Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thornton's Vs Greyhound waste collection in North Kildare?

Options
  • 13-02-2020 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm currently a Thornton's customer and am considering moving to Greyhound.

I'm based in North Kildare and am wondering what are boardies experiences of using Greyhound, do they offer a good service? To be fair, I've never had any hassle with Thorntons but I can save money going with Greyhound.

All feedback is appreciated thanks :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

With Greyhound for over 3 years. No complaints. In my area (Leixlip) they collect the bins very late in the day. 6.30pm would be typical for the black bin. Brown bin goes out the same day, but is collected a bit earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CCR

Changed to Greyhound from Thornton's in Celbridge last year and no issues. Good bit cheaper as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

AES might be another to consider too.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Thanks to all of you for the feedback, its VERY much appreciated:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Im with AES for a good few years now. Found them cheaper than any of the others for the amount I dispose of. Check out their different rates (flat, weight, collection) to see which might suit you best.

https://www.aesirl.ie/home/prices-by-weight/?cnt=933&tnl=
    https://thorntons-recycling.ie/domestic/domestic-services/

I wasn't aware that Greyhound collected in North Kildare. They certainly don't in Maynooth.

• Advertisement

Orion wrote: »
    Im with AES for a good few years now. Found them cheaper than any of the others for the amount I dispose of. Check out their different rates (flat, weight, collection) to see which might suit you best.

https://www.aesirl.ie/home/prices-by-weight/?cnt=933&tnl=
    https://thorntons-recycling.ie/domestic/domestic-services/

I wasn't aware that Greyhound collected in North Kildare. They certainly don't in Maynooth.

I'll take a look thanks Orion!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had customer service issues with AES worse than anyone other than an airline; Thorntons have been fine for bins - but a bit awkward for skips, so I use Dollys for those.

If you have a strong stomach for customer services issues and want a glass bin, AES are currently the only game in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

L1011 wrote: »
    Had customer service issues with AES worse than anyone other than an airline; Thorntons have been fine for bins - but a bit awkward for skips, so I use Dollys for those.

If you have a strong stomach for customer services issues and want a glass bin, AES are currently the only game in town.

I've never had an issue with customer service with AES. I'd had to call them a couple of times. Once my own fault as I forgot to pay my bill on time and wanted to make sure the bin was collected the next day - no problem at all there. Other 2 or 3 times are when the bin went missing after collection - new one delivered in a few days without any hassle.

Glass bin not worth considering tbh. It's a nice to have but it's only collected every three months. So still plenty of trips to the bottle bank for us.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thorntons customer service was awful like absolutely terrible.
    No issues with AES but never needed customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Orion wrote: »
    I've never had an issue with customer service with AES. I'd had to call them a couple of times. Once my own fault as I forgot to pay my bill on time and wanted to make sure the bin was collected the next day - no problem at all there. Other 2 or 3 times are when the bin went missing after collection - new one delivered in a few days without any hassle.

Glass bin not worth considering tbh. It's a nice to have but it's only collected every three months. So still plenty of trips to the bottle bank for us.

I am fairly sure they operate the glass bin as a loss leader- as the glass is mixed, when they send it the processor (Glassco) it has to be run through the system twice (very expensive conveyor belt/laser/jets of air to push contaminants and wrong-coloured glass out of the stream).

Without knowing the ins and outs of the costs of this I would say that all AES customers pay a little extra for those that have the glass bin (and not all AES customers are offered it) so I would suggest you are right in not considering it as being worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

L1011 wrote: »

Here in Newbridge, AES were the predominant bin collector in the Estate I'm in. However, every March when we had an RA AGM, costs of vin collection always came up, and invariably, there were major differences when it came to AES. Next door neighbour to me was even on a different scale for collections to me with AES.

I gave up and moved over to Thornton's. Haven't had a problem with them since, and it is comforting that everyone pays the same.

I can only endorse what L1011 says above regarding AES.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jorry

With AES and highly recommend, they price match competition and then factor in the quarterly bottle bin collection convenience...
    Was with Thorntons twice and found them incompetent in my dealings with them. I compare all household utility bills annually and AES come in same or price match, the bottle bin is the decider for me.

Allied Waste are another vendor in N. Kildare but I have never heard anything about them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

I suppose experiences can vary based on who the local driver happens to be, or many other factors.

In my case, I tried AES a few years ago, and found them very unreliable. I live in a small cul-de-sac, and found that they missed my house quite often. Given that black bin collection is supposed to be every second week, that could leave a month between lifts. It was stressful over Christmas! I rang them a number of times, but they usually told me that I mustn't have left the bin out in time, or that there must have been a car in front of it. Neither was the case, but they were quite insistent about it. I didn't like that. All they offered was to collect extra refuse bags from me next time.

I've been with Thorntons since, and they've been flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

AES are the biggest shower of cowboys if you've any other choice go elsewhere. As tjhook said above I've had the exact same experience of missed collections and then being blamed for it, CCTV of the lads walking passed it and they didn't give a dam.

The time they did grace us with their presence they managed to crash in to the back and side of my car writing it off

OP here, thanks again for all the advice, I ended up sticking with Thornton's in the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

If you tell Thornton's you're moving to Greyhound they should match their prices. Two of my neighbours did it last year.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

CSSE09 wrote: »
    AES are the biggest shower of cowboys if you've any other choice go elsewhere. As tjhook said above I've had the exact same experience of missed collections and then being blamed for it, CCTV of the lads walking passed it and they didn't give a dam.

The time they did grace us with their presence they managed to crash in to the back and side of my car writing it off

Yowza. There's poor customer service and then there's that!

Been with AES over 3 years now. Ultra reliable in my experience.

Advertisement