Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curious Case of Violet-Anne Wynne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Clareman wrote: »
    I think that the people of Clare didn't vote for this lady, they voted for the party, there was absolutely no information available about her before the election because of the arogance of every other candidate, this lady got 385 votes in the local elections in 2019 (source), that's over 23 times LESS votes than she got in the General election.

In my opinion, this person should not have been elected but I did my bit by not voting for her, others voted her in as a protest vote and a vote for SF.

You haven't done yourself and favours in terms of attracting investment to the region. How is anyone supposed to take the Mid West credibly?

I had my boss over from the States and had wanted to introduce him to the minister for finance while he was here; we are planning 300 jobs (now put on ice); we had a good laugh amongst the management group about the election result; but privately I wasn't laughing.

As a Limerick man in Dublin, I try use whatever influence I have to direct investment to the mid West and to give people a fair shake there as I didn't have that opportunity when I was their age, but the political system doesn't help. I can't bring people to Shannon airport and I definitely can't bring them to meet Violet. It's embarrassing for this country and a shame for Clare.

And look, I'm no FG, FF, SF or any junket. I'm for competence, for decency, for stability, and for economic development for the people of this country no matter which of the fxckers are in office, but we are not going to get there by voting complete clowns like her in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

limnam wrote: »
    This is not a country that demands any standards at all.
    ...and sadly, it appears from your defense of her actions, that you are ok with that. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

They did vote for her.

They might not have bothered to do their research but they did tick her name on the ballot.

If we are being pedantic they didn't tick her name, they put a number next to her name, in a lot of cases the number 1.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

myshirt wrote: »
    You haven't done yourself and favours in terms of attracting investment to the region. How is anyone supposed to take the Mid West credibly?

I had my boss over from the States and had wanted to introduce him to the minister for finance while he was here; we are planning 300 jobs (now put on ice); we had a good laugh amongst the management group about the election result; but privately I wasn't laughing.

As a Limerick man in Dublin, I try use whatever influence I have to direct investment to the mid West and to give people a fair shake there as I didn't have that opportunity when I was their age, but the political system doesn't help. I can't bring people to Shannon airport and I definitely can't bring them to meet Violet. It's embarrassing for this country and a shame for Clare.

And look, I'm no FG, FF, SF or any junket. I'm for competence, for decency, for stability, and for economic development for the people of this country no matter which of the fxckers are in office, but we are not going to get there by voting complete clowns like her in.

Pat Breen was Minister of State across the Departments of Enterprise and Innovation, the Department of Employment and Social Protection, the Department of the Taoiseach, and the Department of Justice and Equality with special responsibility for Trade, Employment, Business, EU Digital Single Market and Data Protection for years and didn't do a whole lot for the region, if a first time TD is going to have an influence on whether a company is going to locate in a region or not then I would be extremely doubtful of the validity of that company.

You say you can't bring people to Shannon Airport, why not? There isn't a lot of European flights out of there but transatlantic has brilliant service and I would say that facilities in the airport are as good, if not better, than most other airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

I am the other side of the world friends cant believe that people vote so recklessly but when you see Kerry people voting in them 2 gombeens to name a few so Clare people are just latching on to a trend.
    And I remember in 08 listening to a drunk Taoiseach Brian Cowen talking on morning ireland just b4 the bailout slurring some words so our standards are low, anyway it the senior civil servants who run the country.
    I guess most people with any kop on get out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭Martin Lanigan

Zulu wrote: »
    ...and sadly, it appears from your defense of her actions, that you are ok with that. :(

Yes, forget personal responsibility, morals and ethics. The system allows me to scam it, so I scam it, not my fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If we are being pedantic they didn't tick her name, they put a number next to her name, in a lot of cases the number 1.

Is this what your argument is reduced to?

We don't have a list system in Ireland. Plenty of countries do. Under those systems a party declares an ordered slate of candidates and you vote for the party. So you don't vote for a candidate there.

The argument you are using is the type of revisionist excuses people try to make when it turns out that they made a stupid decision. People have a vote. If they want to give it to the person with the catchiest slogan or most colourful posters then that is their right. If they feel stupid afterwards for falling for it, then they have to just try to learn from it

(I know you said you did not vote for her)

Yes, forget personal responsibility, morals and ethics. The system allows me to scam it, so I scam it, not my fault.

At the end of the day, you only scam yourself. Sadly, without ever realising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Reads like nearly every TD's expense report.

Accept it's hundreds of thousands a year. Not 64e a week.

Not many TDs pilfer 50k of printer cartridges.

• Advertisement

Not many TDs pilfer 50k of printer cartridges.

Don't know about that. But many can be in two places at once and do 100k a year. While getting 100k in salary and whatever else they're up to.

But sure fck that. Some woman with 5 kids with an ill husband fell behind in her rent.

outrage!

FG sneakily add 25 BILLION in interest payments to our bill.

Not a jot.

Woman falls behind in rent.

OUTRAGE!

Cop on lads.

So a lady brazenly ripping off a charity, despite them pursuing her to the extent of their ability, including the court, is ok because some other people submitted their expenses for their work?

Okaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy......

In fairness, you'd want to be a right cunt to rip off a charity. 64 Euro a week is practically free anyway. Accommodation for 7 people. 2 adults and 5 kids. Remember that if you ever get a job and earn enough to be taxed.

Don't know about that. But many can be in two places at once and do 100k a year. While getting 100k in salary and whatever else they're up to.

But sure fck that. Some woman with 5 kids with an ill husband fell behind in her rent.

outrage!

Not a jot.

OUTRAGE!

Cop on lads.

She had extra kids while he was ‘ill’. But don’t let facts get in the way of your rant.

Remember that if you ever get a job and earn enough to be taxed.

All sorted thanks.

outrage!

Not a jot.

OUTRAGE!

Cop on lads.

A bit of education goes a long way dude. And we have free education in Ireland. So nobody has any excuses to be fair.

I still can't fathom how, in this day and age with so much access to information, people still believe rhetoric and slogans like yours.

A bit of education goes a long way dude. And we have free education in Ireland. So nobody has any excuses to be fair.

I still can't fathom how, in this day and age with so much access to information, people still believe rhetoric and slogans like yours.

She was educated in Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

outrage!

Not a jot.

OUTRAGE!

Cop on lads.

For somebody who has responded to posts about other SF politicians by pointing out that this is a thread about Violet-Anne Wynne, you sure do talk a lot about other parties and their politicians.

All this thread shows is that SF voters/supporters are just as capable of defending the ridiculous, and deflecting from it, as the voters/supporters from other parties. Absolutely no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

You can lead a horse to water but ..............

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

A very important thing happened last week.

Something that's never happened in my lifetime or yours.

Could end up to be something for the better. Or could be a right bloody balls up.

And clowns are sitting around getting outraged by a woman falling behind in her rent.

A guy in a pub

A guy in a fcking tri-color

and some woman who went on holidays.

I can't give you a straighter answer than that.

Nothing much happened last week.

We had an election where some deluded people thought they were voting for change when they voted for Sinn Fein. Since then we have had Mary-Lou running around throwing her hands in the air trying to form a government, while all around her, the truth is coming out about the idiots elected with her.

It won't be long before one of her voters is on Joe Duffy complaining he hasn't got his free house yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I think that the people of Clare didn't vote for this lady, they voted for the party, there was absolutely no information available about her before the election because of the arogance of every other candidate, this lady got 385 votes in the local elections in 2019 (source), that's over 23 times LESS votes than she got in the General election.

In my opinion, this person should not have been elected but I did my bit by not voting for her, others voted her in as a protest vote and a vote for SF.

It was a protest vote, they had no idea of the actual person they voted for they just seen Sinn Fein on paper and voted for them

It would be interesting to see what this "politician" has done in the area in the last 4 years? compared to other politicians. How has she helped the community?

I doubt she has done anything....apart from rob a charity.....if the election did happen again these "politicians" wouldn't get the same vote as they have been rumbled

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Nothing much happened last week.

We had an election where some deluded people thought they were voting for change when they voted for Sinn Fein. Since then we have had Mary-Lou running around throwing her hands in the air trying to form a government, while all around her, the truth is coming out about the idiots elected with her.

It won't be long before one of her voters is on Joe Duffy complaining he hasn't got his free house yet.

Deluded?

Desperate.

Thankfully most truth regarding FG/FF idiots is already out. But it didn't stop a lot of morons putting them back in or the average FG/FF voter puts as much research in and votes because it's what their father does.

The only party giving out free houses is FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It was a protest vote, they had no idea of the actual person they voted for they just seen Sinn Fein on paper and voted for them

Why would a large section of the electorate feel the need to protest?

She was educated in Trinity.

I wasn't referring to her.

But seeing as how you brought it up, I'd be curious as to how you feel about someone with a background privileged enough to have attended the most prestigious university in the country, turns around a year or two later to refusing to pay money owed to a charity?

Take the SF glasses off there for a minute and let us know what you'd think of an identical scenario except a FG candidate? Straight out of university as a 22/23 year old. (Articles state she is 32 and moved to Clare in 2011). Gets on some list somehow to take advantage of a charity and rip them off so she doesn't have to pay rent. Pops out a heap of kids to take advantage of the oul' child benefit.

She sure showed those entitled privileged shower up above in Dublin didn't she?

When you're ready to discuss without personal insults I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

But seeing as how you brought it up, I'd be curious as to how you feel about someone with a background privileged enough to have attended the most prestigious university in the country, turns around a year or two later to refusing to pay money owed to a charity?

Take the SF glasses off there for a minute and let us know what you'd think of an identical scenario except a FG candidate? Straight out of university as a 22/23 year old. (Articles state she is 32 and moved to Clare in 2011). Gets on some list somehow to take advantage of a charity and rip them off so she doesn't have to pay rent. Pops out a heap of kids to take advantage of the oul' child benefit.

She sure showed those entitled privileged shower up above in Dublin didn't she?

Limnam isn’t an SF supporter, he didn’t vote for SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 toaster55

Boggles wrote: »

as above poster said it was a protest vote, like peter casey for president but gone very wrong. i didnt vote for her myself. i am from the area, nobody had heard of her and she received very little vote in west clare, as mentioned previously she placed second last in local elections last year. she has done nothing for the area and is not prominent in any local events or seen at anything. her partner is a waster of the highest order. From what i heard it was mainly urban welfare areas, shannon and ennis that she got votes from. i have a feeling alot more will come out about her...

When you're ready to discuss without personal insults I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

So how do you feel about a person who was privileged enough to be able to take a place at the most prestigious university in the country, yet turns around and decides to rip off a charity that is presumably set up to help those people who don't have access to those same opportunities.............

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

toaster55 wrote: »
    as above poster said it was a protest vote, like peter casey for president but gone very wrong. i didnt vote for her myself. i am from the area, nobody had heard of her and she received very little vote in west clare, as mentioned previously she placed second last in local elections last year. she has done nothing for the area and is not prominent in any local events or seen at anything. her partner is a waster of the highest order. From what i heard it was mainly urban welfare areas, shannon and ennis that she got votes from. i have a feeling alot more will come out about her...

Thank God you registered on the site just to tell us that.

:pac:

Limnam isn’t an SF supporter, he didn’t vote for SF.

Let me put it like this.

If she told me it was always her intention to rip off a charity and did it deliberately. I'd not be happy.

There seems to be a bit more to it. The fact there was sporadic payments. That there was a "falling out" etc this makes think there's something a bit more to it.

The fact that's going to be paid back also. As I mentioned if more TD's were willing to do this.

Maybe I'm naive or don't understand but I don't think someone with trinity level education believes throwing out kids is a good business model for making money.

36e buys you very little when bringing up kids.
    SW payments while some deem high in an expensive country it's not always the lap of luxury people think it is.

There's no doubt the whole SW systems needs serious reform. But looks like no party is up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Boggles wrote: »

For once Ireland had no real opposition. FF would have been the opposition but they where seen as in partnership with FG so all the bad mistake FG made also brought down FF

Then Labour are still in bad books after been in government with FF during crash. The Green etc are all too small

Only option was SF.

At the start of the campaign SF reduced candidates because they didnt think they had a chance, they had 6% or something and then when it started they grew. Not because anything SF said, it was simple that people wanted to protest again FF/FG. Just look at the SF "manifesto". It was pulled to shreds and nobody cared.

As I asked about, this Violet-Anne Wynne person,what has she done in the Clare area to get this vote? has she been prominent in the community? doing lots of good work?

Or just lucky she had SF beside her name.....from the feedback I have seen she has done f**k all if anything in the area. Except rob a charity

Advertisement