Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One year in jail for five plants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

STB. wrote: »
    No thanks, I am well versed.

Certain cannabinoids that are the medicine have come from "the plant".

Studies. What studies by those regulatory bodies ? The very person I quoted has been almost instrumental in the discovery of various cannabinoids from the plant. Some which have finally been accepted 30 years later by the US regulatory authority, the FDA, in the form of approved drugs for epilepsy and nausea in chemo.

They were largely dependent on the Israeli's because the US laws had the plant demonised that they couldn't get the product to carry out research.

Like I said earlier, you are a crank, who has carried out no hands on research testing in this area and because you have a PHD in organic chemistry, think you know better, or are in a position to peer review pioneers in this area, which is just a load of BS.

Show me evidence that the plant is better than placebo for any illness.

Regulatory bodies don't carry out studies they assess them. If the studies were of sufficient quality Prof M would of submitted them.

No thanks, I am well versed.

Certain cannabinoids that are the medicine have come from "the plant".

Studies. What studies by those regulatory bodies ? The very person I quoted has been almost instrumental in the discovery of various cannabinoids from the plant. Some which have finally been accepted 30 years later by the US regulatory authority, the FDA, in the form of approved drugs for epilepsy and nausea in chemo.

They were largely dependent on the Israeli's because the US laws had the plant demonised that they couldn't get the product to carry out research.

Like I said earlier, you are a crank, who has carried out no hands on research testing in this area and because you have a PHD in organic chemistry, think you know better, or are in a position to peer review pioneers in this area, which is just a load of BS.

Also you are making an equivalency between purified cannibinoids and the actual plant which is wrong.

Some cannabinoid are medicine , the natural plant doesn't have enough evidence to support an assertion that it is medicine too.

Here is the HPRA report highlighting the weaknesses of the evidence for medical marijuana.

https://www.hpra.ie/docs/default-source/publications-forms/newsletters/cannabis-for-medical-use---a-scientific-review.pdf?sfvrsn=7

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

I volunteer with a youth group. Many of them smoke weed. They tell me that they can’t sleep at night without smoking a joint. They spend about €50 a week on it. Is that not an addiction?
    Seems at least a psychological addiction to me. If you feel that you can’t sleep without smoking a joint then you won’t sleep.
    I’d prefer if it was regulated like in Canada.

i smoke everyday and due to building a tolerance I also cannot sleep if i don't have a few smokes at night

but then one day I bought cbd oil, had a small couple of drops a half hour before bed and slept like a baby, again the next night and the night after that

so, my body was actually craving the non-psychoactive chemical CBD and not THC as i had previously thought

jh79 wrote: »
    A pre-rolled joint in Amsterdam contains 0.3g of weed. So that's ~47 per week / ~7 per day.

what point are you trying to make in this post?

• Advertisement

Also you are making an equivalency between purified cannibinoids and the actual plant which is wrong.

Some cannabinoid are medicine , the natural plant doesn't have enough evidence to support an assertion that it is medicine too.

explain so how some people suffering from the exact same condition can report a benefit from using the isolated chemical yet others need the full spectrum of the plant, terpines and all before they report a benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

pure.conya wrote: »
    i smoke everyday and due to building a tolerance I also cannot sleep if i don't have a few smokes at night

but then one day I bought cbd oil, had a small couple of drops a half hour before bed and slept like a baby, again the next night and the night after that

so, my body was actually craving the non-psychoactive chemical CBD and not THC as i had previously thought

Does that mean you are psychologically addicted to CBD oil?

what point are you trying to make in this post?

That 7 joints a day is quite a lot even for a regular smoker and is at the higher end of what constitutes an interpretation of personal use over supply.

explain so how some people suffering from the exact same condition can report a benefit from using the isolated chemical yet others need the full spectrum of the plant, terpines and all before they report a benefit

Medicine is population based not individual. No conclusion can be draw from single events.

Does that mean you are psychologically addicted to CBD oil?

yes, whether that's psychologically or physically I'm not sure exactly which when it effects the sleep so bad, it can last for up to a week and when ya do start managing to sleep the dreams/nightmares are so so vivid

• Advertisement

That 7 joints a day is quite a lot even for a regular smoker and is at the higher end of what constitutes an interpretation of personal use over supply.

so what, we have to accept your definition of what constitutes personal use?

so what, we have to accept your definition of what constitutes personal use?

No , that's the judges job but given he have 2k worth in the fridge and previous for supply, its hard to argue that the judge was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Yet lads who break into ur home with guns get a 3 month sentence

No , that's the judges job but given he have 2k worth in the fridge and previous for supply, its hard to argue that the judge was wrong

the garda wouldn't claim the man kept to himself if he was a dealer, so what if he has a supply built up for himself, still doesnt make him a dealer, we don't know the circumstances of a dealing charge from 22 years ago but trust me theres very few reclusive weed dealers about the place today

the judge dealing with the case sounds like he's off his nut, maybe he needs to experience loss of personal freedom in a prison for even a fortnight, might make him think twice before handing down a 12 month stretch to a man involved in a victimless and that keeps to himself, i say victimless but just look what the law and court system here done to that poor cůnt that was trying mind his own business

the garda wouldn't claim the man kept to himself if he was a dealer, so what if he has a supply built up for himself, still doesnt make him a dealer, we don't know the circumstances of a dealing charge from 22 years ago but trust me theres very few reclusive weed dealers about the place today

the judge dealing with the case sounds like he's off his nut, maybe he needs to experience loss of personal freedom in a prison for even a fortnight, might make him think twice before handing down a 12 month stretch to a man involved in a victimless and that keeps to himself, i say victimless but just look what the law and court system here done to that poor cůnt that was trying mind his own business

Look, i agree it's a stupid conviction and sentence.

Just personally would consider 5 plants a lot for personal use. Anyways most who grow a bit would sell some to their friends to cover the ESB bill.

My issue isn't with recreational use anyways its with unsubstantiated claims of medical uses. There is only one way to determine if something is a medicine and that is with an RCT clinical trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

GNWoodd wrote: »
    How did this man even come to their attention ? What was he doing that was detrimental to society which should be the test for any prosecution ?

Exactly.. definitely more to this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Show me evidence that the plant is better than placebo for any illness.

Regulatory bodies don't carry out studies they assess them. If the studies were of sufficient quality Prof M would of submitted them.

I already have. The FDA, the US regulatory authority have approved it. It was based on research and trial the Israeli pioneer carried out in 1980, but the medical and pharma community failed to act upon until 30 years later.

You are a crank. Your whole mantra is of no medical benefits when there is ample proof. Its cranks like you that have the plant demonised in the first instance. You have no experience in this area and i cited you 350 papers published by the man (which I would proffer is 350 more than you have published) yet you think you are in a position to peer review and act like an authority on the subject. I hope you are not working for a big pharma company and have your own agenda.

And your thoughts on what is an acceptable amount of cannabis to smoke or grow highlights that you haven't a notion on the subject.
    Another conservative who claims to know it all. At least you are consistent I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

5 plants is may more than personal use. A single person wouldn't get through 5 plants worth.

The medical angle was just an attempt to get a lighter sentence. Medical Marijuana has limited uses and diabetes isn't one of them.

Medical marijuana has extensive uses and can really help in a lot of cases. Nausea is one where it is brilliant and lets people (me included) eat when without if you cannot!

5 plants would not last as long as you seem to think and would probably last someone who smokes daily for a grow i.e while you are growing and drying plants you are smoking what you have dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

The €2k worth in the fridge was 80gm, less than three Oz. He only had three mature plants. Other two were such small seedlings that they couldn't be classified. No scales, no tic list, no baggies, no phone records indicating selling. A man, minding his own business, doing no harm to anyone else. It's very easy to argue that the judge was wrong, as the vast majority of posters here have.

• Advertisement

You'd be disappointed with only an oz per plant especially with his years of experience growing it. Also he had 2K worth in the fridge too so was growing continuously.

You dont pick it of a plant and smoke it! You need to dry it and to cure it can take months. Its a cycle.

I already have. The FDA, the US regulatory authority have approved it. It was based on research and trial the Israeli pioneer carried out in 1980, but the medical and pharma community failed to act upon until 30 years later.

You are a crank. Your whole mantra is of no medical benefits when there is ample proof. Its cranks like you that have the plant demonised in the first instance. You have no experience in this area and i cited you 350 papers published by the man (which I would proffer is 350 more than you have published) yet you think you are in a position to peer review and act like an authority on the subject. I hope you are not working for a big pharma company and have your own agenda.

And your thoughts on what is an acceptable amount of cannabis to smoke or grow highlights that you haven't a notion on the subject.
    Another conservative who claims to know it all. At least you are consistent I suppose.

Ok, so you obviously get your info from silly conspiracy theory websites.

1)Cannabinoids are a family of compounds that have similar chemical structures. Different cannabinoid can have vastly different effects. Just because some cannabinoids are medicine doesn't mean all cannabinoids are medicine.

2)The type of trials carried out in Israel have no controls in place and therefore do not meet regulatory requirements for approval. If you are "well versed" in this you should all know this.

3)I'm pretty certain a patent was approved in the 80's. The FDA didn't give approval for use as medicine.

Dante7 wrote: »
    The €2k worth in the fridge was 80gm, less than three Oz. He only had three mature plants. Other two were such small seedlings that they couldn't be classified. No scales, no tic list, no baggies, no phone records indicating selling. A man, minding his own business, doing no harm to anyone else. It's very easy to argue that the judge was wrong, as the vast majority of posters here have.

Fair enough I was basing it on 5 mature plants and a yield of 7-8 oz in total. Had a brief foray into home grown in the early 2000's. Couldn't really risk it now with a job etc.

Once it is decriminalized i'll get a Seedmo mainly because i'm a lazy f*cker and hated having to look after them.

In Ireland if you are cought with a certain amount then the charge is automatically supply... I was cought years ago with over a kilo and while it was for personal use (and would last about 3 months) I was charged with intent to supply.
    I found this unfair as it was all for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

For me, the fact that a person growing 5 ganja plants with a bit of grass in the fridge gets 1 year, and a person who rapes his special needs daughter while her mother is dying in hospital gets 7 years with the last year suspended, says it all. It is a cruel, decrepid, unnecessary law or set of laws that is outmoded and they should be quickly removed from the statute books. End of the silly story.

Ok, so you obviously get your info from silly conspiracy theory websites.

1)Cannabinoids are a family of compounds that have similar chemical structures. Different cannabinoid can have vastly different effects. Just because some cannabinoids are medicine doesn't mean all cannabinoids are medicine.

2)The type of trials carried out in Israel have no controls in place and therefore do not meet regulatory requirements for approval. If you are "well versed" in this you should all know this.

3)I'm pretty certain a patent was approved in the 80's. The FDA didn't give approval for use as medicine.

I get my information through research. I am quite well versed over 30 odd years. Unlike you who has a closed mind on this whole topic, I am all to aware of its benefits and its history.

Don't try and explain cannabinoids to me. The medical communities understanding of cannabinoids and the endocannabinoid system was informed by the person who did the majority of the research and discovery over the past 50 years and whom I have quoted time and time again in this thread. He is a guru on the subject. You are clearly not.

In June 2018, the FDA announced it approved Epidiolex for the treatment of seizures associated with two rare and severe forms of epilepsy, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome, in patients two years of age and older. It is placed as a schedule V of the Controlled Substances Act, the least restrictive schedule of the CSA. Its a medicine!

https://www.dea.gov/press-releases/2018/09/27/fda-approved-drug-epidiolex-placed-schedule-v-controlled-substance-act

http://ir.gwpharm.com/news-releases/news-release-details/epidiolexr-cannabidiol-oral-solution-first-fda-approved-plant

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovation/cannabis-research-pioneer-hopes-latest-discovery-not-overlooked-again-n1059116

Original Clinical tests by Raphael Mechoulam 1980.

Please stop. You are just embarrassing yourself.

I get my information through research. I am quite well versed over 30 odd years. Unlike you who has a closed mind on this whole topic, I am all to aware of its benefits and its history.

Don't try and explain cannabinoids to me. The medical communities understanding of cannabinoids and the endocannabinoid system was informed by the person who did the majority of the research and discovery over the past 50 years and whom I have quoted time and time again in this thread. He is a guru on the subject. You are clearly not.

In June 2018, the FDA announced it approved Epidiolex for the treatment of seizures associated with two rare and severe forms of epilepsy, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome, in patients two years of age and older. It is placed as a schedule V of the Controlled Substances Act, the least restrictive schedule of the CSA. Its a medicine!

https://www.dea.gov/press-releases/2018/09/27/fda-approved-drug-epidiolex-placed-schedule-v-controlled-substance-act

http://ir.gwpharm.com/news-releases/news-release-details/epidiolexr-cannabidiol-oral-solution-first-fda-approved-plant

Original Clinical tests by Raphael Mechoulam 1980.

Please stop. You are just embarrassing yourself.

As i've already said just because one cannabinoid is medicine does not mean all cannabinoids are medicine.

I find it hard to believe that you have 30 yrs of experience in research given you think they are one homogenous group when it come to biological effect.

Look, your clearly cutting and pasting stuff you don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

AryaStark wrote: »
    In Ireland if you are cought with a certain amount then the charge is automatically supply... I was cought years ago with over a kilo and while it was for personal use (and would last about 3 months) I was charged with intent to supply.
    I found this unfair as it was all for me!

TBF even after all these years I am still finding it hard to believe that kilo block of resin you had was for personal use.

:D

As i've already said just because one cannabinoid is medicine does not mean all cannabinoids are medicine.

I find it hard to believe that you have 30 yrs of experience in research given you think they are one homogenous group when it come to biological effect.

Look, your clearly cutting and pasting stuff you don't understand.

No. You didn't.

Your point all along has been that there are "unsubstantiated claims of medical uses". As recent as 10 minutes ago you are claiming that CBD was not medically approved.

You are a bluffer.

• Advertisement

No. You didn't.

Your point all along has been that there are "unsubstantiated claims of medical uses". As recent as 10 minutes ago you are claiming that CBD was not medically approved.

You are a bluffer.

No i didn't , i said medical marijuana. Medical Marijuana normally refers to the whole plant or its extracts and contains THC and CBD

Don't worry Prof R M in Israel has just developed a synthetic cannabinoid that might be a candidate for regulatory approval. Clinical trials are starting soon.

Advertisement