Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nonsense about government formation, very simple solution

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Arghus wrote: »
    T - and then FFG can walk hand in hand into electoral suicide in the next GE.

Yeah but Mickey Martin he'll be all like

?s=fatherted&e=S02E09&i=S02E09-UcDz5SBZ&t1=I%27LL%20HAVE%20HAD%20MY%20TIME%20IN%20THE%20BIG%20JOB&t2=AND%20THAT%27S%20ALL%20THAT%20MATTERS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Idbatterim wrote: »
    We have a right wing party ?

Well they are not as right wing as they used to be but FG and FF are slightly to the right and very similar in their outlooks. Its weird that they have been stepping in and out for the past 100 years. Which means we have never had a parliament that was roughly divided along the whole left/right spectrum which would be common in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Is this the same right wing party that supported abortion and same sex marriage referendums?

Seriously, you are better off not being in power these days, its the classic case of it being easier to destroy than to create, easier to criticize than to offer solutions and easier to blame other's than to question yourself.

I have never voted in Ireland and am unaffiliated with any leanings but I believe that the last decade has produced the least political corruption in the history of the state, which is reason enough to back the incumbent.

Imagine Ireland is Nigeria and the Nigerian's have in the recent past had little news in terms of major scandals, which were regular occurances under other recent regimes. They have an election between a party promising more money/housing for the poor and nationalistic endeavours such as annexing occupied land....... and the stable one in power. Who would you advise the Nigerians to vote for?

I would rather have a seemingly boring ineffective proven option than one who makes promises they cannot keep and has proven nothing through action simply because the latter is very likely to be corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I would rather have a seemingly boring ineffective proven option than one who makes promises they cannot keep and has proven nothing through action simply because the latter is very likely to be corrupt.

Successive “Boring and ineffective” governments are slowly destroying our country and those boring and ineffective governments also make promises they have no intention of keeping. Just look at every election promise FG has made over the last 10 years. Keeping them in power indefinitely because we’re too afraid to try the other options is no longer a viable alternative for many of us. People are voting SF not because they support them or their policies but out of sheer desperation and a desire to see a government in Ireland that actually works for the good of its citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

FF/FG are really stuck between a rock and a hard place here. On the one hand if they jump into bed together they will be ripe picking for Sinn Fein opposition. But on the other hand if they avoid a coalition they risk more jumping on the Sinn Fein bandwagon in a re-run of the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

SF are an unholy alliance of provo sympathisers, welfare heads from inner Dublin and now young millennials completely brainwashed by their propaganda machine into thinking they'd get a free gaf.

This post sums up boards perfectly,and it is why it's hilarious reading the hysteria and salty tears in thread after thread from supposedly grown adults!!

I wish this happened years ago because it really is fun to read!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This has me all sorts of confused. You opt for the the party that has been proven to be ineffective?

Talk about a tyranny of low standards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yurt! wrote: »
    This has me all sorts of confused. You opt for the the party that has been proven to be ineffective?

It is the safe option. Yes things could be better but they could also be ALOT worse. Love them or hate them FG leave the country in a much better place than when they took over. The glaring failure has been the health service and their own PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭prunudo

Not really the "change" we keep hearing so much about

What does that even mean though, a simple slogan from the book of Cummings or Trump. Drain the swap, take back control, get Brexit done etc. Simple one liners that could apply to any and everyone.
    Fact is, despite what social media and online comment pages would lead us to believe, SF are still toxic, 75% of those who voted, didn't vote SF and given the reactions of a number of their TD's to their victories, they won't win the doubters minds too easily either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Yurt! wrote: »

"Seemingly" (rather than "proven")being the key word, it remains to be proven that they have been ineffective. They have not solved some very difficult issues like housing and health which have been enduring issues since the celtic tiger era. Health is an issue in the UK,US,Canada etc, in every election in recent history, no one is going to satisfy everyone on health, it is already the major cost.

"the tyranny of low standards", well they are the most successfull government in the history of the state, seeing as they have not been majorily corrupt or started trade wars with the UK, been caught gun running or bankrupt the state. Literally the best government, they only had to break even. We are still a highly developed economy with average infrastructure and very cheap education and health costs. While homelessness is never acceptable, lets bear in mind that homelessness exists in the rest of the developed world and in the case of the US rampant homelessness in every city. The average standard of living in Ireland is good. Also consider that Ireland has nothing of much value to export beyond services and added value products in multinational companies and must import almost all of its energy and raw materials. I think it has not been managed terribly. The expectations are out of sync here.

Nevermind the legacy pensions issue, as the average life expectancy increases, ironically due to our increased access to healthcare. There's no way to win, apart from bulll****ting apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

didnt vote for them but i think SF have to be allowed a turn at the top table.

however i do understand why FFG wont go in with them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

well they are the most successfull government in the history of the state,

That's a jaw dropping comment to insert there. I fully recommend that FG run that as their election tagline.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Long_Wave wrote: »
    It's perfectly simple, FF+FG+ FF/FG genepool "independents" would have a stable majority 5 year government. Martin would be Taoiseach, Varadkar Tiste & minister for Finance, McGrath Public expenditure, Covney stays in foreign affairs, Murphy and Harris replaced by new FF ministers. If the people decide in spring 2025 to give SF and the left an overall majority, well that's democracy.

Mattie McGrath?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

Mattie McGrath?

For public expenditure? No, I mean Micheal the FF finance spokesperson.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

This post demonstrates like others have done, that no party should go into government. All they get in return is an almighty kick in the behind at the next election.

It must be the modern way. Back when Bertie was running the show, he got in three times in a row.
    Ah those were the days when we could make decent money. It's all accountability and " everyone pay their fair share" now

Advertisement