Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking your advice on Making a new hire feel better following a rough day

Options
  • 13-02-2020 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

I work in an accountants and manage a team of 7 in Ireland

I hired a new accountant 3 weeks ago and this week was the main busy week when he got down to busy with with our clients and other duties in detail(he did a bit of admin and calling up until this point so he was comfortable and well capable)

He was in training up until this point and he is a brilliant hire and very intelligent

He spoke with many clients and handle different duties in the past 3 weeks and is very competent

However, literally due to bad luck today he got a spade of fairly bad phone calls from clients today (4) and 2 was particularly tough were for him.

I took over all cases as soon as and closed them out (they didn't even ask for a manager but I took over as soon as) but unfortunately he got the initial calls and emails

I felt he was getting overwhelmed by the whole thing plus other work that needed to be completed so I moved desk and worked closely with him and we closed everything out

He was much happier by the end of the day but I'm concerned he is gone home thinking about his awful new job dealing with people /clients

It isn't always like this at all, but it was just complete bad luck and the issues were unavoidable and nothing he caused

Rather than do nothing and tomorrow go on i want to have a chat in the morning with him in private and let him know that the job isn't like this and he is a great hire and well capable plus I (and the team) are on hand for any support

It was just one bad day and it shouldn't reflect on this new job he has taken

Do you think this is a good approach and would you add anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I wish you were my manager when I trained!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Get him a dozen red roses for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I wish you were my manager when I trained!

Ha, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

wally1990 wrote:
    Rather than do nothing and tomorrow go on i want to have a chat in the morning with him in private and let him know that the job isn't like this and he is a great hire and well capable plus I (and the team) are on hand for any support

Just do and say exactly this, and maybe ask him if there's anything that he'd like you to do to be more supportive. Sounds like a nice environment anyway going by your approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Maybe forward him a link to your post. Shows him you care. Well done OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Well done OP,

the chat is a great idea, perhaps if you could go out for a coffee and have the chat in a more relaxed environment

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Maybe forward him a link to your post. Shows him you care. Well done OP.

Don't do this: it makes you look like you have no clue how to manage a simple situation.

Have the coffee and chat for sure.

But what his colleagues say about the situation will be far more important than what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Firstly OP.
    You sound like a great manager.

Secondly,
    As other have said , pull the chap in, get him in a coffee, or tea, or what ever young people drink, and say how happy you were how he handled the situation that is, by all accounts ( see what I did there) not a normal day or situation.

Thirdly,
    Maybe, just maybe, a quick 2 min word with the team to say that the day was a long one for ALL, and that a team you are happy they all support each other and can come to you, or the team, with any issues.

As other have said, God I wish you were my manager when I started out.
    First meeting I ever had I got a measuring tape thrown at me by my boss.

Advertisement