Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If there is another election, will you change your vote?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

sdanseo wrote: »
    If ever there was an election to better 2016 in terms of showing the parish pump Irish sheeple that votes for independents are mostly wasted (the only way they do anything for their constituency is to be a kingmaker which is selfish crap) - it's this one.

18 independents and Aontú / Labour sitting there just fecking the numbers up to the detrement of the country.

Michael and Leo strategically leaving it to Mary Lou is vomit inducing and makes me regret giving FF any sort of a vote at all.

You voted for FF but you moan about people that vote for independents????
    Do you not remember what FF did for the first 10 years of this century?
    Some independents are all about their own constituency and dont care about the country, but come on. There were independents in the cabinet for the last 4 years. Clowns but not as bad as FF in 2010!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Wouldn't give any number to FF they crawled in in quite a few places through bottom of the barrel transfers not putting them down even as number 10 if a new election was called. Never again.

Bingo, I gave everyone a number, except two FF candidates. And I will do the exact same for the next election

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

I'm voting for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

muzim wrote: »
    I didn't vote as I was looking at the list of candidates and coming to the conclusion that I would be voting for the best of a bad bunch. Would you prefer if I rocked up to spoil my vote to bring down that 37% figure?

If the candidates are all the same to you, there's nothing wrong with that approach.

But if there is even one candidate you *really* don't want to see in power, then it is worthwhile to vote all the way down the list of candidates, to ensure that candidate's opponents receive your transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Idbatterim wrote: »
    If fg ditched varadkar , possibly they and ff could do another confidence and supply or coalition. I think the greens increased carbon tax isn’t a good idea if they want to gain influence and seats. I think there are other ways to achieve big emissions reductions, that would be supported in rural Ireland , rather than opposed like now

You really have a thing about Varadkar :eek: I wonder what it could be ? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

14% yes, 13% undecided... interesting!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If there is another election, would anybody consider throwing a vote to William King if they are in Wicklow? He managed a total of 20 first preference votes. The additional 6 votes he picked up in count 2 weren't enough to keep him in the race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

RonanG86 wrote: »
    I'd consider tactical voting in an effort to remove a particular TD in my constituency.

But the last time I tactically voted, I was rewarded by the people who I tactically voted for propping up the people I didn't like.
    Snap - Labour in 92, Green in 07
    Both lied through their arses.
    Oh, maybe FF will do the same this time :D

Ironically where some of the 37% is.

Was an empty polling card from my household anyway sadly, brother had to seek work outside Ireland, wasn't in any way for a lack of want to vote.
    The register is in absolute tatters which would affect the stats we see.
    Lots of people down to vote in two places (students) for example and people not bothering to update the authorities when moving etc (I'm sure it's the last thing on people's minds when they have to leave)

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yes I will change hoping Sinn Féin will run in Cork North West.
    That place needs a shake up!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I wonder will some people be less likely to vote for Sinn Féin after the videos of “up the ra” , republican songs by other candidates etc.

Unfortunately for MLM all this type of behaviour does is give ammunition to other parties to not engage with Sinn Fein. It completely justifies Leo saying they won’t form government with them, I hate to say that but in fairness it is very unprofessional and extremely sensitive topic to be shouting about. This is only one example.

There are other candidates that have shady pasts and I’m sure people wouldn’t need to dig too deep to find out info as they seem a bit lax on social media etc for example Paddy H.
    Of course politicians have a right to a private life but saying / doing / behaving in a way that discredits a party you are involved in is pretty serious in my opinion.

It is a shame that MLM and Pearse lose credit by being associated with people that do things like that as I think they are great. I think they should have tightened up on who they are running and how candidates behave on social media or otherwise

Admittedly, I didn’t know to what extent until this week of the shady pasts of some of the SF candidates. I don’t think I’d vote for them but still wouldn’t vote for FF or FG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

JamesM wrote: »
    You really have a thing about Varadkar :eek: I wonder what it could be ? :(

he was given this god like status here and in the media. What he turned out to be, was the biggest fraud and waffler going. I know a lot of ex Fg voters that dont like him. He is smarmy, wishy washy and would tell you anything you wanted to hear, for a vote. We need leaders in this country, the place is ruderless, because nobody wants to make decisions or offend anyone! Welcome to modern ireland

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I wonder will some people be less likely to vote for Sinn Féin after the videos of “up the ra” , republican songs by other candidates etc.

Unfortunately for MLM all this type of behaviour does is give ammunition to other parties to not engage with Sinn Fein. It completely justifies Leo saying they won’t form government with them, I hate to say that but in fairness it is very unprofessional and extremely sensitive topic to be shouting about. This is only one example.

There are other candidates that have shady pasts and I’m sure people wouldn’t need to dig too deep to find out info as they seem a bit lax on social media etc for example Paddy H.
    Of course politicians have a right to a private life but saying / doing / behaving in a way that discredits a party you are involved in is pretty serious in my opinion.

It is a shame that MLM and Pearse lose credit by being associated with people that do things like that as I think they are great. I think they should have tightened up on who they are running and how candidates behave on social media or otherwise

Admittedly, I didn’t know to what extent until this week of the shady pasts of some of the SF candidates. I don’t think I’d vote for them but still wouldn’t vote for FF or FG

Imagined MLMD ditched the "up the ra " lad, wouldnt change anything fundamentally, but would give a serious message of any f*ck ups and you are out. Could do a lot of good, if there is to be another election. FG letting everyone away with everything, cost them seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

jon1981 wrote: »
    14% yes, 13% undecided... interesting!!!

You think a poll on this site is in any way representative, for want of a better description 'the real world' ? Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Imagined MLMD ditched the "up the ra " lad, wouldnt change anything fundamentally, but would give a serious message of any f*ck ups and you are out. Could do a lot of good, if there is to be another election. FG letting everyone away with everything, cost them seats.

I think she should ditch people who bring down the party’s credibility. In fact it would show she’s serious about dealing with this type of behaviour.
    I was surprised she didn’t kick out Paddy H for good after his comments. There are some candidates that seem to not understand how serious saying certain things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I think she should ditch people who bring down the party’s credibility. In fact it would show she’s serious about dealing with this type of behaviour.
    I was surprised she didn’t kick out Paddy H for good after his comments. There are some candidates that seem to not understand how serious saying certain things are.

And that is the problem with SF. The calibre of candidates is very questionable. Mark Ward in Dublin signs off his Facebook post with TAL and an Irish flag. Not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I will vote FG again

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

That is [presumably] because she has never informed the Council that she is no longer at those addresses. The Council cannot be expected to track everyone's movement so if the elector doesn't tell them, how can the Council pssibly know to remove them from the Register?

Years ago I remember a big newspaper article about children 'having' votes and people 'having' five votes etc - absolute rubbish! A child may have received a polling card because someone in the house wrongly gave the child's name to a Council staff person who was checking the Register (in those days the Register used to be checked door to door in between elections) or a person may have received five polling cards because they had registered in five different addresses without ever updating to cancel but a person still only 'has' 1 vote, regardless of the number of polling cards. The polling card is actually just to tell you WHERE to vote - no more than that.

I receive a polling card at my current address as well as to my old family home. I emailed the council to cancel the one at the old gaff but they continue to do so. So I have voted twice on two occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

anewme wrote: »
    And that is the problem with SF. The calibre of candidates is very questionable. Mark Ward in Dublin signs off his Facebook post with TAL and an Irish flag. Not acceptable.

Why is an Irish flag unacceptable? Sinn Fein have always wanted a united Ireland and during the troubles Tiocfaidh ar la was a slogan our day will come, it relates to a united Ireland. I don't see any wrong in wanting a united Ireland and posting this with a tricolour. The war is over but their policy of wanting to unite the island still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

so what, a lot of people would see nothing wrong with this including myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It's all about optics with the likes of you.
    The calibre of FG with litigation,false insurance claims gross incompetency is fine because they wear suits and have a certain blandness as to not offend anyones mild sensibilities and create a sense of respectability.how utterly depressing.

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    so what, a lot of people would see nothing wrong with this including myself.

And a lot of people do see something wrong with it.

A slogan harking back to a dark murky violent past, has no future in Irish politics.

She should give a final warning , any more of that and they are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

KevRossi wrote: »
    No. Voted Green 1, Social Dem 2 and will stay with that.

same

smurgen wrote: »
    It's all about optics with the likes of you.
    The calibre of FG with litigation,false insurance claims gross incompetency is fine because they wear suits and have a certain blandness as to not offend anyones mild sensibilities and create a sense of respectability.how utterly depressing.

Now, dont address me as "the likes of you" because I dont believe dated Republican posturing has a place in our current society.

I said above I didn't vote for any of them. Not FF, not FG and not SF.

Many people felt similar.

Some voted SF "they can't be any worse".

Some voted FF or FG - "we cant have SF" and a large number were so fed up, they didn't bother voting at all.

The results of which we are looking at now, rudderless and not good for our future.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

And a lot of people do see something wrong with it.

A slogan harking back to a dark murky violent past, has no future in Irish politics.
    the majority would support a united ireland, tiocfaidh ar la:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

The fact that we have 500,000 potential extra votes out there is bonkers. How is this treated so casually? Human nature being the way it is surely some people will abuse this.

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    the majority would support a united ireland, tiocfaidh ar la:)

That's the problem with the SF supporters. They believe their success was because people want a United Ireland.

I'd say the reality voted them, because they are fed up with the others, a United Ireland might be far down many peoples list of priorities and the majority of people are going to get tired very quickly of up the ra, Tiocfaidh Ar La, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭satguy

Will vote SF 1 & 2 next time..

• Advertisement

I receive a polling card at my current address as well as to my old family home. I emailed the council to cancel the one at the old gaff but they continue to do so. So I have voted twice on two occasions.
    So, you flipped immediately from the right thing to do to the wrong thing to do.
    Nice compass there, fella.

Advertisement