Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I pay off my Mortgage

• 13-02-2020 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a mortgage with about 4 years left and was wondering should I pay it off.

It's about €600 a month and I have enough to cover it and also some savings for a rainy day fund. Not getting anything like interest from the bank and paying about 3.9% ?

It's only about 24k now so what would you advise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

YES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If the cost of the interest is greater than what you’re seeking in return from the investment then yes power away with finishing the mortgage

Since the lump is in a savings account i assume its earning little to nothing, however if you were to move it over to riskier equities like shares where a higher return is possible then you could do that either, but returns are not guaranteed obviously whereas the money saved on interest from paying a mortgage is

You'll save about €2200 in interest if you pay it off now.
    If you moved to a 2.5% rate product you'd save about half of that without paying it off early.

It's not huge money over 4 years, tenner/week savings ish by paying it off now.

Move to a lower rate and you save about €5/week and still maintain your lump sum as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Pay it off and put money you were paying into mortgage into a pension if you can afford it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Thanks all, I think I will pay it off and save the money I was going to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Mortgage free happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

Definitely! And if you're currently in any sort of pension scheme, look at either increasing contributions or making AVCs to end up with the same net take home pay if you're happy living on that now (will obvs depend on your marginal tax rate).

Advertisement