Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay a small fee if someone vacates a 3 bed council home.

Options
  • 13-02-2020 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭satguy

Before you all start shouting ...

There are lots of 3 bed council homes, but there are lots of people on the waiting list looking for a 3 bed home.

What if an older couple with an empty nest are offered €5k, and a 1 bed apartment. Would this not free up homes.

Cheap 1 or 2 bed flats / apartments, could be built, with the hope the each apartment would free up a 3 bed council home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

satguy wrote: »

There are lots of 3 bed council homes, but there are lots of people on the waiting list looking for a 3 bed home.

What if an older couple with an empty nest are offered €5k, and a 1 bed apartment. Would this not free up homes.

Cheap 1 or 2 bed flats / apartments, could be built, with the hope the each apartment would free up a 3 bed council home.

How about 100grand and the apartment, I'd go for that.
    I do have a three bed for sale if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭satguy

How about 100grand and the apartment, I'd go for that.
    I do have a three bed for sale if your interested.

just €5k, and only €5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A crapload of one bed apartment medium/high rises need to be constructed in Dublin. The amount of people living in houseshares well into their 30s and beyond in the capital is off the charts. While sharing with Mary from Longford, Diego from Brazil and some weird Japanese fella might sound exotic and charming like a sitcom - the novelty wears off when the lad Mary brought home from Dicey's scuttered the shared upstais toilet and you can hear the Japanese lad crying in his room every night.*

*This set of circumstances never happened to me when I used to houseshare, but you get the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If its a council house it should be needs based and reviewed on a regular basis. If you want to pay a token rent then you have to put up with regular reviews and moving if the property is no longer suitable. Of course that'll never happen instead they will sell the 3 bed for next to nothing and not build anything to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Shouldn't need to have to pay them anything ,your housed according to your need you might need 3 /4 when they are popping out kids left right and centre ,
    Housing needs should be regularly reviewed and if a single person in a 3/4 bed property they should be then transferred to a single bed property as humanly possible ,and free up houses for families in need ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Most people in that situation don't need actual cash to change, though help with moving would probably be appreciated.

The main thing is for their new one/two bed place to be in a similar area, and that's where the trouble starts. Moving far away from their current location takes them away from the communities and relationships they've built up in an area - particularly important for when one of them dies. Most don't want to have to change GP/pharmacy etc. If someone's main activity after retirement is gardening, then an apartment may not be suitable. Some older couples start sleeping in separate rooms as their sleep patterns change as they age, or for other health reasons.

If they could get an apartment, perhaps with a little outdoor space, close to their existing location, many would take it - I know one couple who did. The lack of stairs, and not having to manage things like gutters, cleaning a larger area, etc, worked for them. They were also lucky in that their new place allowed pets, so they didn't have to rehome their dog.

TLDR: This already happens, but would probably happen more frequently if there were suitable "downsizing" units near the aging population centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

5k?

Are you on crack?

Do this couple own this 3 bed house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Thoie wrote: »

The main thing is for their new one/two bed place to be in a similar area, and that's where the trouble starts. Moving far away from their current location takes them away from the communities and relationships they've built up in an area - particularly important for when one of them dies. Most don't want to have to change GP/pharmacy etc. If someone's main activity after retirement is gardening, then an apartment may not be suitable. Some older couples start sleeping in separate rooms as their sleep patterns change as they age, or for other health reasons.

Strangely these are the choices people paying fully for their own accommodation have to make all the time if rents/prices rise to levels they can't afford

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Correct me if I am wrong here, but originally council houses were dwellings provided by the council to RENT out to people who couldn't afford a roof over their head.
    When did they suddenly become an effectively free house for life regardless of your circumstances?
    And what's with the "right to buy" scheme?
    If you are wondering where all of the council houses that taxpayers spent so much of their hard earned cash providing went, former council tenants bought them up at "I won the lotto" prices.
    That's why there are no Social houses now. The FF government decided to make a quick buck off the taxpayers. Bertie & company became a dab hand at this trickery and eventually put the country into receivership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

If they don't meet the required need they should be moved. It's not for the tenant to decide, or shouldn't be. This is bad administration and management, don't bore us all, (not you anyone) with Margret Cash tales or other sh*te.
    If you can afford rent on the market, out on your ear. If the kids move out and you've spare rooms, get downsized. Take rent from source, dole/salary.
    Easy fixes really.
    Hopefully the next government has a pair of balls, (no offence ML).

• Advertisement

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Strangely these are the choices people paying fully for their own accommodation have to make all the time if rents/prices rise to levels they can't afford

Yup - I'm one of them. Thankfully I'm still young enough (though definitely not "young") that I can "bounce back" from that kind of thing. It's more difficult for elderly people to do that.

In general right now, most elderly people are settled in accommodation one way or another - long term council tenants, or own their own houses with mortgages well paid off. Their expectation at this point is staying within their existing communities, and I'd encourage that.

The question of what will happen in 30+ years time when older people don't have that security is a big worry.

Yurt! wrote: »
    A crapload of one bed apartment medium/high rises need to be constructed in Dublin. The amount of people living in houseshares well into their 30s and beyond in the capital is off the charts. While sharing with Mary from Longford, Diego from Brazil and some weird Japanese fella might sound exotic and charming like a sitcom - the novelty wears off when the lad Mary brought home from Dicey's scuttered the shared upstais toilet and you can hear the Japanese lad crying in his room every night.*

*This set of circumstances never happened to me when I used to houseshare, but you get the picture.

Single people, especially lads always get a rough go of it. There has always been a shortage of one bedroom places.

Bowie wrote: »
    Single people, especially lads always get a rough go of it. There has always been a shortage of one bedroom places.

The day I moved in with my partner to leave the houseshare life behind for good was one of the happiest days of my life.

Some of the oddballs I lived with over the years, I don't know how I did it. Jerome, with your jar of toenail clippings and sh*te hip-hop music, you are not forgiven for what you put me through.*

*This one is true to life

• Registered Users Posts: 69,043 ✭✭✭✭L1011

just €5k, and only €5k.

Nobody at all would go for that. Cost of moving would easily eat the lot. You'd need to be looking at 20k+ and a blind eye turned to CAT limits if it was handed down to kids immediately.

The Iveagh Trust has managed to encourage a respectable number of larger apartments/houses to be returned to the council by offering proper sheltered elderly units; own door, full kitchen etc but a warden on-site and easy access to doctors, laundry services and other things to make it easier to stay living independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭satguy

lawred2 wrote: »
    5k?

Are you on crack?

Do this couple own this 3 bed house?

If they lived in that house for 20, they might as well own it,, they have tenure, even a judge could not move them out.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but originally council houses were dwellings provided by the council to RENT out to people who couldn't afford a roof over their head.
    When did they suddenly become an effectively free house for life regardless of your circumstances?
    And what's with the "right to buy" scheme?
    If you are wondering where all of the council houses that taxpayers spent so much of their hard earned cash providing went, former council tenants bought them up at "I won the lotto" prices.
    That's why there are no Social houses now. The FF government decided to make a quick buck off the taxpayers. Bertie & company became a dab hand at this trickery and eventually put the country into receivership.

The right to buy scheme was ridiculous, and is what has left us in the hole we're in now to a large extent. However social/council housing is still rented. The amount of rent paid is dependent on the household income - they're not free.

I think the "free" misapprehension comes about from the fact that, for example, a single parent on social welfare pays such a relatively low rent compared to the cost of renting privately that people think of them as practically free. Anyone earning less than €35k a year may meet the criteria to apply for social housing (see DCC website for an example of criteria, and waiting lists).

Good evening, Mr. Deeter.

I have a 3 bedroom home through a housing agency and am looking to downsize. The agency don't have anything suitable and have referred me back to the council who wont entertain it. I have had 2 TD's working on my behalf also and they cannot believe the lack of joined up thinking ie house a family in a 3 bed and downsize to assist this lady. Absolute madness with a severe housing crisis happening.

The right to buy scheme was ridiculous, and is what has left us in the hole we're in now to a large extent. However social/council housing is still rented. The amount of rent paid is dependent on the household income - they're not free.

I think the "free" misapprehension comes about from the fact that, for example, a single parent on social welfare pays such a relatively low rent compared to the cost of renting privately that people think of them as practically free. Anyone earning less than €35k a year may meet the criteria to apply for social housing (see DCC website for an example of criteria, and waiting lists).

The rent is calculated at 16% of the principal earner’s weekly assessable
    income which exceeds €35. After the rent of the principal earner is
    assessed, the same calculation will be applied to the incomes of
    subsidiary earners (i.e. other occupants) in the household, but in
    this case, the rent calculation for each subsidiary earner will be
    capped at €18 per person.
    So in other words jack $hit. Happy days all around.

Right to buy was a cornerstone policy of Thatcher. It was a feature in Ireland though probably a decade and a half before hand if I'm correct. Makes the beneficiaries of it feel very wealthy briefly, but is extremely inequitable and creates more problems down the tracks.

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    The day I moved in with my partner to leave the houseshare life behind for good was one of the happiest days of my life.

Some of the oddballs I lived with over the years, I don't know how I did it. Jerome, with your jar of toenail clippings and sh*te hip-hop music, you are not forgiven for what you put me through.*

*This one is true to life

I once lived with 4 girls. It was an experience. Still in touch with a few of them.
    Preferred living on my own when single. Pal of mine is back living with his folks. He's working. Others I know spend a lot of time driving be it to work or to visit the family in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

satguy wrote:

Why not introduce a bedroom tax for council homes? The occupant pays a tax on each bedroom not in use. A couple in a council house might be happy to downsize if they are paying 5k per year extra due to the two empty bedrooms.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Why not introduce a bedroom tax for council homes? The occupant pays a tax on each bedroom not in use. A couple in a council house might be happy to downsize if they are paying 5k per year extra due to the two empty bedrooms.

That may be reasonable if people are just refusing to downsize, but as you can see from Galwaygirlz82 post, there are people out there who want to downsize, but can't. it would seem unfair, when she's trying to free up a house, to slap an extra tax on her because a smaller alternative isn't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i asked this before but got no satisfactory answer;

people renting in the private sector often have to live in houseshares, I did in my time.

why is there no such thing as a houseshare when it comes to social housing?

Good evening, Mr. Deeter.

Lol, I was thinking the same when I read the post!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,043 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Done in the UK. Utter disaster.

If you try wrap exclusions in for all the reasons it was a disaster it becomes so open that the system is just an admin cost with no savings

people renting in the private sector often have to live in houseshares, I did in my time.

I proposed the same thing the other night (in the pub, so not exactly the place for sensible, reasoned discussion, unlike this delightful forum where everyone is sane and level headed).

One person put forward the vague "insurance" as a potential reason, yet we all managed to house share privately without insurance ever being mentioned. Someone else said maybe if the council put you in a house share with others, and one of them stabbed you or something, the council could be sued. I've never heard of a landlord being sued because of something one tenant did to another, but who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Coukd you imagine throwing some young woman in a house with 2 lads with substance abuse problems. Im all for giving people in social housing the bare minimum but even I can see how this only ends in tears and a massove increase in violent crime, theft and substance abuse.

L1011 wrote: »
    Done in the UK. Utter disaster.

It was only a disaster because if people get stuff for free all their lives, they are going to be the loudest protesters when suddenly they have to contribute something themselves.
    Look what happened here with the Water protests. It wasn't the people doing their Monday to Friday 9-5 slog out on the streets protesting and blocking Lady Joan of Burton's car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

The problem is there is no where for elderly council tenants to downsize too.

Instead of building 100,000 new 3 beds, they should be building a mix, including 1/2 bed units.

Advertisement