Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curious Case of Violet-Anne Wynne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Doherty and Mary Lou etc are great politicians, problem is they are the exception in Sinn Fein....

At the moment anyway they have 3-4 really good politicians more than any other party.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Francie has some competition in the race to be the most prolific defender of
    Sinn Fein without being a supporter.

This woman with her 50k income from benefits puts all other politicians in the shade when it comes to working the system.

50k?

Can you give us the break down there as that doesn't seem to add up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭zimmermania

limnam wrote: »
    The public coffers are going to pay her 90k+ to do a job.

She can do whatever she wishes with the money.

If she uses her own money that she's going to be working for to pay off that arrears. I'm ok with that.
    If not the party may send enforcers to visit her,they have plenty of experience.

If not the party may send enforcers to visit her,they have plenty of experience.

You ok hun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

You ok hun
    Shouldn't you be watching Winning Streak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

50k?

Further up the thread you can find 2x breakdowns from different posters that arrived at €50k, and nobody was quite able to price up the rent subsidy beyond that. Also the fact that based on the ages of her kids (which she gave out during the election campaign in a profile of her) she had at least 3 of the 5 kids after she and her partner stopped paying the €63 per week rent. Couldn’t afford rent, could afford 3 more kids. She’s a poster child for welfare spongers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    This woman has been living on benefits with 5 kids for how many years, and she gets elected on a platform of demanding change?

Presumably the 'change' required is for her to get an increase in the €50k of benefits she's currently gaming the system for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Good stuff

I wonder if we could manage to get TD's who swindles hundreds of thousands in expenses paid back.

That a scab you want to pick at with TD's? all of them including SF are on the take.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Times running with a story tomorrow about current minister Heather Humphrey's interfering prior to a court case and getting it scrapped for one of her constituents.

Slightly worse in the hierarchy of scandalous and lousy behaviour.

Especially from the party of law and order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Times running with a story tomorrow about current minister Heather Humphrey's interfering prior to a court case and getting it scrapped for one of her constituents.

I think they lost that party of law and order title a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It's time for another election, folks. Let's see if the good people of Clare are so fond of the Wynnes of change at the ballot box the next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

50k?

Done already with links and explanations.

Your post is a clear example of the disingenuous nonsense that Sinn Fein supporters repeatedly engage in, pretending not to have seen earlier posts and disputing facts. If you can’t refute my post below, apologise.
    blanch152 wrote: »
    Let us do a fact-check on this.

We know that she has a partner and five kids, we know that the partner suffers from epilepsy and can't work. This is all public information. From that we can calculate her likely income:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/6aec4d-current-rates-of-payment-for-social-welfare-payments-sw19/

Assume that she is actively seeking work (and looking for election must qualify as such), then she is on €203 per week.

Presumably her partner, because he can't work with his illness is on disability benefit of €203 per week.

For each of the kids (assume they are under 12) they would get €36, which adds up to €180. That gives a total of €586 per week.

She would qualify for the carer's allowance as he is on disability benefit, but only at the half-rate, meaning that she would get another €109.50. Adding it all up would give here a weekly package of €695.50 per week, which translates into €36,291.19.

What else does she get from the State?

€960 a month in child benefit, €686 a year in Fuel Allowance.

Given that he would be on the disability, they would qualify for the household benefits package which would be worth around €840 a year.

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/e87d27-household-benefits-package/

Adding that up so far gives us €49,337.19. Oh, we have forgotten something.

Yes, of course, rent allowance or HAP, depending on which she qualifies for.
    Then there is her free television licence and the medical card.

Wow, just wow.

Over 50k in benefits from the State plus medical card, plus other ancillaries. The poster you queried was actually correct. She might be worse off by becoming a TD.

Now, if you disagree with my calculations, let's see them.

Fann Linn wrote: »

Yay, more whataboutery.

Was reading something on the coronavirus to the extent that the Chinese are running out of staff to help.

Maybe Violet and Liadh and Gemma and the rest of the anti-vaxxers would like to go out there, after all their immune systems protect them from everything.

You ok hun

I was never better but i often heard that SF vigilantes visited lawbreakers in the past and dealt with them,so are they coming to see her?

The "lady" is a good SF td,she will pluck as much as she can from the system and continue to laugh at the mugs who elected her.
    CONGRATS CLARE you got what you voted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TallyF

A number of issues arise in this thread. There are hints of truth and some wild statements. Some clarity. Firstly I have not been asked to do this or dictated to by anyone else. Secondly, it seems that a cloak of secrecy always seem to cloud these issues and I felt that too some clarity was needed. This has become apparent over the past few days as some have said 'I voted for Sinn Féin, I knew nothing about the candidate, why did Noeleen Moran walk away (seemingly this is the narrative that is being pushed in some quarters. This is not true and very unfair)'.

I didn't think there was such a 'thing' as female misogyny until I saw what happened here. The pile on from both males and females............................

In 2016 SF decided to stand a candidate for GE in Clare. Noeleen Moran was the only one willing to go forward. She did remarkably well and indeed exceeded all expectations and was tipped to do even better next time. Unfortunately for her, others saw the potential and tried to engineer a situation whereby Noeleen would stand down and another take her place. Not everyone agreed and many indicated that they thought Noeleen was still by far the best candidate. This was not welcomed by some and a campaign was started to exclude her and many of those who supported her. As there were no grounds to deselect her it was decided to go with a 2 candidate strategy under the guise of widening the 'appeal' of the party. She ploughed on, representing the party and organised very successful events particularly in the north and west of the county. Some of these events featured prominently on the Clare Sinn Féin website with no credit given to Noeleen for their brilliant success. Indeed you would be hard pushed to find too much mention of Noeleen despite the fact she was one of the Clare candidates. She carried on regardless and indeed has a great profile in Clare being active on many fronts including her work on the Mid West Hospital Campaign and prior to that Friends of Ennis Hospital. She is well respected by many politicians both in and beyond Clare. One example of how Noeleen Moran has been treated - a leaflet was issued by Senator Paul Gavan advertising SF in Clare. Included are Shannon, Ennis, West Clare and East Clare with full contact details for representatives for each area. Not a mention of North Clare or Noeleen Moran. The leaflet is on both the Clare SF Facebook account and Shannon one. The Shannon one was posted on their Facebook account on 3 September 2019. ( I cannot post it as a new account). There is of course a lot more instances including the interference of a party organiser (Alex O'Connor) into a health campaign which Noeleen was involved in. This has been detailed on social media already by others from the Reinstate Shannondoc group where he attempted to exclude Noeleen from a meeting set up with the Sinn Féin health spokesperson (Louise O Reilly). This was corrected only when the group objected.

Noeleen was deselected as a candidate because the designated time elapsed in August, an internal party matter which was publicised by the ***self proclaimed Clare Sinn Féin Cathaoirleach Peter Flanagan who announced it on Clare FM on October 21. Peter used his airtime to promote Violet Anne running by stating that nobody else was interested. I wonder had it ever been discussed. as Clare Echo reports Noeleen was first made aware when she was contacted by a journalist?. Sinn Féin had 2 candidates selected for 2 years but no attempt was made to call a convention despite deselection taking place in August. It wasn't until the 2020 election was called that a convention took place with 3 weeks left in the campaign. Noeleen released a statement stating she didn't think it was an appropriate or fair way to treat someone who was willing to put their name forward for election and had been the candidate for 20 months.

This background I hope explains the lead up to the selection of Violet Anne Wynne.

Some issues were raised by people outside the party about the conduct of various members on social media, their comments and conduct in their communities which was felt to be detrimental to the party. This was raised and instead of being listened to and given a fair hearing it was deemed that those who raised it were the problem. On two occasions those chairing the meetings on behalf of the party were challenged on the contradictions in what they said from one meeting to another. I am not going expand any further but it comes as no surprise that Violet Anne's social media accounts are locked so are those of some of her 'supporters' Indeed the language and grammar on her current page bears no resemblance to that used by her in the past. Wonder will she still refer to Timmy Dooley as Dilly Dally Dooley or Pat Breen as Prat Breen going forward? For a potential candidate to use such language against her political opponents is unacceptable. Unfortunately for Sinn Féin it appears they have taken too little action far too late with national media quoting from her past remarks all week. Violet Anne may successfully brazen out the criticism but there is no doubt the party has let the electorate down and those responsible for the selection of Ms Wynne should be called into question for it.

All of the information here is publicly available, some with a little digging. It just needed bringing together.

***I use self proclaimed as there have been no meetings in Clare for the past two years (?) to elect anyone to any position. The 'rule book' has been quoted to shut down discussion and challenge in the past but strangely in the instance of the election of officers and other business it has been ignored..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Its quite clear the media have an agenda against Sinn Fein,

What about Dara Murphy claiming fraudulently for expenses he did not incur.
    What about Josepha Madigan encouraging Maria Bailey to go ahead with a false claim.
    What about Maria Bailey herself going with ahead with the false claim all the while we have the so called Taoiseach saying he wanted to do something about the compensation culture in this country and help the people who get up early in the morning to work.

All of these were widely discussed in the media and there was very little sympathy for the transgressors offered.

What about Maria Bailey indeed? Would you favour Ms Wynne being subjected to the same "consequencing" by her party that Ms Bailey had to endure from hers? I'd be all for it.

I was never better but i often heard that SF vigilantes visited lawbreakers in the past and dealt with them,so are they coming to see her?

You do realize about 60% of council tenants are in arrears ?

This crowd would be very busy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The "lady" is a good SF td,she will pluck as much as she can from the system and continue to laugh at the mugs who elected her.
    CONGRATS CLARE you got what you voted for.

Well she's not any worse than a FG minister working to get a convicted and known animal abuser off a case . But I suppose he's wealthy so doesn't fall into the scumbag category for FG.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/heather-humphreys-intervened-in-animal-cruelty-case-krzzm2gsp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

smurgen wrote: »
    Well she's not any worse than a FG minister working to get a convicted and known animal abuser off a case . But I suppose he's wealthy so doesn't fall into the scumbag category for FG.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/heather-humphreys-intervened-in-animal-cruelty-case-krzzm2gsp

And for anyone wondering this is the farmer she tried to help. Have a read if you think your stomach is up for it.

"Court hears of horror animal welfare scene at Border farm"

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/court-hears-of-horror-animal-welfare-scene-at-border-farm-35414671.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Was Daragh Murphy not fiddling expenses? The Healy Raes too? Saying they were in the Dail but were in fact at a funeral.

The money comes from me and you.

I hate that ****ing word. Entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Wow. Amazing to see these social media trolling attacks on a woman only a few days after poor Caroline Flack's death.

ReAlly bad taste from Blanch152 here.

Typical blue shirt I suppose . Hate filled and anti woman trolls.

Wow. Amazing to see these social media trolling attacks on a woman only a few days after poor Caroline Flack's death.

It's not anti women. It's anti scrounger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

We have no idea of her circumstances or why the payments stopped.

So I think at this point calling it shameful is a tad early.

If the monies are not paid or an arrangement made in the near future I'll agree with you. There's a problem.

What it's got to do with is one is shameful but not considered talking about as it's not SF.

I guess then as Maria Bailey didn't get any insurance compo that she shouldn't have gotten any criticism. No monies paid out and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Was Daragh Murphy not fiddling expenses? The Healy Raes too? Saying they were in the Dail but were in fact at a funeral.

The money comes from me and you.

I hate that ****ing word. Entitlement.

No they weren't fiddling, just exploiting some very loose and dubious Dail rules.

is_that_so wrote: »
    No they weren't fiddling, just exploiting some very loose and dubious Dail rules.

Oh. So like this woman they were entitled to it.

I guess then as Maria Bailey didn't get any insurance compo that she shouldn't have gotten any criticism. No monies paid out and all that.

If you want to compare a woman with 5 kids and a sick husband trying to survive to a TD swinging while drinking bubbles

sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

This thread has actually mostly been quite settled facts vs whatabout.

Court case involving her partner and drugs charges.

“What about...”

Rent arrears over 5.5 years.

“What about....”

Having multiple further kids whilst refusing/unable to pay rent, increasing significantly welfare payments.

“What about...”

Anti-vax comments.

“What about....”

To be clear, this woman is not being hounded over a pending and unproven court case in celebrity world. She is being challenged now on her words and deeds as they pertain directly to her work as a legislator. And Sinn Fein and co supporters were fine with the pile on when it was Maria Bailey, who ended up being deselected as a candidate and didn’t even get to face the electorate after her debacle. So she was punished as well as getting the scrutiny.

This thread has been highly focused on factual information as the basis to consider the suitability of this person to legislate for the issues of today in Ireland, including housing and welfare dependency.

• Advertisement

Nijmegen wrote: »

Court case involving her partner and drugs charges.

What has her partners drug use got to do with anything?

Sure aul Leo was mad for the drugs.

Advertisement