Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If there is another election, will you change your vote?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I won't be voting FF again. Cowards refusing to go in to government. Both themselves and the shinners need to hang their heads in shame.

As if you voted for either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

KevRossi wrote: »
    No. Voted Green 1, Social Dem 2 and will stay with that.

Voted Sinn Fein, Greens, FF, Independent. New Election FF be getting no vote from me. I know some of my friends are thinking of doing the same.

FF+ FG is not what the people want again. FG got third place, they have no mandate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

FF refusal to enter government with Sinn Fein may plunge their vote share even further.  New Sinn Fein followers give their second and third choices to FF. 

FG  and Sinn Fein government would not last.

FF despite what the party association membership says can work together with Sinn Fein. Rural FF voters feel the same about housing, health, and taxes. 

FF needs to be circumspect in what they do next, because their supporters may vote the other way next time and give their second and third preference to Sinn Fein candidates instead?

I have a suspicion that the FF & FG vote would be higher if there was another election. There was a certain sense of apathy from those two groups. The SF vote will scare them into action.

Voted Sinn Fein, Greens, FF, Independent. New Election FF be getting no vote from me. I know some of my friends are thinking of doing the same.

FF+ FG is not what the people want again. FG got third place, they have no mandate.

Third by how many seats?

piplip87 wrote: »
    Yes they will increase seat numbers by as much as 20. It's where the seats will come from..

Those who got seats without reaching quota will be in trouble but so will Independents and left wing parties who may have scraped in on SF transfers.
    Although you would see an entirety different campaign from FF and FG next time round. There are many holes in the SF manifesto and instead of debating about the past, FF and FG could tear it apart.

No way in hell they would get another 20. That’s absolute madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

I have a suspicion that the FF & FG vote would be higher if there was another election. There was a certain sense of apathy from those two groups. The SF vote will scare them into action.

The bulk of people who vote FF and Sinn Fein are in the salary bracket that would be considered working class.. FF outside of Dublin were always known as the main party that supported the working class and rural farmers.  Where I live the people vote FF. Alliances may have switched after the crash to FG, but their values have not changed. 

FF and Sinn Fein serve the majority of the Irish electorate and there ideology is not that far apart, least in my opinion.

The only baggage Sinn Fein has is their IRA past, but this history from twenty years ago and individuals need to move on and stop living in the past. 

Irish people are left leaning despite what FG tries to claim. They'd got hammered over social issues like housing, homeless, and health ( think?) and got third place. 

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

I didn't give either FF or FG my number 1 this time, but I would if there was a re-run. I think SF will gain even more seats next time, so I'll do what I can to keep them out.

Next time, SF will better plan their candidate numbers to gain more seats. Also, there are plenty of people that love a band-wagon. I think the vast majority of the people who voted SF did so with a conviction that they wanted a huge change. Next time, they'll do so again and will be joined by a lot of people who want to join that band-wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

tjhook wrote: »
    I didn't give either FF or FG my number 1 this time, but I would if there was a re-run. I think SF will gain even more seats next time, so I'll do what I can to keep them out.

Next time, SF will better plan their candidate numbers to gain more seats. Also, there are plenty of people that love a band-wagon. I think the vast majority of the people who voted SF did so with a conviction that they wanted a huge change. Next time, they'll do so again and will be joined by a lot of people who want to join that band-wagon.
    It might be wiser for SF to plan their candidates first and worry about numbers later.

The bulk of people who vote FF and Sinn Fein are in the salary bracket that would be considered working class.. FF outside of Dublin were always known as the main party that supported the working class and rural farmers.  Where I live the people vote FF. Alliances may have switched after the crash to FG, but their values have not changed. 

FF and Sinn Fein serve the majority of the Irish electorate and there ideology is not that far apart, least in my opinion.

The only baggage Sinn Fein has is their IRA past, but this history from twenty years ago and individuals need to move on and stop living in the past. 

Irish people are left leaning despite what FG tries to claim. They'd got hammered over social issues like housing, homeless, and health ( think?) and got third place. 

No doubt that FF and SF are very close. This is why FF are in such a tricky position. The calibration of candidates SF can put forward to gain extra seats is questionable. There are already question marks over some that hit in this time. It will be up to the old dogs to highlight this.

Just because some candidate got a surplus and a half or indeed two surpluses doesn't automatically mean all the number 2s would go to the party's candidates if it ran two candidates.
    P.R. In Ireland is affected by geography, local activity, candidates popular across the divide etc

• Advertisement

They got two seats less than Sinn Fein and you are saying they have no mandate!
    How much bull**** propaganda can you swallow?
    If it was the other way around would S.F. have no mandate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

FF refusal to enter government with Sinn Fein may plunge their vote share even further.  New Sinn Fein followers give their second and third choices to FF. 

The surprise when voting for a toxic party that nobody wants to go into government with finds it difficult to form a government.

Should have given your vote to Social Democrats, Greens, PB4P or whatever instead. All the parties are open to working with them.

Even if Sinn Fein gains another 15 seats they'd still need FF or FG to form a coalition.

I didn't vote FF in this election but I'd feel obliged to if there's another one to keep scumbag Sinn Fein out of power.

And don't peddle some bull**** about it not being possible for the other left wing parties to become this big. Labor was the second largest party 2 elections ago, knocking FF into third place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Edgware wrote: »
    Just because some candidate got a surplus and a half or indeed two surpluses doesn't automatically mean all the number 2s would go to the party's candidates if it ran two candidates.
    P.R. In Ireland is affected by geography, local activity, candidates popular across the divide etc

Nah, anyone who voted SF number 1 is definitely putting them number 2 if its available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I didn't vote FF in this election but I'd feel obliged to if there's another one to keep scumbag Sinn Fein out of power.

And don't peddle some bull**** about it not being possible for the other left wing parties to become this big. Labor was the second largest party 2 elections ago, knocking FF into third place.

Bit of a bigot me thinks, yes Labour were the second biggest party not too long ago and wasn't Eamonn Gilmore was in the Ra?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

My Local FF TD, told me he was open to going in to power with SF but definitely not with FG. We will be having words if he does a deal with FG again despite their beating. I meet him a lot due to work and social reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,778 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd vote more for SD and SF if they ran more candidates in my area

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

votecounts wrote: »
    My Local FF TD, told me he was open to going in to power with SF but definitely not with FG. We will be having words if he does a deal with FG again.

Did he get elected?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Bit of a bigot me thinks,

Yes, it is reasonable to say that Sinn Fein are bigoted.
    yes Labour were the second biggest party not too long ago and wasn't Eamonn Gilmore was in the Ra?!

No neither Eamonn Gilmore, nor any Labour party member currently alive was in any terrorist organization as far as I'm aware. I don't know of any Labour party member who is guilty of robbery, or bomb making, or arms imports, of intimidation, or covering up sex abuse. I don't know any Labour party member who talks to leaders of terrorist groups. I don't know of any Labour party member who was permanently retired by being tortured and executed by a terrorist group. I don't know if you were being sarcastic or you were referring to how Eamonn Gilmore briefly, while he was a student, joined the University College Galway Republican Club which was affiliated with the Republican Sinn Fein party (not to be confused with the other party called Sinn Fein)

I wouldn't vote for Labour because they gave me a pain in the arse with their milli-mouthedness, both in relation to their coalition partner and EU, their obsession and love of water charges, and desire to abolish the Leaving Cert as an examination.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

votecounts wrote: »
    My Local FF TD, told me he was open to going in to power with SF but definitely not with FG. We will be having words if he does a deal with FG again despite their beating. I meet him a lot due to work and social reasons.
    It will come down to what the party thinks and he could be well outvoted. Dev Og is not keen on it either.

Advertisement