Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Priority Switch Problems

Options
  • 13-02-2020 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I have a setup at the moment with two electric shower. Shower A and shower B. They are on a priority switch. So if Shower B was on and shower A was turned on then shower B would turn off till shower A finished

All good. Got a car charger about 3 years ago. This was installed as well. No problem. It would turn off as well once Shower A or Shower B was turned on

Last few months I have a problem. I can't seem to rectify. If I have car plugged in, doesn't even need to be charging. Shower B is not been used. If shower A is used then power is cut to shower B.

Check the switch board and nothing tripped, I need to pull the switch down and put back up and then bang shower goes again. This is just happening randomly and I have tried all combinations myself and nothing then 20 mins later I go in and its gone.

Asked electrician and he said could be charger cable so I swapped it and same problem.

He mentioned it could be high moisture in the bathroom with the shower????

Any idea? and why would it not fully trip down the switch but cut the power off??? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok, I have a setup at the moment with two electric shower. Shower A and shower B. They are on a priority switch. So if Shower B was on and shower A was turned on then shower B would turn off till shower A finished

All good. Got a car charger about 3 years ago. This was installed as well. No problem. It would turn off as well once Shower A or Shower B was turned on

Last few months I have a problem. I can't seem to rectify. If I have car plugged in, doesn't even need to be charging. Shower B is not been used. If shower A is used then power is cut to shower B.

Check the switch board and nothing tripped, I need to pull the switch down and put back up and then bang shower goes again. This is just happening randomly and I have tried all combinations myself and nothing then 20 mins later I go in and its gone.

Asked electrician and he said could be charger cable so I swapped it and same problem.

He mentioned it could be high moisture in the bathroom with the shower????

Any idea? and why would it not fully trip down the switch but cut the power off??? Thanks

What switch exactly is tripping or what switch do you have to pull down to reset. Post a pic if possible. Sometimes the rcd on electric showers have to be replaced over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Picture attached

The writing with Shower 1 & Shower 2 was originally put on it prior to charger

The switch I have to flick is the one with the blue button on it.

That’s the rcd.
    My advice is to get a rec to investigate

meercat wrote: »
    That’s the rcd.
    My advice is to get a rec to investigate

Had electrician in.....

He said they never break .....said it was condensation :confused:

I am just wondering what it might be?

Had electrician in.....

He said they never break .....said it was condensation :confused:

I am just wondering what it might be?

I’ve replaced numerous rcd’s
    If it’s condensation,where is it getting in and causing a trip.
    You need a competent rec to come in and test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Had electrician in.....

He said they never break

I sometimes wonder how humanity made it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

They break all the time

I’ve replaced numerous rcd’s
    If it’s condensation,where is it getting in and causing a trip.
    You need a competent rec to come in and test

He said condensation at the shower not at the trip switch

Sounds dodgy to me

He said condensation at the shower not at the trip switch

Sounds dodgy to me

Did he do an insulation resistance test to confirm this or just a visual inspection. A notice of potential hazard should have been issued
    Get a competent rec in as this is a safety device and should be functioning correctly

Did he do an insulation resistance test to confirm this or just a visual inspection. A notice of potential hazard should have been issued
    Get a competent rec in as this is a safety device and should be functioning correctly

Visual

It was strange because the switch is not tripping but it is still stopping power. It was happening every so often a few months ago...nothing has changed and now regular occurrence.

Based on that I took it that it was failing. The electrician was onsite for another installation so I threw him a few quid to look at it, said nothing was wrong. Had to be condensation in the shower or something which was bridging the electricity and that was causing it to short out....I thought the answer was suspect but he didnt end up charging anything so left it.....windows wide open, no condensation in bathroom and still same random issue

I have checked interior of shower, all the switch's to make sure nothing looking dodgy and all ok....so only thing I can think is the trip switch is failing

Will need to ring someone else :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,102 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Shefwedfan wrote:
    He said they never break .....said it was condensation

As a shower repair company we have to replace dozens of RCBOs per year. Most seem very healthy but some can become over sensitive. You can put an electric shower in a steam room in a gym & it shouldn't suffer from the condensation. I have seen a shower needing the RCBO replaced three or even four times before everything settles down. I have seen a brand new RCBO trip on a shower & have to be replaced. The same RCBO could then work perfectly with another shower of the exact same make & model.

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Based on that I took it that it was failing. The electrician was onsite for another installation so I threw him a few quid to look at it, said nothing was wrong. Had to be condensation in the shower or something which was bridging the electricity and that was causing it to short out....I thought the answer was suspect but he didnt end up charging anything so left it.....windows wide open, no condensation in bathroom and still same random issue

What piece of equipment did he use to determine this?

Pay a good REC to replace the RCBO that is tripping. This should resolve the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Xwebstar2

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    As a shower repair company we have to replace dozens of RCBOs per year. Most seem very healthy but some can become over sensitive. You can put an electric shower in a steam room in a gym & it shouldn't suffer from the condensation. I have seen a shower needing the RCBO replaced three or even four times before everything settles down. I have seen a brand new RCBO trip on a shower & have to be replaced. The same RCBO could then work perfectly with another shower of the exact same make & model.

Sounds more like black magic than electrical work

I haven't seen massive numbers of faulty Rcbos over the years

Thanks guys, I was thinking it was the issue

Like last night I turned on everything I could to see if I could over the switch, showers and all going and it worked like it should do

Then in middle of night, no load and get up this morning and it’s tripped, now unless a f**ker of a ghost needed a shower I have nonidea

Xwebstar2 wrote: »

Neither have I. That does not mean they do not go faulty.

Another thing with RCDs and water, in a sort of matter of interest type way, it certainly can cause trips. But it is nothing like the conductor most seem to think it is.

Here is a photo with meter set in the 2 amp scale, one probe on a socket phase, the other in a stream of water from a tap. Not a broken droplet spray such as with a shower, but a continuous unbroken stream.

6.8ma for the length of stream in this particular moment.

mas_1_orig.jpg

Why would you? You don't work on a thousand or more electric showers per year so I wouldn't expect you to come across massive amounts of them. We'd replace more pull cord switches in a year than most electricians would in a lifetime. I've an electrician that earns more than the average industrial wage just from the RCBO & pull cord switch work I hand him each week alone.

And there's thousands of homes out there with Rcbos and they'd be calling registered contractors to replace them, which they're not ime

It seems to me that you advocate Rcbo trial+error replacement as a quick fix to solve issues external to the shower

Pull-cord replacement is a major issue , no dispute there

Xwebstar2 wrote:
    And there's thousands of homes out there with Rcbos and they'd be calling registered contractors to replace them, which they're not ime

No homeowners rarely do this. They call in shower repair companies who determine the issue and replace the RCBO with success.
    Xwebstar2 wrote:
    It seems to me that you advocate Rcbo trial+error replacement as a quick fix to solve issues external to the shower

Not trial and error. General Rule of thumb in shower repair is if it trips instantly & every time then the issue is likely to be the shower. If it trips intermittently then the issue is most likely not the shower.
    Xwebstar2 wrote:
    Pull-cord replacement is a major issue , no dispute there

With respect, your attitude here is not unlike OPs electrician. He believes that an electric shower intermittently tripping definitely isn't a faulty RCBO. He actually suggested that an electric shower that's designed, tested and passed to operate in a bathroom, with not just steam but with water splashing on it, was tripping the RCBO (even when not in use) because there was steam in the bathroom. Because he hadn't come across faulty and over sensitive RCBOs before he believed that they don't exist. He'd rather believe the improbable than entertain the idea that the RCBO could be at fault. This sounded ridiculous, even to OP, who then started the thread to try get to the bottom of the problem.

Just because you never or rarely see over sensitive RCBOs doesn't mean that they don't exist. You limit your ability to successfully diagnose a problem if you automatically reject the most likely cause. I'd be pretty certain if OP reports back here when problem is solved that he has a faulty RCBO/priority sw switch

I've been called out to faulty showers and RCD/Rcbo trips for 20 years

Faulty Rcbos has never been a major issue

Sure, if you swop it out 3-4 times the problem may go away

• Advertisement

I'd also dispute that homeowners are calling shower repair companies for Rcbo trips and rarely electricians

I've been called out to faulty showers and RCD/Rcbo trips for 20 years

Faulty Rcbos has never been a major issue

Sure, if you swop it out 3-4 times the problem may go away

Well working on 1000 plus shower every year for 30 years I would expect to see faulty RCBS much more often then you do. The beauty with the RCBO is that isnt designed to be over sensitive rather than under sensitive
    I'd also dispute that homeowners are calling shower repair companies for Rcbo trips and rarely electricians

Dispute all you want. Fact is shower breaks people call a shower repair company. How do you suppose we make a living doing nothing else but electric & power showers? How do we work on 1000 shower pr year & you get a handfull of shower calls?

You understand this is my specialty right? I work at this & only this all day everyday?

I'll leave you with whatever beliefs you want. I'm not going to keep replying to what is really tunnel vision.

Best advice for OP is to get a good REC in to investigate. I assume OP has learned a lesson with the sparks he called & wont be using him again. Fingers crossed OP will report back with the answer to the mystery

I know this has taken a life of it own

In reality I probably would have called a shower person only for the fact the electric car charger was on the same priority switch so I thought an electrician would be able to cover both. If the issue existed and it was only the shower I think Sleeper would be getting a shout :-)

Xwebstar2 I am open to all idea what might be causing the issue? as I said nobody was having a shower in the middle of the night and when I woke it was gone again. Plus it is tripping but the switch doesn't go down. So when you look at the board everything looks normal. Now even that alone suggest to me something is not right with the switch but I am no expert and woudl be grateful for any explanation......

Thanks everyone for the help.....

It’s time to get a competent rec in and do some proper testing. Ask for the test results and a certificate
    I’d expect it to be a faulty rcbo as I’d agree with sleeper12 and I’ve replaced many over time.
    Let us know how you get on.

It’s time to get a competent rec in and do some proper testing. Ask for the test results and a certificate
    I’d expect it to be a faulty rcbo as I’d agree with sleeper12 and I’ve replaced many over time.
    Let us know how you get on.

Will do, my usual electrician in Aus so that’s why I used the other plonker, looking out to get a good one now

Well working on 1000 plus shower every year for 30 years I would expect to see faulty RCBS much more often then you do. The beauty with the RCBO is that isnt designed to be over sensitive rather than under sensitive

Dispute all you want. Fact is shower breaks people call a shower repair company. How do you suppose we make a living doing nothing else but electric & power showers? How do we work on 1000 shower pr year & you get a handfull of shower calls?

You understand this is my specialty right? I work at this & only this all day everyday?

I'll leave you with whatever beliefs you want. I'm not going to keep replying to what is really tunnel vision.

Best advice for OP is to get a good REC in to investigate. I assume OP has learned a lesson with the sparks he called & wont be using him again. Fingers crossed OP will report back with the answer to the mystery

Are you actually testing when issues arise?

Ramp tests

IR tests

Leakage current

Or as I suspect merely swopping out RCBOs when intermittent issues arise?

I've an electrician that earns more than the average industrial wage just from the RCBO & pull cord switch work I hand him each week alone.

Sleeper 12 uses a rec to do his electrical work for him .why would you suspect him to merely swap rcbo without testing them. If a rcbo is replaced then a Cert 2 needs to be issued along with test results.ive said in an earlier post that I’ve replaced numerous rcbo,do you suspect me from swapping without testing too?

Xwebstar2 wrote:
    Are you actually testing when issues arise?

Leave it. I can't talk reason to someone who believes that if they don't see something that it doesn't happen. Other posters have already stated that they come across plenty of faulty RCBOs yet because you don't come across them they don't exist. I'm not saying that you are wrong in your experience. It's just that your experience in shower repair is extremely limited compared to mine. I don't expect you to see large amounts of faulty RCBOs as you aren't working on large amounts of showers.

Time to move on. OP has gotten good advice from meercat about getting it all checked out by a good REC

meercat wrote:
    Sleeper 12 uses a rec to do his electrical work for him .

I have to. I'm a plumber by trade originally. I've never taken the cover of a fuse box in my life.

• Advertisement

What piece of equipment did he use to determine this?

Pay a good REC to replace the RCBO that is tripping. This should resolve the issue.

By the way I'm not disputing that Rcbos give trouble

My issue is with the blanket type of statement you're making above

Advertisement