Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programmer / coder / developer. Looking for a mentor.

Options
  • 13-02-2020 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

First of all I would like to say Hi as it's my first thread on boards.ie. My name is Marcin.

Now let's get to the topic. One day I decided to become self taught programmer / coder / developer (choose the adequate one as I'm not sure how you call these people in Ireland).

At the moment I'm at the start of one of the courses at Udemy. The course I chose and also the programming language that I would like to learn first is Python. I honestly have no idea if this language is popular in Ireland. I chose it because I've heard and I've read that it's easy to learn and good for beginners. (but I'm open to learn other languages).

Earlier I had a chance to learn Java while I was doing Android Software Developer course on Udacity sponsored by Google (they were giving away scholarships). Unfortunately because of my laziness and bad organisation skills I didn't finish it.... And I hate myself because of it as it was a big opportunity for me.

I finished an IT technician school. I'm into computers and technology.

Why I wrote this thread and what I'm looking for?

I want to become a programmer / coder / developer (again choose the right one). I want to change my career.

I'm looking for someone that would like to help me set a path. Someone who would like to cooperate, talk, motivate. I'm looking for a mentor.

Now I don't want to share too much about my life here but anyone who would like to help me will eventually get to know me.

Thank you for your attention. And I'm looking forward to talk to anyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If you're Dublin based maybe have a look at a coding related meetup, https://www.meetup.com/topics/computer-programming/ie/dublin/

A personal mentor as you describe is likely to want to be paid for their time. e.g. a startup I was involved in some years ago had an IDA mentor who cost €1k a month plus 5% equity for a couple of days a month. People's who's advice is worth listening to tend in my experience to charge for it. YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Turo

Unfortunately I'm closer to Limerick then Dublin. But thank you for the link. I checked that website and it's actually helpful.

I thought that I'll meet someone here as my colleague from work told me to write a post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

You could try posting on https://codereview.stackexchange.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

To learn programming is not an easy road. There are no "easy" options. More importantly it is not *just* about learning the language. Software design/engineering is also important.

Python is a good start for languages, so is Java/C# etc.

If I were you I would set yourself a small goal, such as "write a program in Python to calculate something". As you need to find out how to do parts you will research those areas. That way you will learn lots. Then keep going from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

I have a phd in data science and I'm rather well versed in python. What is it you need mentoring on?

Advertisement