Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If there is another election, will you change your vote?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Yeah 100% but probably more pertinent for rural areas where possibly further travel distance with no road lighting

The Irish electorate is made up of 3,229,672 people (CSO figures), over 1,000,000 people didn't vote. It was not because of ****ty road lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Whom could the 37% have voted for that would have made ye happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

jon1981 wrote: »
    If you think about it, does the state actually make an effort to sell the value of voting? Do you see neutral billboards, tv ads...etc. advertising why vote?

People have a say in who they want to govern this country, why would 37% not ****ing want to exercise that right?

They probably expected another ffg farce, so thought there was no point. Nobody could have expected this result

Idbatterim wrote: »
    They probably expected another ffg farce, so thought there was no point. Nobody could have expected this result

imagine if 37% agreed on that and voted accordingly, we'd likely be much closer to a majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Make it mandatory, like in Australia.

Ironically where some of the 37% is.

Was an empty polling card from my household anyway sadly, brother had to seek work outside Ireland, wasn't in any way for a lack of want to vote.

• Advertisement

imagine if 37% agreed on that and voted accordingly, we'd likely be much closer to a majority.
    So your complaint about the outcome is that it was a relatively even split?

Another issue that could be resolved by the voters is the gender imbalance. A lot more women should vote for women.

This open discrimination against men is something that's wrecking my head lately. I was even listening to The Last Word with Matt Cooper on Today FM yesterday and some segment started, and the first one to talk said "well firstly Matt, 'Blessed are thou among women', we've an all-woman group here tonight, which is quite nice".

Load. of. bollocks. If a man said that about an all-male group the phone lines of the show would explode.

Useless women shouldn't be voted for because they've a pair of tits. People vote based on ability. Gender quotas are a joke and even when the parties are forced to run women they aren't even getting seats anyway as they're useless.

Imelda Munster (SF) got majority votes in my area. By a large amount. But it wasn't because she's got long blonde hair. It was because she's decent at her job.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Only two of the three big civic duties are mandatory. Pay your taxes and don't break the rules. Take part in the decision making? Ah, sure don't bother...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The issue for people not voting is that there really isnt much of a choice for anyone fed up with the status quo. This is the first time for a long time that I wasnt going to bother voting myself. I forced myself to go because I dont believe in whinging about it after later.

FF/FG same old same old, Labour a dead duck, people voting SF believing it cant be any worse are underestimating SF, that really leaves no one with much power.

Independent's to be fair are often the hardest working and most visible in a Community, so people might have voted this way.

The result is a hotchpotch of this and the outlook does not look positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I didn't change my vote for Nice or Lisbon 2, why would I do it now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Nollog

I didn't change my vote for Nice or Lisbon 2, why would I do it now?

Some people voted for it the first time and against the second, just out of spite. Could spite any party for their lack of interest in governing.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    Of course , sure we can only speculate. The first half of Saturday in Dublin was gorgeous weather wise and I reckon elderly would be more likely to vote in the morning and afternoon, rather than evening

I voted at 7am here, just because it was supposed to be terrible later on in the day, it ended pretty calmly until early the next day.
    I didn't even have clouds to shake my fist at!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

SF number 1 then fill the rest out with anyone but FF or FG

Ficheall wrote: »

No, just an unproven statement.

Look for an arguement elsewhere.

Ficheall wrote: »

No, just an unproven statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

The 37% who didn't vote must be laughing at the shambles we produced.

Alot of them are dead because the electoral role in Ireland is so draconian so they probably won't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 muzim

It's actually quite disgusting that 37% don't vote (over 1,000,000 people). 1 in 3 don't vote? And no doubt these people express their opinions of our elected representatives! You have no right.

(P.S I know personal circumstances get in the way, but 37% is too high to use such an excuse to justify such an appalling percentage)

Well, you have the right to express an opinion, along with a right not to vote if you don't wish to. Whether anyone will listen to the latter is another thing.

I didn't vote as I was looking at the list of candidates and coming to the conclusion that I would be voting for the best of a bad bunch. Would you prefer if I rocked up to spoil my vote to bring down that 37% figure?

People have a say in who they want to govern this country, why would 37% not ****ing want to exercise that right?

37% non voters probably isn't that bad.
    Some people could be sick, in hospital or out of the country. It was quite short notice, so even people with a weekend away somewhere planned were not going to change it.
    I changed my vote to a different area, but a polling card still arrived at my old address, so that went down as one vote missing.
    There may even be deceased people on the voters Reg still.
    Also, I spent 18 months working overseas, ( I was seconded by Ireland so still working for the Irish government)
    During that time the 8th amendment referendum & the presidential election were held. I could not vote from overseas, only diplomats & their families are allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

It's actually quite disgusting that 37% don't vote (over 1,000,000 people). 1 in 3 don't vote? And no doubt these people express their opinions of our elected representatives! You have no right.

(P.S I know personal circumstances get in the way, but 37% is too high to use such an excuse to justify such an appalling percentage)

The figures aren't actually that high. One of my sisters has lived in the UK for 15 years and she still gets a voting card to my parents house. My other sister lives in another constituency and gets gets one sent to my parents and her own house.

Between this and dead people getting cards there is apparently 500,000 too many people on the register.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jon1981 wrote:
    In the likely event here is another election would you change your vote?

Highly unlikely, depends who's running though

I’d only ever contemplate voting to keep out Greens and there’s no Green threat in my area so I won’t be again (not that the vote would matter regardless).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Idbatterim wrote:
    I’d love to see a breakdown of the demographic of the non voters. I’d say it’s a lot of dolers. Which begs the question, why they are bent over backwards for , when a lot of them don’t vote and there is varadkar shafting the workers, who do vote. Absolute comedy !!!

Well given we are running at what, 4% unemployment rate nationally even if nobody on the dole voted that leaves 33% of those who do actually work (or did if they are retired) who didn't vote

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Necro wrote: »
    Well given we are running at what, 4% unemployment rate nationally even if nobody on the dole voted that leaves 33% of those who do actually work (or did if they are retired) who didn't vote

Its Schödinger's Dole Merchant, both responsible for the high number of SF votes AND the poor turnout.

37% of people cottoned to the fact that nothing will ever change for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

37% of people cottoned to the fact that nothing will ever change for the better.

Chomsky believes that millions of Americans don't bother voting because they believe their vote doesn't truly matter, they could be right, the same could be said for our non voters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I would still vote FG as long as my preferred candidate runs. If he does not then I will need to have a look at the rest.

Dan.

Not looking for an argument Jon, just trying to make you happy. As one of the 37%, I'm wondering what way we could have voted that wouldn't leave you complaining afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

The figures aren't actually that high. One of my sisters has lived in the UK for 15 years and she still gets a voting card to my parents house. My other sister lives in another constituency and gets gets one sent to my parents and her own house.

Between this and dead people getting cards there is apparently 500,000 too many people on the register.

That is [presumably] because she has never informed the Council that she is no longer at those addresses. The Council cannot be expected to track everyone's movement so if the elector doesn't tell them, how can the Council pssibly know to remove them from the Register?

Years ago I remember a big newspaper article about children 'having' votes and people 'having' five votes etc - absolute rubbish! A child may have received a polling card because someone in the house wrongly gave the child's name to a Council staff person who was checking the Register (in those days the Register used to be checked door to door in between elections) or a person may have received five polling cards because they had registered in five different addresses without ever updating to cancel but a person still only 'has' 1 vote, regardless of the number of polling cards. The polling card is actually just to tell you WHERE to vote - no more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dwmcdos

Don't make it mandatory like Australia. If people can't be bothered going to their local polling booth of their own volition, then do you really want them voting for random candidates without informing themselves, just because the law forces them to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Out of 7 polling cards that came through my door only 4 are here to vote, 3 have left to work elsewhere.
    I would say there alot more like this that will make up the 37% no voters.

• Advertisement

That is [presumably] because she has never informed the Council that she is no longer at those addresses. The Council cannot be expected to track everyone's movement so if the elector doesn't tell them, how can the Council pssibly know to remove them from the Register?

Years ago I remember a big newspaper article about children 'having' votes and people 'having' five votes etc - absolute rubbish! A child may have received a polling card because someone in the house wrongly gave the child's name to a Council staff person who was checking the Register (in those days the Register used to be checked door to door in between elections) or a person may have received five polling cards because they had registered in five different addresses without ever updating to cancel but a person still only 'has' 1 vote, regardless of the number of polling cards. The polling card is actually just to tell you WHERE to vote - no more than that.

He didn’t say they should, it was just offering an explanation of how the numbers aren’t as high as what’s given.

That said, I was removed from the register here about a month after emigrating and had informed nobody. So someone must be keeping watch.

Advertisement