, slam a big fat tax on it (not to make it more dear than street cannabis), build some big fat dispensaries or even have yer aul newsagent sell it for all I care and sell it next to tobacco products. Use the tax profit (and saved costs of silly cannabis law enforcement) to combat actual organized crime.

The Irish Medical Council and conservative politicians who are still reading medical propaganda from 1920.

God, he must not be selling it in any rush if he's freezing the stuff.

• Advertisement

God, he must not be selling it in any rush if he's freezing the stuff.

Advertisement