Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer withholding wages and holiday pay

Options
  • 13-02-2020 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

It has been an ongoing issue, but now more people are getting involved as some staff hasn't been paid for over a month, some missing hours from previous paylips. They were told a mistake has been made at payroll, or hours got messed up in the system or got a "promise" for a solution... Then in January few people took holiday and got incorrect or zero holiday pay that hasn't been sorted either. Now 3 people are leaving the job, haven't got their holiday pay though their employment finished last week of January. Other one was due holiday pay today which they didn't get. Manager "doesn't know" what is going on, owners of company not availabe, no answer for texts or calls. There is a rumor that they don't have the money.

Also there has been a dismissal, which no one knows if unfair or not. A person was on holiday and then got no pay. He said he won't work until this is sorted, his status then was updated as "employment ceased" in the Revenue system without any notice given to him.

What can we do here? I am planning to go to Citizens Information for advice as I am owed 17 days holiday. Then Workplace Relations to file a complaint? Should everyone go to CI or one person can speak on the behalf of others? How long until we see money if we go this way? Does it worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

All dismissals are considered unfair unless proven otherwise.

Citizens Information won't be able to act on someone's behalf unless they show up themselves. They will be able to advise you on your own case though.

A complaint to the WRC is very easy to do and takes a few minutes only. Have a look at the form yourself and have a think about it before committing.
    https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/complaints_disputes/refer_a_dispute_make_a_complaint/

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Without knowing the name of the company not many will be able to advise you, it does sound like they have no money and are just circling the drain at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep, only payroll issues I’ve ever encountered was be left short a bit of overtime due and it was swiftly rectified, they even offer to write a cheque, for so many people to have their pay down and nobody answering the phone, not a good sign. I’d say your manager knows more then they are letting on, I’d consider getting together with colleagues off site and see about a united stand in partially withdrawing labour... if there is a problem with cash they should grow a pair and communicate this, shady fûcks, be looking elsewhere in the meantime.

Advertisement