Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone PAYG

• 13-02-2020 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Was on Vodafone for years, either topping up €20 or €30 whenever I needed to get a pack of free calls, texts and data while keeping the credit.

Went off them for a few weeks to another network I have just found to be worse so want to go back to Vodafone. But now they tell me the only way to have PAYG with Vodafone is to opt into one of their new plans such as Chat Extra, Smart Extra etc... You get a deal with lots of calls and texts and data but they take the €20/€30 from you forcing you to top up again after 28 days.

Whatever happened to just being able to top up by something and keep the credit? Seems like a new way to force us to top up more often.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

You can still top up by an amount less than the plan price and use the credit as needed. However there aren't any plans with inclusive allowances that don't take credit. The plan you were on before leaving is probably not available to new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

Thanks for letting me know. That is really unfortunate. I used to make €30 stretch to almost 3 months but I guess they caught onto things like that even though there is probably hardly any of us who can do that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Stewball

I'm in the same boat. €20/€30 can stretch even further if you use add ons too.

Voadafone Add Ons

Stewball wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. €20/€30 can stretch even further if you use add ons too.

Voadafone Add Ons

Yes, that's how I managed to get by. Had I not left Vodafone to check out another network I could still have kept this plan as it continues for existing customers. But if I return it's no longer available. So that's me finished with Vodafone. Seems like Three is the only network to allow you keep your credit now while also receiving a deal. Problem is their extortionate out of bundle data charges if you don't buy the data add-on in time (€1.01 per mb)

door wrote: »
    Yes, that's how I managed to get by. Had I not left Vodafone to check out another network I could still have kept this plan as it continues for existing customers. But if I return it's no longer available. So that's me finished with Vodafone. Seems like Three is the only network to allow you keep your credit now while also receiving a deal. Problem is their extortionate out of bundle data charges if you don't buy the data add-on in time (€1.01 per mb)

I switched back to Vodafone from eir in October.
    I top up by €20 and I get unlimited call & texts Vodafone mobiles and 250mb data and I get to keep the €20 and I spend it on add on when I need them.

Are you sure you can't sign up to that?
    I selected the offer through the MyVodafone log in.

• Advertisement

I switched back to Vodafone from eir in October.
    I top up by €20 and I get unlimited call & texts Vodafone mobiles and 250mb data and I get to keep the €20 and I spend it on add on when I need them.

Are you sure you can't sign up to that?
    I selected the offer through the MyVodafone log in.

That might be possible, could depend on where SIM is bought (in store, online etc). 250MB would only be useful for very very light use. If that limit is exceeded it's 2 euro per day for anything up to 100MB.

The plan that OP might have had was a Data User plan which included 15GB and keep 20 euro top up.

The only other network (apart from 3) that offers keep credit is Lyca but they have drawbacks too (only 3G, patchy coverage depending on location, less than fantastic customer service).

Ten Pin wrote: »
    That might be possible, could depend on where SIM is bought (in store, online etc). 250MB would only be useful for very very light use. If that limit is exceeded it's 2 euro per day for anything up to 100MB.

Yeah, the 250MB is useless really. I normally purchase the €5 1GB add on too - which is enough for me as I'm usually around wifi coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Gooser14

The mistake you made was in porting your number from VF before testing the new service provider using the number they provided.

The plan that OP might have had was a Data User plan which included 15GB and keep 20 euro top up.

No, I just used to top up with €30 and get free VF to VF calls, texts and 500mb of Data for 28 days. You could keep the €30 in credit and I used to use that to buy add-on data and make non VF calls. I have been in touch with VF and they tell me this option no longer is available except for those who never left Vodafone. So now they have lost at least one customer who was planning to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Yeah seems all the networks now want there regular contribution every month...or pay extortionate charges

GOmo for €13 a month for unlimited everything....

€39 for 3 moths not quite as good as your old deal but close...

• Advertisement

door wrote:
    No, I just used to top up with €30 and get free VF to VF calls, texts and 500mb of Data for 28 days. You could keep the €30 in credit and I used to use that to buy add-on data and make non VF calls. I have been in touch with VF and they tell me this option no longer is available except for those who never left Vodafone. So now they have lost at least one customer who was planning to return.

Try texting Free Net (might be a sinngle word) to 50222 before you top up. This might get you back on your old PAYG plan.

Thanks for the help and suggestions and thanks also to Gooser14. Unfortunately at this stage I won't risk porting my number back to Vodafone and paying anything in case these suggestions no longer work. Since VF have told me these plans no longer exist they obviously don't want my business. A VF rep even told me there website is out of date when I directed them to a link on their site which shows a €20 top up where you get calls/text/data and keep the credit.

Just get a new VF SIM to see whether the codes still work. If they do then port your number back to VF. I was given the code about two years ago by a VF shop assistant & it wasn't listed on their web site at that time either as it is a legacy plan. It might be worth asking in another VF shop whether the FREENET legacy plan is still available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Have it confirmed from a Vodafone rep that texting FREENET to 50233 will reinstate the legacy offer that you’re looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Can anyone confirm you can go back to one of the legacy plans? I was on €20 and keep your credit plan and switched to Gomo before Christmas and regret moving. I would move back now if I could.

castle2012 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm you can go back to one of the legacy plans? I was on €20 and keep your credit plan and switched to Gomo before Christmas and regret moving. I would move back now if I could.

I moved back to Vodafone after a few years with Eir in October and I'm on a free VF calls & texts and keep my €20 credit plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

"switched to Gomo before Christmas and regret moving."

Why the buyers remorse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

paddy19 wrote: »
    "switched to Gomo before Christmas and regret moving."

Why the buyers remorse?

Why the buyers remorse:
    1. Vodafone data much better no drops
    2. I like the fact you keep your credit.
    3. Since moving to go Mo my bill has never been €9.99. Its always more. For some reason some texts are been charged as mms's. 30 cent each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

castle2012 wrote: »
    Why the buyers remorse:
    1. Vodafone data much better no drops
    2. I like the fact you keep your credit.
    3. Since moving to go Mo my bill has never been €9.99. Its always more. For some reason some texts are been charged as mms's. 30 cent each.

1. Well you can always move back.
    2. It's most likely half the price you were paying with Vodafone so they couldn't let you keep the credit too.
    3. You need to change the settings in your messages app so it doesn't send group texts as MMS.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

I know this is old topic but can someone confirm that it will work now - i did the same mistake with moving to three and then legacy plans were gone. If not i will try to order new sim card from vodafone.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Checked that keyword there now and it's no longer working.

I was able to check it today as well and yes - it's not working anymore so stuck with three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Switched one phone to Vodafone PAYG about 2 months. In all that time I would say the phone app for checking your balance etc, is working on only about 25% of the time. Anyone else have that.

Haven't ever used the app but the web version of My Vodafone has usage and balance details that are probably from the same source as the app. The web version has occasional glitches but seems fine otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Are there short codes you can use instead.

Text BAL to 50233 for balance details.

Advertisement