Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation Usage

Options
  • 13-02-2020 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

I’m a non gamer here, however our son has a PS, is there a way of monitoring weekly usage remotely from a app as a parent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Second tip on this article, 'Play Time Management', but it will only work if you have set up a child account for them. If they're using their own details, you can't as far as I'm aware:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/03/12/play-time-management-and-other-ps4-tips-for-gaming-families/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Soulsun wrote: »
    I’m a non gamer here, however our son has a PS, is there a way of monitoring weekly usage remotely from a app as a parent?

Yes but probably handier to walk upstairs and do a bit of parenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Tried that approach... it works , sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If they're anything like me, you know the parents are coming if you're doing something dodgy and change it just before the parents enter. I'd imagine it's even easier nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

depends what you want to monitor? Is it just playtime or what they are actually doing on the PS4 like games/friends who they are talking to etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

If you just want basic usage stats (time the console is turned on) then I recommend opening up the ps4 with a screwdriver and attaching a wire with the copper exposed underneath the console's On switch and stringing the other end of the wire out the back through the cooling grate. Attach the loose wire to the capacitator of an analog timing mechanism which will activate whenever the console is turned on.

Then you can wait until your kids are asleep and sneak in with a torch and check how much time it's been turned on each day and reset it for the next day, noting down the dates and times on squared paper before doing so.

heroics wrote: »
    depends what you want to monitor? Is it just playtime or what they are actually doing on the PS4 like games/friends who they are talking to etc?

It’s more the time using the ps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What's stopping you from taking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Damien360

What you need to control as a parent (I have it with sons PC in my house and I’m the PS4 user) is the internet usage.

The PS4 is a bore when offline. So, we use a netgear router behind our virgin media hub. We use the netgear app to control access. We can switch internet access on and off at will.

Now, my son is smart enough to get around that on the Pc but the PS4 is not that easy to do the same. We often have to schedule via web interface to netgear a complete internet off time. Nothing gets in or out. Whole house goes “dark”.

Currently, internet after homework and eating, and only until 9pm, then all off. Complains bitterly but you have to persevere. Set time limits, and enforce. Marching up the stairs didn’t work for us so we had to do it the hard way. Give in and you loose. Best apply same rules to yourself and then everybody will be happier. (Yes I’m aware I’m posting at nearly 22:00)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Threads like these make me shudder at the thoughts of trying to raise kids nowadays

• Advertisement

ITman88 wrote: »
    Threads like these make me shudder at the thoughts of trying to raise kids nowadays

It’s easy really!

Damien360 wrote: »
    What you need to control as a parent (I have it with sons PC in my house and I’m the PS4 user) is the internet usage.

The PS4 is a bore when offline. So, we use a netgear router behind our virgin media hub. We use the netgear app to control access. We can switch internet access on and off at will.

Now, my son is smart enough to get around that on the Pc but the PS4 is not that easy to do the same. We often have to schedule via web interface to netgear a complete internet off time. Nothing gets in or out. Whole house goes “dark”.

Currently, internet after homework and eating, and only until 9pm, then all off. Complains bitterly but you have to persevere. Set time limits, and enforce. Marching up the stairs didn’t work for us so we had to do it the hard way. Give in and you loose. Best apply same rules to yourself and then everybody will be happier. (Yes I’m aware I’m posting at nearly 22:00)

Cheers, may give this a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Its only as complicated as you want it to be!
    Ive 2 "gamers" in the house 10 and 13 they play at my privilege not theirs take control!

Advertisement