Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Repair

Options
  • 13-02-2020 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hiya. I just got a quote from a roofing firm in Tralee for nearly €7000 to fix a leak in my roof that is going into my bathroom. The area in question is only 4 feet by 9 feet. Is this excessive or have labour and materials gone up that much in the last four years? I got my entire roof on my bungalow done for €10,000 about four years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

seems a lot

what kind of roof
    whats the issue
    whats the solution
    whats acess like
    how high
    is scaffolding required
    any unusualy roofs meeting in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Issybelle

Hello Pen Turner. It is a flat roof, felt. Very small area as I said. 4 X 9 feet. It is part of an extension and water seems to be leaking into bathroom which is below it. Don't even really need a ladder to access it never mind scaffolding. This is what the quotation says: Fit new SBS felt to flat roof of first floor and to smaller ground floor roof. Mechanically fix timber deck to masonry wall and clad with Zinc standing seam. Cost: €6600. I am a pensioner and know nothing of these things so rely on the expertise of the builder. But, this still seems excessive to me. Or is it? I would welcome your opinion,

Is there 2 roofs being worked on. Sounds a lot but I don't know a lot about standing seam

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Best to Get two more quotes.

There is only one roof. I will get another quote as you say. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Issybelle wrote: »
    There is only one roof. I will get another quote as you say. Thanks.

it new SBS felt to flat roof of first floor and to smaller ground floor roof

There is only one roof — the ground floor. I don't know what the quote is referring to.

There is only one roof — the ground floor. I don't know what the quote is referring to.

Just the way its phrased sounds like 2 roofs

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

Hello Pen Turner. It is a flat roof, felt. Very small area as I said. 4 X 9 feet. It is part of an extension and water seems to be leaking into bathroom which is below it. Don't even really need a ladder to access it never mind scaffolding. This is what the quotation says: Fit new SBS felt to flat roof of first floor and to smaller ground floor roof. Mechanically fix timber deck to masonry wall and clad with Zinc standing seam. Cost: €6600. I am a pensioner and know nothing of these things so rely on the expertise of the builder. But, this still seems excessive to me. Or is it? I would welcome your opinion,

did you request a standing seam zinc roof? zinc would be one of the dearer ways to do a flat roof normally for asthetic reasons. There are less costly ways to do it ie. Fibreglass, torch-on felt. 6000 euros sounds a bit saucy for a roof 6 foot x 9 foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Sounds like they sent you the wrong quote.

• Advertisement

The quote mentions a zinc standing frame. I made it clear money could be an issue and that I was a pensioner so why choose the most expensive method? I even told him I wasn’t fussed at how it looked as it was the back of the house. Have materials and labour reached boom time costs again?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

The quote mentions a zinc standing frame. I made it clear money could be an issue and that I was a pensioner so why choose the most expensive method? I even told him I wasn’t fussed at how it looked as it was the back of the house. Have materials and labour reached boom time costs again?

There's less costly methods my advice would be get a few more quotes, If you ask a zinc contractor, all he'll want to do is zinc ask around for someone does fibreglass or torch on but make sure there good & reputable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jackwilliam21

Since that time, it has probably become even more expensive for those roofers to whom you have applied

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Toby22

Hi roofer in family who does not recommend fibreglass for Irish climate. In past month alone has been asked to price replacing fibreglass with other product on 3 roofs, oldest is 6 years old

Advertisement