Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curious Case of Violet-Anne Wynne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/mary-lou-mcdonald-seeks-meeting-with-jewish-group-over-alleged-anti-semitic-remarks-by-sinn-fein-td-38975089.html

It is almost like Sinn Fein leaked Reada's comments to take some of the pressure of poor Violet-Anne. They'll have hardly anyone left fit to be a Minister at this rate.

The "apology" is a joke. Reada said the comments were "off the cuff". But it wasn't a one off. There were several comments that we know of - a pattern. That is not "off the cuff". Had she taken responsibility for her anti-semitism and said she regrets that phase in her like and rejects it now, I think there would have been a lot ot respect for her. It would have been a great example for all racists (whoever the focus of their race hatred).

There was a report in the Journal today about Mary Lou's response. Some of the comments below it, apparently from SF supporters, were appaling - endorsing the original views and rejecting any need for apology. This on the day after the race hate mass murder in Germany. Many of these same types would be all over it if the comments had come from any other public figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There will always be folk who fall through the cracks. I dunno but I think we have a good support network for those in need, well there are more homeless charities around now than you could shake a stick at, but it is never enough. A total industry now and why do they not all merge?

Seems to me that the homeless charities would have a conniption if the situation was solved in the morning. I don't see their existence having solved anything much to date but I am sure they try, and am open to correction.

The organisations like Cluid and similar seem to be doing a lot around the place. I don't think they and similar are associated with any of the homeless whining charities. I have never seen an ad for donations to operations like Cluid has anyone?

EDIT I think the above post should have gone into another thread, but I'll leave it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Her British election stuff may be a little off the wall, or maybe not. But she was bang on about Israel. People trying to make it about the Jewish faith is old hack at this stage. They tried it on with Coveney too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Haven’t been back to this thread in a while and it’s good to see Limnam is still here battling away :)

Them Shinners are fighters...

Bowie wrote: »
    Her British election stuff may be a little off the wall, or maybe not. But she was bang on about Israel. People trying to make it about the Jewish faith is old hack at this stage. They tried it on with Coveney too.

To be fair I reckon most people here and elsewhere have no problem with Israel or Palestine. That kind of activism is a luxury for those trying to find a house, apartment, buy, live etc. here.

Niche in the extreme these days, but activism is the raison d'etre of certain parties, that's nice.

Most people haven't got the time for that or indeed couldn't care less.

• Advertisement

People can criticise Israel all they like. That is different from anti-semitism:

That Hitler was funded by a Rothchild bank.
    That banks incited the European wars.
    That Israel had taken Nazism to a new level (how ignorant or insanely bigoted is this woman?)
    Describing Israeli embassy staff as monkeys.
    That mossad had interfered in the UK election to block Jeremy Corbyn.

Lets not get into her other stuff re paedophilia, flouride et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

AmberGold wrote: »
    Haven’t been back to this thread in a while and it’s good to see Limnam is still here battling away :)

Them Shinners are fighters...

Still making very little sense

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭Martin Lanigan

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Still making very little sense

Still not supporting or voting for SF either.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ger664 wrote: »

She was added very late to the ticket and only just made the quota by 3 votes on the last count so it wasnt a resounding sucess. Suspct she will be a one hit wonder.

Or put another way she got most first preference votes and got second overall.

2 candidates that got through didn't make the quota.

It was by any metric a resounding success.

To be fair I reckon most people here and elsewhere have no problem with Israel or Palestine. That kind of activism is a luxury for those trying to find a house, apartment, buy, live etc. here.

Niche in the extreme these days, but activism is the raison d'etre of certain parties, that's nice.

Most people haven't got the time for that or indeed couldn't care less.

I dont think most people are bothered with these SF stories TBH
    1641 wrote: »
    People can criticise Israel all they like. That is different from anti-semitism:

That Israel had taken Nazism to a new level (how ignorant or insanely bigoted is this woman?)

Off the wall but not anti-semetic, which was my point. I would equate the Israel regime to the Nazis myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

ger664 wrote: »
    The last SF Candidate Clare returned was Eamon Dev so we do have form on the quality of our SF TD's

Technically all 4 SF candidates in 1922 were unopposed and Dev was 1 of them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clare_(D%C3%A1il_constituency)#1922_general_election after that Dev was a member of the Republician party and if you want to count that as SF then Brian O'Higgins was the last member of that party returned, amazing transfers :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In my opinion she had 2 great things in her favour, 1 was the clear shift in the Irish public to SF and the other is the fact that she was the last name on the ticket, there was a post on FB that I spotted with people saying to get out to vote for SF that the SF candidate in Clare was the last on the form and just put a 1 there, might seem stupid but it might have been a factor.

She's 32, Trinity educated, married, has 5 kids, failed in a council election and topped the poll in a general election, fair play to her, even if I don't agree with her, that's some achievements at a relatively young age

Clareman wrote: »
    In my opinion she had 2 great things in her favour, 1 was the clear shift in the Irish public to SF and the other is the fact that she was the last name on the ticket, there was a post on FB that I spotted with people saying to get out to vote for SF that the SF candidate in Clare was the last on the form and just put a 1 there, might seem stupid but it might have been a factor.

She's 32, Trinity educated, married, has 5 kids, failed in a council election and topped the poll in a general election, fair play to her, even if I don't agree with her, that's some achievements at a relatively young age

You forgot to mention scrounger.

We also learned from "locals", that no one voted for her in West Clare and she sends her kids to 2 different schools via taxis, 1 of which closed down 3 years ago.

:)

You forgot to mention scrounger.

I was focusing on the positives.

Boggles wrote: »
    We also learned from "locals", that no one voted for her in West Clare and she sends her kids to 2 different schools via taxis, 1 of which closed down 3 years ago.

Rita McInerney ran a strong campaign in West Clare, I wonder how she would have gotten on without the SF swing

Off the wall but not anti-semetic, which was my point. I would equate the Israel regime to the Nazis myself.

So it seems SF also has the racist vote. So much for Mary Lou and Doherty's attempts to try to pull the curtains.

Whatever their private views (which I don't know) they will be embarrassed by open expression by the followers. Maybe time for a stronger party line.

Time to dust down the Magennis's Bar manual again and get rid of all the evidence.

Rita McInerney ran a strong campaign in West Clare, I wonder how she would have gotten on without the SF swing

FF ran a good campaign overall in Clare.

The problem was they thought Timmy was a shoe in so told him not to campaign.

I suppose you have no issue with her refusal to pay rent to a charity that provided her with a home under the Rural Resettlement Scheme. OK so.

Disgusting behaviour given SF are all talk about the homeless and the housing situation.

Honestly what morals do some people have. This one didn't have any. Free gaff and for as long as she could get away with it.

The individual voters were unaware of any swing. She got more votes for the same reasons others got less.
    So it seems SF also has the racist vote. So much for Mary Lou and Doherty's attempts to try to pull the curtains.

Whatever their private views (which I don't know) they will be embarrassed by open expression by the followers. Maybe time for a stronger party line.

Time to dust down the Magennis's Bar manual again and get rid of all the evidence.

The Israeli government isn't a race.

• Advertisement

The Israeli government isn't a race.

Don't be so obtuse. She didn't criticise the actions of the Israeli government. She said Israel had taken nazism to a whole new level. WTF? Gas chambers? Systematic genocide? They can be criticised for lots but this is beyond normal criticism. Its funny (but not in a funny way) that this type of allegation is always thrown ay Israel but not at other states and actors who have behaved far worse. Nazism is thrown at Israel, for obvious reasons, in a deliberately anti-semitic way.
    But I'm not going to rehearse the conflicts in the Middle East or anywhere else. The thing is this wasn't a once off - she used a series of anti-semitic slurs and tropes, which shows her basic anti-semitism. And you obviosly have no difficulty with them either.

Any idea why Mary Lou and Doherty are embarressed?

I suppose you have no issue with her refusal to pay rent to a charity that provided her with a home under the Rural Resettlement Scheme. OK so.

Disgusting behaviour given SF are all talk about the homeless and the housing situation.

Honestly what morals do some people have. This one didn't have any. Free gaff and for as long as she could get away with it.

Oooooh I've loads of issues with what in my opinion she's doing wrong but this is my first time in this forum and I've noticed that things seem to be jumped on quickly so I'll stay out of a lot of it. I'll just say I didn't vote for her in my top 10, I can't remember where exactly she came in vote but I voted to 15 and I'm extremely confident that my vote didn't get anywhere near her.

FF ran a good campaign overall in Clare.

The problem was they thought Timmy was a shoe in so told him not to campaign.

I don't know if it was the fact that Timmy didn't campaign or the fact that Crowe just had a better campaign, FF increased their overall vote this time around and had 3 strong candidates, last time around they had only 1 strong candidate in my opinion.

Actually looking at the 2020 and 2016 elections, Harty got 15.1% of the vote in 2016 and in 2020 VAW got 15.1% I guess she got a lot of that vote, looking back at the campaign no-one really went on a strong platform like Harty, yes McNamara is an Independent but he's independent Labour really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

They have to be educated how to abuse the system! Ffs monkey sees monkey do!

Oooooh I've loads of issues with what in my opinion she's doing wrong but this is my first time in this forum and I've noticed that things seem to be jumped on quickly so I'll stay out of a lot of it. I'll just say I didn't vote for her in my top 10, I can't remember where exactly she came in vote but I voted to 15 and I'm extremely confident that my vote didn't get anywhere near her.

Knowing about her scrounger past, would you still give her a vote?

I didn't give her a vote, I tend to value my vote and research who I'll be voting for, sometimes if someone is running for a party/platform I'm against I won't bother even looking them up and rank them down the bottom.

Rita got well shafted by her own party , she’s not in the county council and can’t run for the Seanad over Timmy ! They gave her no support until dieing days !
    They canvassed hard for Crowe even in west clare !
    Omg if we had rita instead of that yoke !

I didn't give her a vote, I tend to value my vote and research who I'll be voting for, sometimes if someone is running for a party/platform I'm against I won't bother even looking them up and rank them down the bottom.

Sorry, I thought you said you gave her a preference between 10 and 15.

• Advertisement

I’d say people might wake up for next vote , bring on election ASAP just to say bye bye to violet

Advertisement