Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why not have another GE

Options
  • 13-02-2020 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

So FF say they won’t talk to SF because they said they would pre election. They also said they wouldn’t go back into gov with FG. The numbers therefore don’t add up for any minority gov so why not just call election no 2 now......see if the people really want change

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Mike_C wrote: »
    So FF say they won’t talk to SF because they said they would pre election. They also said they wouldn’t go back into gov with FG. The numbers therefore don’t add up for any minority gov so why not just call election no 2 now......see if the people really want change

Let them come up with something. Cant have FFG throw the decision back at us because they decided of their own volition to exclude SF

Could be like Nice/Lisbon all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s likely we’re heading to another GE.

The spread of seats is too much combined with parties excluding deals with SF.

Another election will let the public roll the dice again most likely providing more seats to one side or the other.

It’s possible FF are posturing to try strengthen their hand dealing with SF, much the same way SF went and talked to all the left before approaching FF, it’s just posturing before actual dealing takes place.

Even if some cobbled together mix of right and left get into government I can’t see it lasting Past the next budget anyway. So it’s either GE now or in a few months time.

The people have spoken. They don’t know what they want either. Doubt a rerun would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Mike_C wrote: »

Because the people spoke. It just didn't suit FF/FG who refuse to even talk about forming a government.
    I get they might have their own mandate but no FG'er voted for FF the last time and that's what they got for 'stability'. Remember 'stability'? seems 'stability' is only needed if it suits FF/FG. So much for 'stability'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Bowie wrote: »
    Because the people spoke. It just didn't suit FF/FG who refuse to even talk about forming a government.
    I get they might have their own mandate but no FG'er voted for FF the last time and that's what they got for 'stability'. Remember 'stability'? seems 'stability' is only needed if it suits FF/FG. So much for 'stability'.

There would be no stability with a FG/SinnFein government. Many feel FF/SF would collapse aswell. The only alternative is a leftwing alliance which can't happne or FF/FG.

I'd take the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

There'll be another election, but the nicieties have to be observed, otherwise one risks the wrath of an electorate who are no mood for cute hoors party first shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't get why SF think they have a right to government now. FF have more seats and are not crying that it's their turn.
    Let SF off. If they can pull a crew together - good for them, if not, someone else might.
    Surely FF and FG will talk, do a little side deal with a few independents then sit back and watch SF fail to gather the numbers. FF and FG likely then going together with independents to form a gov where SF failed.
    Another election might favour SF so FF won't want that. That said, if SF continue with the IRA nonsense, their big vote will quickly vanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    There'll be another election, but the nicieties have to be observed, otherwise one risks the wrath of an electorate who are no mood for cute hoors party first shenanigans.

Or every four and five seater should do like Tipperary and Kerry and return two independents. Cute hoors everywhere would be just the job.

can we not try and do what Belgium did and go without a government for a few months?

It's not like the useless bastards did anything anyway.

There would be no stability with a FG/SinnFein government. Many feel FF/SF would collapse aswell. The only alternative is a leftwing alliance which can't happne or FF/FG.

I'd take the latter.

I'd rather no FF/FG at all but we got the results so that's not happening. They all need be adults and try hash out a middle ground in regards of the results we got when the people voted. You can't keep rolling the dice hoping you'll get a result you prefer, believe me after FG and FF before them, it would have been nice.
    I'm hoping this does serious damage to FF/FG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Does anyone seriously think that the parties want another election?"
    Plenty scope there for a coalition.
    Let them all act the flute for a few weeks and it will fall into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,169 ✭✭✭✭flazio

mickdw wrote: »
    I don't get why SF think they have a right to government now. FF have more seats and are not crying that it's their turn.
    Let SF off. If they can pull a crew together - good for them, if not, someone else might.
    Surely FF and FG will talk, do a little side deal with a few independents then sit back and watch SF fail to gather the numbers. FF and FG likely then going together with independents to form a gov where SF failed.
    Another election might favour SF so FF won't want that. That said, if SF continue with the IRA nonsense, their big vote will quickly vanish.
    Only one and it's the Ceann Comhairle. So it doesn't really count. I reckon we might get FG prop a confidence and supply minority coalition of FF and the Greens. SF still cannot be trusted with the Ministries of Defence and Justice.

I'd rather no FF/FG at all but we got the results so that's not happening. They all need be adults and try hash out a middle ground in regards of the results we got when the people voted. You can't keep rolling the dice hoping you'll get a result you prefer, believe me after FG and FF before them, it would have been nice.
    I'm hoping this does serious damage to FF/FG.

And you think SF will move to the middle ground do you?

Personally, from a slefish view-point, I'd love this left wing alliance to form as it'd be an absolute cluster ****. Can you imagine PBP being in a position to make actual decisions! Nothing would be better for both FG and FF.

Edgware wrote: »

The strange thing is that as soon as that happens the opposition will be hell bent on causing another election. Motions of No Confidence all over the place.

And you think SF will move to the middle ground do you?

Personally, from a slefish view-point, I'd love this left wing alliance to form as it'd be an absolute cluster ****. Can you imagine PBP being in a position to make actual decisions! Nothing would be better for both FG and FF.

Yes I do and they all should. FF/FG are the only brats refusing to even talk.

Fair enough. I don't think they will. But sure we will see.

The vote was on Saturday and the counting finished on Monday. Give them a chance. They managed the process in two months last time, while SF sat on the sidelines doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

mickdw wrote: »

SF had the highest first preference vote exceeding the quota in most of the constituencies they ran in. Majority of FF were elected on transfers. They won the same number of seats. The Ceann Comhairle is automatically re-elected.

It’s evident that the people who voted for them really don’t care about the past. As someone said today, Mary Lou could kick a cat through a fan and she’d still get elected on the first count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Sinn Fein would field more candidates and get more seats right?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Stewball

woohoo!!! wrote: »

It's all about making it look like the other guys caused it.

The campaign for the next election is already on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They said before the election they wouldn't be talking to SF. Now people moan that they are sticking to what they said.
    The election was held with everyone in full knowledge those 2 parties said they wouldn't be dealing with SF.

"We want politicians to stick to their word, except when it suits us"

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

The maths won’t allow a SF + others.
    SF + FG is non runner
    SF + FF is a possibility with Green support
    FG + FF with green support is probably the easiest government to form as policy issues are not insurmountable.
    Whichever government is formed they’ll say... the people have spoken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The last thing any of the politicians want particularly those that barely scrapped in, is another election.
    A plague on all your houses would be the outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Edgware wrote: »

That’s what I think too, surely they’ll sort something out. The last thing people would want is another general election. Didn’t it take them ages to form a government too after the last election in 2016. It seems a bit of a mess now though.

The last thing any of the politicians want particularly those that barely scrapped in, is another election.

That would be them all except most of SF, the greens and the Independents

If they are people of principle they will put that urge for self preservation to one side, and let the electorate get the Change they really want.

If they are people of principle they will put that urge for self preservation to one side, and let the electorate get the Change they really want.

No Fianna Fáiler would walk away from the trough that easy. They aren’t people of principle.

They have family and friends lined up to be appointed to this board and that board

The vote was on Saturday and the counting finished on Monday. Give them a chance. They managed the process in two months last time, while SF sat on the sidelines doing nothing.

I was answering a direct question regarding another election. Take it easy.
    They said before the election they wouldn't be talking to SF. Now people moan that they are sticking to what they said.
    The election was held with everyone in full knowledge those 2 parties said they wouldn't be dealing with SF.

"We want politicians to stick to their word, except when it suits us"

I know. They also said on FF, 'we were all nearly eating out of bins' before entering into a deal with them.
    Being brats isn't good enough, how ever far in advance.
    What if we get the same result? Go again?

No Fianna Fáiler would walk away from the trough that easy. They aren’t people of principle.

But they seem to be sticking to their promise that they would not go into government with SF. And getting criticised for standing by their principles.

• Advertisement

But they seem to be sticking to their promise that they would not go into government with SF. And getting criticised for standing by their principles.

You realise you are suggesting FF have 'principles'.
    It's self preservation. They're worried the surviving civil war families will leave them if they do. Which is fair enough, but it ain't no principles :)

Advertisement