Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit Card Use Abroad

• 13-02-2020 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Can I use my Visa Debit Card - issued by Permanent TSB - as normal while on holiday in the United States and would I need to notify the bank before travelling?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Yes and not necessarily have to notify PTSB before travelling but might save you hassle.

You would however be better getting a Revolut card for the states and just carry PTSB as a back up.

Travelwise is another good option. N26, Bunq Travel Card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,135 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cash withdrawals from ATM's in the US usually incur a charge of $3 or so per transaction regardless of your provider and generally you get a terrible rate plus charges for foreign transaction. If it was me I would bring cash for boozing and use something like Revolut for all other purchased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Cash withdrawals from ATM's in the US usually incur a charge of $3 or so per transaction regardless of your provider and generally you get a terrible rate plus charges for foreign transaction. If it was me I would bring cash for boozing and use something like Revolut for all other purchased.
    Would Revolut be widely accepted as a form of payment for hotel stays and car hire I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Cash withdrawals from ATM's in the US usually incur a charge of $3 or so per transaction regardless of your provider and generally you get a terrible rate plus charges for foreign transaction. If it was me I would bring cash for boozing and use something like Revolut for all other purchased.[/QUOTE 3$ per transaction. That could add up to a lot over the course of a two week trip. Do you happen to know if there is a daily limit on the amount you can withdraw over there? 700 euro per day here in Ireland, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

chicorytip wrote: »
    Would Revolut be widely accepted as a form of payment for hotel stays and car hire I wonder?

Yes for hotel stays, not really for car hire (you can pay for them with revolut if you prebook but they’ll need a debit/credit card for incidentals - Alamo didn’t charge a penny on our debit card in 2017 or 2018)

As for informing PTSB, you should. If you try and use it in the US, it might be flagged as suspicious and the transaction blocked. You can do it via their app or website (can’t exactly remember which!)

Revolut is definitely the way to go for daily spending though as there’s no currency exchange fees (unlike PTSB and most bank/credit cards). A two week holiday (for three) saw us spend less than 200 dollars in cash (nearly all tips) as the rest was on revolut

Card is accepted almost everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

if using it for Car Hire i would reccomend Bunq as it is prepaid but coded as a credit card rather than a debit card like revolut,

theres a thread on it here

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Curve would be an option too. You can directly link it to your credit or debit card so it eliminates the topping up you'd have to do with Revolut.

Advertisement