Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If there is another election, will you change your vote?

Options
  • 13-02-2020 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

In the likely event here is another election would you change your vote?

Will you change your vote? 384 votes

Yes
    63% 244 votes
    No
    8% 33 votes
    Too early to say if I would
    27% 107 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

No. Voted Green 1, Social Dem 2 and will stay with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dwmcdos

No idea, depends what happens between here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I'd consider tactical voting in an effort to remove a particular TD in my constituency.

But the last time I tactically voted, I was rewarded by the people who I tactically voted for propping up the people I didn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

RonanG86 wrote: »
    I'd consider tactical voting in an effort to remove a particular TD in my constituency.

But the last time I tactically voted, I was rewarded by the people who I tactically voted for propping up the people I didn't like.

Most voters don't think tactically. Most I talked to didn't even go past 3 preferences on the ballot card, they simply don't understand our system.

yes, id take back my first few preferences for smaller left/centre parties and lift up the two centre/right parties on my ballot

i think another election would see this- sf, ff and fg grab back large amounts of votes from independents, sd, lab, greens in a flight towards certainty tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If the Soc Dems ran a candidate in my area, possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If ever there was an election to better 2016 in terms of showing the parish pump Irish sheeple that votes for independents are mostly wasted (the only way they do anything for their constituency is to be a kingmaker which is selfish crap) - it's this one.

18 independents and Aontú / Labour sitting there just fecking the numbers up to the detrement of the country.

The few different permutations for a government are abundantly clear. If the big two parties refuse to engage and we end up back at the polls I'd probably move SF from a fourth preference to first out of sheer spite for the rest and to get it over with.
    Never ever thought I'd say that. I'd also remove all preferences for independents or isignificant parties. They should be obsolete or the rare exception.

Michael and Leo strategically leaving it to Mary Lou is vomit inducing and makes me regret giving FF any sort of a vote at all.

MLM has to be careful though.
    If recent events in the north hadn't happened, I'd say she would play this out as long as she could to get back to the polls, safe in the knowledge that she'd have 45+ seats.
    However as they stalled in the north for nearly 3 years if she got called out on it the electorate may not forgive her.
    She needs to drop the united left alliance of everyone idea and drop it now - Labour have conclusively said no and it's dead in the water even if you thought it wasn't before.
    FF/SF/GP(or SD) - FF/FG/GP(orSD) are the options. Nothing else is sustainable.

As there’s always about a dozen on my ballot paper, I’ll always give SF my 1 and 2:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

jon1981 wrote: »
    In the likely event here is another election would you change your vote?

Yep. I’ll put SF one slot lower because it’s unlikely the National Party candidate will run again and the bottom position will be free. I’d imagine SF will run a second candidate so they’ll go second last. After that I’d have to think strategically about who’d be most likely to prevent SF gaining an overall majority, even if that meant voting FF/G for the first time ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

sdanseo wrote: »
    If ever there was an election to better 2016 in terms of showing the parish pump Irish sheeple that votes for independents are mostly wasted (the only way they do anything for their constituency is to be a kingmaker which is selfish crap) - it's this one.

18 independents and Aontú / Labour sitting there just fecking the numbers up to the detrement of the country.

The few different permutations for a government are abundantly clear. If the big two parties refuse to engage and we end up back at the polls I'd probably move SF from a fourth preference to first out of sheer spite for the rest and to get it over with.
    Never ever thought I'd say that. I'd also remove all preferences for independents or isignificant parties. They should be obsolete or the rare exception.

Michael and Leo strategically leaving it to Mary Lou is vomit inducing and makes me regret giving FF any sort of a vote at all.

MLM has to be careful though.
    If recent events in the north hadn't happened, I'd say she would play this out as long as she could to get back to the polls, safe in the knowledge that she'd have 45+ seats.
    However as they stalled in the north for nearly 3 years if she got called out on it the electorate may not forgive her.
    She needs to drop the united left alliance of everyone idea and drop it now - Labour have conclusively said no and it's dead in the water even if you thought it wasn't before.
    FF/SF/GP(or SD) - FF/FG/GP(orSD) are the options. Nothing else is sustainable.

Agreed. And she should just put her hands up and say that she's tried and is now prepared for an election as there is no other option as obvious no one else wants to make up a Govt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭RonanG86

endacl wrote: »
    Yep. I’ll put SF one slot lower because it’s unlikely the National Party candidate will run again and the bottom position will be free. I’d imagine SF will run a second candidate so they’ll go second last. After that I’d have to think strategically about who’d be most likely to prevent SF gaining an overall majority, even if that meant voting FF/G for the first time ever.

You know you're not obliged to give a preference to every candidate? Best way to prevent your vote going to SF is to not put them on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The 37% who didn't vote must be laughing at the shambles we produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Agreed. And she should just put her hands up and say that she's tried and is now prepared for an election as there is no other option as obvious no one else wants to make up a Govt.

Another election doesn’t change any fundamentals. Sf win a few more seats. They can’t form an alliance of everyone but ffg. And if ffg won’t do business with them , now what does it achieve ?

It's actually quite disgusting that 37% don't vote (over 1,000,000 people). 1 in 3 don't vote? And no doubt these people express their opinions of our elected representatives! You have no right.

(P.S I know personal circumstances get in the way, but 37% is too high to use such an excuse to justify such an appalling percentage)

It's actual quite disgusting that 37% don't vote. 1 in 3 don't vote? And no doubt these people express their opinions of our elected representatives! You have no right.

I’d love to see a breakdown of the demographic of the non voters. I’d say it’s a lot of dolers. Which begs the question, why they are bent over backwards for , when a lot of them don’t vote and there is varadkar shafting the workers, who do vote. Absolute comedy !!!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Another election doesn’t change any fundamentals. Sf win a few more seats. They can’t form an alliance of everyone but ffg. And if ffg won’t do business with them , now what does it achieve ?
    So what's the alternative. Everyone goes around in circles chasing their tails. FG opting for opposition, FF opting out of govt with SF and SF unable to gather numbers.
    What do you suggest?
    Another election may throw up some more permutations.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Another issue that could be resolved by the voters is the gender imbalance. A lot more women should vote for women.

I’d love to see a breakdown of the demographic of the non voters. I’d say it’s a lot of dolers. Which begs the question, why they aren’t bent over backwards for , when a lot of them don’t vote and there is varadkar shafting the workers, who do vote. Absolute comedy !!!

Hmmm. I thought all the dolers voted for SF according to the boards majority.

So what's the alternative. Everyone goes around in circles chasing their tails. FG opting for opposition, FF opting out of govt with SF and SF unable to gather numbers.
    What do you suggest?
    Another election may throw up some more permutations.

I just don’t see another election achieving anything other than possibly angering the public. We just did vote. Another vote doesn’t change anything fundamentally...

Hmmm. I thought all the dolers voted for SF according to the boards majority.

Wouldn’t you love to know the breakdown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

I’d love to see a breakdown of the demographic of the non voters. I’d say it’s a lot of dolers. Which begs the question, why they aren’t bent over backwards for , when a lot of them don’t vote and there is varadkar shafting the workers, who do vote. Absolute comedy !!!

That’s complete hearsay!!
    Now, it may well be the case but could also be a lot of elderly people who were not able to get to the polling station due to the stormy weather, which again is complete hearsay!!!!

If fg ditched varadkar , possibly they and ff could do another confidence and supply or coalition. I think the greens increased carbon tax isn’t a good idea if they want to gain influence and seats. I think there are other ways to achieve big emissions reductions, that would be supported in rural Ireland , rather than opposed like now

I'd love to see Labour, SD and a toned down Green party come together and form a new party and brand. Provide a real left alternative to Sinn Fein (without the republican Marxism bolloxolgy)

That’s complete hearsay!!
    Now, it may well be the case but could also be a lot of elderly people who were not able to get to the polling station due to the stormy weather, which again is complete hearsay!!!!

Of course , sure we can only speculate. The first half of Saturday in Dublin was gorgeous weather wise and I reckon elderly would be more likely to vote in the morning and afternoon, rather than evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I’d love to see a breakdown of the demographic of the non voters. I’d say it’s a lot of dolers. Which begs the question, why they are bent over backwards for , when a lot of them don’t vote and there is varadkar shafting the workers, who do vote. Absolute comedy !!!
    They could make it compulsory like some countries but a lot of people disagree with that also.

They could make it compulsory like some countries but a lot of people disagree with that also.

Making it compulsory here would not benefit the establishment.ie FFG

If you think about it, does the state actually make an effort to sell the value of voting? Do you see neutral billboards, tv ads...etc. advertising why vote?

People have a say in who they want to govern this country, why would 37% not ****ing want to exercise that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Of course , sure we can only speculate. The first half of Saturday in Dublin was gorgeous weather wise and I reckon elderly would be more likely to vote in the morning and afternoon, rather than evening

Yeah 100% but probably more pertinent for rural areas where possibly further travel distance with no road lighting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

If fg ditched varadkar , possibly they and ff could do another confidence and supply or coalition. I think the greens increased carbon tax isn’t a good idea if they want to gain influence and seats. I think there are other ways to achieve big emissions reductions, that would be supported in rural Ireland , rather than opposed like now

Will you stop going on about Varadker, you’ve posted about him non-stop for the last week, same post wanting him to quit.

We get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

If you think about it, does the state actually make an effort to sell the value of voting? Do you see neutral billboards, tv ads...etc. advertising why vote?

People have a say in who they want to govern this country, why would 37% not ****ing want to exercise that right?

Make it mandatory, like in Australia.

Advertisement