Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curious Case of Violet-Anne Wynne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Zulu wrote: »
    And if we demanded a higher standard of public representative, for example one with integrity, we'd be even better off again.

( Different in Sweden... )

We put back in a TD who stood over young women dieing of cervical cancer.

This is not a country that demands any standards at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

limnam wrote: »
    This doesn't delve into the circumstances etc

We get the charity didn't get all of their money.

But looks like she will put 12k to a charity.

As I said before if all TD's were happy to right any potential wrongs. We'd be in a much better place.

You mean she was told to pay the money when it was made public? The same way as Reada Cronin was told to delete her tweets and apologise?
    You don't disobey orders from the Council.

1641 wrote: »
    You mean she was told to pay the money when it was made public? The same way as Reada Cronin was told to delete her tweets and apologise?
    You don't disobey orders from the Council.

If she was told. At least she was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

Sure. Puppets on a string. Up the RA, right?

1641 wrote: »
    Sure. Puppets on a string. Up the RA, right?

Sound.

Good talk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Who did that?

There seems to be a massive misunderstanding over what happened in the cervical cancer scandal.

Most other countries don't even disclose the results of false positives/negatives to patients, for the reason we're seeing here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

lab man wrote: »
    its either of the two because where they were evicted from was tullycrine so the kids were at school there at the time

Tullycrine NS is clsoed and has been for 2-3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The hoops people will jump through to defend SF is amazing... sure aren't they great, they told her to pay back the money she essentially stole from a charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Which TD?

mloc123 wrote: »
    The hoops people will jump through to defend SF is amazing... sure aren't they great, they told her to pay back the money she essentially stole from a charity.

If TD's were happy to give back hundreds of thousands of falsely claimed expenses maybe FG wouldn't had to have pulled funding from the charity for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

Funny you should mention that. Are you aware that Ms Wynne has expressed anti-vaccination views, including the HPV vaccine.
    A newly elected Sinn Féin TD has expressed strong opposition to the HPV and other vaccinations.

In a series of social media comments, Clare TD Violet-Anne Wynne criticised the HSE for suggesting there was no scientific evidence that vaccines were unsafe.

On Facebook, Ms Wynne compared the dangers posed by the "ingredients" in vaccinations to changing where you buy coffee.
    The first-time TD also said the compulsory vaccination of children, which was introduced in Italy, was "medical tyranny".
    . " [Irish Independent]

The HPV vaccine has been credited with saving the lives of thousands of Irish women who could have developed cancer without been vaccinated.

In an about-face, she said "The points that I made previously in relation to vaccinations were not in line with party policy and predate my election as a TD by a number of years”. The number of years would be two when it was hard to miss the news about cervical cancer and not be affected by the heroic efforts of the late Laura Brennan to campaign for the HPV vaccine.

leck wrote: »
    Funny you should mention that. Are you aware that Ms Wynne has expressed anti-vaccination views, including the HPV vaccine.
    . " [Irish Independent]

The HPV vaccine has been credited with saving the lives of thousands of Irish women who could have developed cancer without been vaccinated.

In an about-face, she said "The points that I made previously in relation to vaccinations were not in line with party policy and predate my election as a TD by a number of years”.

Yeah we discussed last week

I believe other TD's including FG are on record about concerns for vaccines

She has came out to advise they're no longer her views or the ones of the party

HPV U-TURN Fine Gael vice-president defends raising concerns about HPV vaccine – but says there is no need for review group to look into side effects

John Paul Phelan is the second Junior Minister to backtrack on previous questions after Finian McGrath accepted the jab was a 'very important part' of Government policy

..We have learned that 13 other politicians raised issues with the drug including Fine Gael TDs Phelan, former Ceann Comhairle Sean Barrett and Tony McLoughlin.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/1488740/f...ffects-health/

ger664 wrote: »
    Tullycrine NS is closed and has been for 2-3 years
    Did the rural resettlement scheme play a part in keeping that school open for so long. I don't have a sub to the Irish Times so can't read this full article, but it begins "Rural resettlement body acts to save Clare school. Rural Resettlement Ireland (RRI) yesterday moved to secure the future of a ..."

After the Wynne family moved into Kilrush, maybe their children were taxied out to Tullycrine to keep the school numbers up?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

If she pays back the 12k it is a good thing. Whether she did it from a sense of responsibility or wheter she was told to. I wouldnt vote SF in next election if she didnt. Fine Gael should have demanded that Alan Farrell pay back the money he fraudulently took after lying in court. I might have then voted for them.

HPV U-TURN Fine Gael vice-president defends raising concerns about HPV vaccine – but says there is no need for review group to look into side effects

John Paul Phelan is the second Junior Minister to backtrack on previous questions after Finian McGrath accepted the jab was a 'very important part' of Government policy

..We have learned that 13 other politicians raised issues with the drug including Fine Gael TDs Phelan, former Ceann Comhairle Sean Barrett and Tony McLoughlin.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/1488740/f...ffects-health/
    First, it's not a drug, it's a vaccine. Do you know the difference?

Not going to follow your link to The Sun. But what you are saying if more whataboutery. If other's have expressed crackpot views, does that make this one OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Who did that?

There seems to be a massive misunderstanding over what happened in the cervical cancer scandal.

Most other countries don't even disclose the results of false positives/negatives to patients, for the reason we're seeing here in Ireland.

It's a common whataboutery each time someone in SF is criticised since the election. It can be like a kids playground devoid of adult sensibility.

Not going to follow your link to The Sun. But what you are saying if more whataboutery. If other's have expressed crackpot views, does that make this one OK?

I didn't call it a drug. I was quoting the post/article

She u-turned.

Like many other TD's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

TBF it's being pedaled as a SF issue. It loses cachet if it's taken on an individual basis and doesn't help it's use as a party wide springboard.
    Hurrache wrote: »
    It's a common whataboutery each time someone in SF is criticised since the election. It can be like a kids playground devoid of adult sensibility.

I'm cool with her getting the business and rightly so, but don't try act like there isn't rampant whataboutery from all quarters. I've had more conversations about the troubles while discussing housing and health in the Republic than I'd care to mention. And that's before SF put the wind up FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Boggles wrote:
    Surely you would send all the kids to one school.

the 2 schools are in the one parish 2 different townlands about 2 miles apart i dont know if tullycrine school has closed on not but they were there and the kids are passing the main national school in kilrush , alot of ppl that are resettled from dublin that cannot drive but are not in the school bus route have their kids brought by taxi i kid u not ! the parents even get brought from where i live to ennis or kilrush for groceries by taxi u know whos aying too mr. taxpayer

• Advertisement

ger664 wrote:
    Tullycrine NS is clsoed and has been for 2-3 years

wasnt sure if it was or not theyare in kilmurry mc mahon so

leck wrote:
    After the Wynne family moved into Kilrush, maybe their children were taxied out to Tullycrine to keep the school numbers up?

she said that the kids were being disrupted by having to go to kilrush school

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

It’s only one school. Full time school amalgamated with another and is now know as Kilmurry McMahon school.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

Not sure why they would be brought to Ennis to get grocery shopping when there is a Tesco, Aldi & Supervalu in Kilrush.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭Martin Lanigan

If TD's were happy to give back hundreds of thousands of falsely claimed expenses maybe FG wouldn't had to have pulled funding from the charity for example.

You mean the 50k worth of printer cartridges that Aengus Ó Snodaigh pilfered?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You mean the 50k worth of printer cartridges that Aengus Ó Snodaigh pilfered?

Wolfe Toner.

Several years later he printed over 20,000 leaflets for the 1916 anniversary for his constituents with, with his details all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Wolfe Toner.

Several years later he printed over 20,000 leaflets for the 1916 anniversary for his constituents with, with his details all over it.

Plenty of FG and FF at it too just so ya know lol.

https://extra.ie/2019/12/23/news/irish-news/printed-leaflets-binned-tds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ShylockWept

blanch152 wrote: »
    Our new TD from Clare has a strange history and stranger views it seems.

Firstly, it seems that she is a former anti-vaxxer.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/they-dont-reflect-my-current-view-or-sinn-fein-policy-td-retracts-controversial-hpv-comments-38954563.html

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/sinn-fein-td-made-attack-on-the-hpv-vaccine-38952559.html

"On Facebook, she compared the dangers posed by the "ingredients" in vaccinations to changing where you buy coffee.

The first-time TD also said the compulsory vaccination of children, which was introduced in Italy, was "medical tyranny""

Mad conspiracy theory stuff from her. She has now retracted it, but as in the case of the SF MEP who had similar mad views, will she refuse to confirm whether her own children have been vaccinated? This type of dangerous nonsense from any of our public representatives just shouldn't happen.

And then there is her history of paying (or rather not paying) rent.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5096652/sinn-fein-violet-anne-wynne-charity-rent-arrears/

When I saw the headline, I was thinking that maybe she was refusing on principle to pay €3,000 a month to some vulture fund. Not at all. She owes €12k to a charity, yes a charity that subsequently went bust due to lack of funding. €63 a week for four years is what she refused to pay!!

This isn't someone without an education surviving on the breadline - she has a degree in psychology. Am I the only one to think that the people of Clare were mad to elect her a TD?

There is a view out there that Sinn Fein are the party of the entitlement class who want everything for nothing and someone else to pay for it. It seems that at least one of their TDs is trying to show the way that can be done.

And what did Eoin O'Broin do this morning when he was asked about it? Attacked the journalist and the newspaper. Shooting the messenger and whataboutery seem to be the standard defence of "new politics".

I am sure that there will be more to come out about this woman but Sinn Fein have shown a strange inability to be out in front of these stories in the last few days.

Its all fake news

We should be discussing the pressing issues - house, health and homelessness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

If they don't see anything wrong with the murder of innocent citizens, they'll hardly be too worried about much else their fellow party members have done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Its all fake news

We should be discussing the pressing issues - house, health and homelessness

A member for literally a wet week telling posters what they should be discussing?

Back to Parnell Square with you.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Advertisement