Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why not have another GE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭trashcan

Sinn Féin get plaudits for sticking to their absenteeism of Westminster up north and not breaking promises to their voters.

Now FF and FG do it and SF supporters are outraged.

Couldn't make up the hypocrisy.

Its mind boggling.

Ah now. The situations aren't even close to comparable are they ? Ff and FG ae not refusing to take their seats in the Dail. They are simply refusing to enter Government with SF, as is their right. If they really can't stomach the prospect of Sinn Fein in Government, then they know what they have to do. Really all three parties are positioning themselves to blame the others for not getting a Government together, if that's how it ends up. It's what political parties tend to do, play politics. FF won't want to go in with SF, as it hands FG a stick with which to beat them forevermore "You were the ones who let the terrorists into Government." Both Ff and FG will be afraid to go in together as it leaves SF a clear run at them as the main opposition. SF I think would go in with FF, as they would be doing so from a position of equal strength. They could also blame FF when and if they row back on any of their election pledges. On the other hand I think they wouldn't overly mind an FFG govt, for the same reasons FFG would be wary of it. Leaves them as the main opposition with the possibility of an even stronger performance next time. I really wouldn't know how to call this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

mickdw wrote: »
    I don't get why SF think they have a right to government now. FF have more seats and are not crying that it's their turn.
    Let SF off. If they can pull a crew together - good for them, if not, someone else might.
    Surely FF and FG will talk, do a little side deal with a few independents then sit back and watch SF fail to gather the numbers. FF and FG likely then going together with independents to form a gov where SF failed.
    Another election might favour SF so FF won't want that. That said, if SF continue with the IRA nonsense, their big vote will quickly vanish.

The extra seat wasn't elected, ceann comhairle

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The way this is panning out , I’d prefer another election

• Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The extra seat wasn't elected, ceann comhairle

My point is that is not like SF have 25 seats more than everyone else. They are on a similar share of the seats as the other 2 but are such that neither other party wants to touch them therefore how do they believe that they should be favourite to take power?

mickdw wrote: »
    My point is that is not like SF have 25 seats more than everyone else. They are on a similar share of the seats as the other 2 but are such that neither other party wants to touch them therefore how do they believe that they should be favourite to take power?

They received by far the most votes and would be biggest party had they run more candidates. Hope there is another election. Many in this country can’t face up to another five years of ffg inaction. We’ve had it since the foundation of the state !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Idbatterim wrote: »
    They received by far the most votes and would be biggest party had they run more candidates. Hope there is another election. Many in this country can’t face up to another five years of ffg inaction. We’ve had it since the foundation of the state !

You are only one voter. If there is an election it could throw up the same sort of result. How confident are you that the Left government could be formed from an election next month?

You are only one voter. If there is an election it could throw up the same sort of result. How confident are you that the Left government could be formed from an election next month?

It put it at near fifty / fifty. Many in this country cannot face another five years of ffg doing nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It put it at near fifty / fifty. Many in this country cannot face another five years of ffg doing nothing

But FF and FG are now teaming up again to keep themselves in power so they can keep doing nothing.

74% on the current Boards poll say they would not change their vote. That doesn't point to your expected outcome.

It would be better to spend a few months exploring the possibilities of coming up with a mixture which could see us through the next few years. I think you would be secretly happy to get FFG, so you could keep condemning them for their incompetence. If your lot got in, you would have to defend them, even if it made you look ridiculous.

74% on the current Boards poll say they would not change their vote. That doesn't point to your expected outcome.

It would be better to spend a few months exploring the possibilities of coming up with a mixture which could see us through the next few years. I think you would be secretly happy to get FFG, so you could keep condemning them for their incompetence. If your lot got in, you would have to defend them, even if it made you look ridiculous.

My lot ? You think I thought voting sf was a great option ? Previously voted fg , I’m not a one party for life man. Their outrageously ****e governance is totally unacceptable. You going to be worse off if they actually did something on health , housing , insurance etc ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

jodome wrote: »
    I generally have no interest in politics (despite always voting) but this has definitely been an eye opener of an election.

I don't see another election happening (too much risk for FF and FG to lose more seats, they were the ones that were dragging up to the finish line in the end) but I don't think they will let SF get into power either.

Maybe that would suit Mary Lou just fine: by the looks of it SF didn't go into this thinking seriously they would come out on top. I would have thought their game plan was to lead the opposition and give FF/FG enough rope to hang themselves in the next few years. Now that SF have done so well there will be an expectation they show something for it.

I only hope the Greens don't walk into another disaster for the party after doing so well. Bit of a Catch-22 for them perhaps.

You make a good point about the Greens. They are a luxury vote for plenty of well to do voters but is definitely possible that in a re-election that these voters would value their vote more in terms of keeping Sinn Fein out and vote strategically for FF and FG

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Boards have elected Peter Casey president and were claiming immigration was a big election issue so not exactly masters of accuracy.

My lot ? You think I thought voting sf was a great option ? Previously voted fg , I’m not a one party for life man. Their outrageously ****e governance is totally unacceptable. You going to be worse off if they actually did something on health , housing , insurance etc ?

What possessed you to vote for FG?

What possessed you to vote for FG?

The previous election? Ff aren’t even an option. Sf at that stage wouldn’t have been for me either. But how much bull**** and inaction can you listen too , before you realise , you are having the piss taken out of you ?

The previous election? Ff aren’t even an option. Sf at that stage wouldn’t have been for me either. But how much bull**** and inaction can you listen too , before you realise , you are having the piss taken out of you ?

You have a bleak outlook on life. The worst part is that you are in a country which has achieved an astonishing increase in longevity. So you might have to put up with it for a long time.

trashcan wrote: »
    Ah now. The situations aren't even close to comparable are they ? Ff and FG ae not refusing to take their seats in the Dail. They are simply refusing to enter Government with SF, as is their right. If they really can't stomach the prospect of Sinn Fein in Government, then they know what they have to do. Really all three parties are positioning themselves to blame the others for not getting a Government together, if that's how it ends up. It's what political parties tend to do, play politics. FF won't want to go in with SF, as it hands FG a stick with which to beat them forevermore "You were the ones who let the terrorists into Government." Both Ff and FG will be afraid to go in together as it leaves SF a clear run at them as the main opposition. SF I think would go in with FF, as they would be doing so from a position of equal strength. They could also blame FF when and if they row back on any of their election pledges. On the other hand I think they wouldn't overly mind an FFG govt, for the same reasons FFG would be wary of it. Leaves them as the main opposition with the possibility of an even stronger performance next time. I really wouldn't know how to call this.

Good summary. I think if FF had 10 more seats than SF they would be going for a coalition with them as they would be the lead side in government, could give SF housing and health and get on with it.

I think that the situation now would demand a shared Taoiseach and would be too much to bear for FF. This is the reason they won't go for it. Fair enough and their choice to make.

Do people using the term FFG actually realise that their opinions have been compromised by social media hype ? I like to think for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭quodec

Would it be beyond the bounds of possibility for the three main parties to negotiate a 'grand alliance' of FF/FG/SF? 100+ seats, a secure Dail if agreed portfolios reached and equal kudos/blame for subsequent action on housing, health, Brexit etc. Ok, sounds like a national government but must be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Do people using the term FFG actually realise that their opinions have been compromised by social media hype ? I like to think for myself.

The fact that FF and FG are basically Patty and Selma from the Simpsons and can only be told apart by their party colour schemes has been noted for decades and long before social media. If you did a blind taste test (so to speak) of their manifestos, I'd bet the house most people couldn't tell which was which with any degree of consistency or accuracy.

People say it because it's the truth. We must be one of the few countries in Europe that have their two main parties running around taking lumps out of each other for show but saying the exact same thing on each key policy pain point.

They can count themselves lucky the electorate hasn't pushed both of them into the same room until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Does anyone remember election 2007 and the PD’s were expected to lose all their seats. It was expected SF would have a slight increase in seats. (They lost one though) Anyway there was talk within FF and in the media of getting SF to prop them up.

Fianna Fáil just don’t want to be equal partners here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

bilbot79 wrote:
    Sinn Fein would field more candidates and get more seats right?

The stories about various unsavoury candidates and their moronic 'Up the RA' incident and 'apology' will have alarmed a lot of people. I think if there is a second round the Soc Dems could do well, as a non RA tainted left, if they can put up enough candidates and deliberately market themselves as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Does anyone remember election 2007 and the PD’s were expected to lose all their seats. It was expected SF would have a slight increase in seats. (They lost one though) Anyway there was talk within FF and in the media of getting SF to prop them up.

Fianna Fáil just don’t want to be equal partners here.
    And don't forget FG's indirect approach to SF in the same decade.
    Three years ago Kenny was talking about the possibility as was his Mayo colleague Ring and others in FG.

It's complete bullsh1te this 'stability of the state' grandiose crap both FF and FG are pushing - they cannot contemplate it as SF are not a junior party to be used and discarded like the minions of Labour and Greens previously.

Both are out to destroy or diminish any other party that ever threatened their cosy consensus and that party is SF.
    It was never Labour, they were always the idiot mudguard.

Again, IMO they are both such fools they cannot see that the general public see this quite clearly - they have been massively spooked and still cannot quite believe this has happened (especially FF)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

spurious wrote: »
    The stories about various unsavoury candidates and their moronic 'Up the RA' incident and 'apology' will have alarmed a lot of people. I think if there is a second round the Soc Dems could do well, as a non RA tainted left, if they can put up enough candidates and deliberately market themselves as such.

I'm thinking the same. 24 hours in and Mary Lou is on damage control.

I'd say there's plenty who voted Sinn Fein who just wanted to give the big 2 a real scare. No one ever thought they would get so close to being in Government. Job done essentially if a new GE is called.

Many will have has time to reflect and will probably move their vote from SF for a more moderate left party.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Many will have has time to reflect and will probably move their vote from SF for a more moderate left party.

What moderate left parties is there, and what if there's very few options in some constituents?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

spurious wrote: »

None of this would put me off voting sinn fein again. All the media bashing of Sinn Fein is just making people more resolute, I think they’ll get at least 10 more candidates across the line if there is another election. FFG are showing total disrespect for the voters and for democracy. No one is being fooled anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Yes and then SF can do what their supporters want.

1. Control all forms of print and digital media and disband RTE and Virgin Media. Replace it with Gerry Adams cooking show 24/7.

2. Ban FF and FG from ever running candidates again.

3. Most importantly change the Maths Syllabus to always make 25% bigger than 75% because when it comes to elections only the 25% matter

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Good summary. I think if FF had 10 more seats than SF they would be going for a coalition with them as they would be the lead side in government, could give SF housing and health and get on with it.

I think that the situation now would demand a shared Taoiseach and would be too much to bear for FF. This is the reason they won't go for it. Fair enough and their choice to make.
    They'd have to ask their members via an Ard Fheis/party vote and they would swallow a FF FG coalition quicker. The exit poll had 60% of FF voters never voting SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So a bit of Section 31 there for Joe Duffy then? Very democratic that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You're using Twitter as a reference. Mad Ted.

Advertisement