Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bang on last day of policy

• 13-02-2020 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

So, I had a bit of a bang in the missus's car. I pulled into a lane and didn't see the car coming up the inside. Light damage to my wing, little dent in the other cars door.
    Insurance is renewing tomorrow, and I'm changing provider, bought and paid for.
    I know it's the old policy, but do I have to let the new insurer know. Do they requote? This is now an unresolved claim, so can I even change to new if they requote?
    Probably 1500 damage to both. Other driver wasn't hurt. Best to suck it up and pay myself and not claim?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

So, I had a bit of a bang in the missus's car. I pulled into a lane and didn't see the car coming up the inside. Light damage to my wing, little dent in the other cars door.
    Insurance is renewing tomorrow, and I'm changing provider, bought and paid for.
    I know it's the old policy, but do I have to let the new insurer know. Do they requote? This is now an unresolved claim, so can I even change to new if they requote?
    Probably 1500 damage to both. Other driver wasn't hurt. Best to suck it up and pay myself and not claim?

YES - notify them or you are open to being accused of misrepresentation with it's attendant difficulties !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

if you arent at fault , ( cast iron )

id pay it my self and not let any of them know ( old or new )
    cos they WILL f*ck you over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,461 ✭✭✭✭Esel

DaDumTish wrote: »

OP says it was their fault...

Either way, what if the other party lodges a claim for personal injury (soft tissue of course...)?

Not your ornery onager

DaDumTish wrote: »

Bad idea IMHO.

CURRENT INSURERS.

OP obliged to notify them under contract.
    OP obliged to notify them under statute - RTA 1961 - S.71 / S.72 .

NEW INSURERS.

OP must notify them. Failure to do so constitutes non-disclosure which generates more problems.
    Non-disclosure / misrepresentation is an offence under RTA 1961 - S.64.
    Failure to notify renders the new contract voidable at the option of the new insurers once discovered.

The principal problem here is that OP will have entered in to a contract with the new insurer on the basis of certain assumptions.
    The accident alters the contractual assumptions so remaining silent creates an effective and blatant non-disclosure.

Insurance contracts are written uberrima fides [utmost good faith].
    Non-disclosure offends seriously against the principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭diggerdigger

after pondering, I ended up notifying my insurer on my own policy as I had comprehensive cover to drive other cars, rather than as a named driver on my missus's car.

Also I didn't realise I have full NCB protection, so hopefully not too painful.

Thanks for the advice all.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 38 Premeditated Joke

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Bad idea IMHO.

CURRENT INSURERS.

OP obliged to notify them under contract.
    OP obliged to notify them under statute - RTA 1961 - S.71 / S.72 .

NEW INSURERS.

OP must notify them. Failure to do so constitutes non-disclosure which generates more problems.
    Non-disclosure / misrepresentation is an offence under RTA 1961 - S.64.
    Failure to notify renders the new contract voidable at the option of the new insurers once discovered.

The principal problem here is that OP will have entered in to a contract with the new insurer on the basis of certain assumptions.
    The accident alters the contractual assumptions so remaining silent creates an effective and blatant non-disclosure.

Insurance contracts are written uberrima fides [utmost good faith].
    Non-disclosure offends seriously against the principle.
    It's all very well to say all that, but are you going to take an educated guess as to how much the insurance cartel will rise his insurance due to their knowledge of this accident?

hopefully not too painful.
    Please tell us the verdict?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It's all very well to say all that, but are you going to take an educated guess as to how much the insurance cartel will rise his insurance due to their knowledge of this accident?

The alternative is 'lie' or evade the question and if they find out your screwed even more. I know of someone who was blacklisted by the Insurance industry for doing this.

I think the question asked is something like 'have you been involved in an accident within X number of years'?'
    They're not asking 'did you cause an accident or make a claim within X number of years?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The 2020 Cartel handbook says 19.5%. Sorry, not allowed post link

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The alternative is 'lie' or evade the question and if they find out your screwed even more. I know of someone who was blacklisted by the Insurance industry for doing this.
    I agree, but if someone's going to act as if they know it all they say "oh btw, I don't actually have any idea how much your insurance is going to rise due to this... even due I'm acting as if I do".

That poster basically told the OP what he already knew.
    I think the question asked is something like 'have you been involved in an accident within X number of years'?'
    So they don't discriminate between drivers who caused a crash and drivers who were hit by another driver?
    They're not asking 'did you cause an accident or make a claim within X number of years?'
    That's what they should ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,461 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It's all very well to say all that, but are you going take an educated guess as to how much the to insurance cartel will rise his insurance due to their knowledge of this accident?
    If their policy is voided, would you take an educated guess as to how much the quotes from other insurers would be?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    If their policy is voided, would you take an educated guess as to how much the quotes from other insurers would be?
    But assuming there's no bitterness from the other driver (e.g, that they were taken care of properly, and in a timely manner, offered any extra expenses while their car was out of action... such as rental car fees, taxi fares, etc) then there is no possible way that the insurance company will ever find out.

So it's a question of, do the odds make up for the prices involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

...then there is no possible way that the insurance company will ever find out.

Don’t underestimate people’s greed once someone has a chat with them about how much they could get.

No, because I am not an insurance underwriter :rolleyes:

All I have done is to caution OP against the considerable risks he runs if he does not follow the law on this subject thus avoiding the situation as exemplified by Fann Linn at post #9

Advertisement