Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curious Case of Violet-Anne Wynne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Balagan1 wrote: »
    Guess who wants people held to account?

Yep!

TDs Who Attended Golf Dinner Need To Held To Account As Dail Returns – Wynne
    http://www.clare.fm/news/tds-attended-golf-dinner-need-held-account-dail-returns-wynne/

from the responses it appears that there are people who actually took time out of their lives to listen to that interview!!! I won't be wasting my time like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

Has Violet managed to pay any of the money back she robbed from the charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭golfball37

blanch152 wrote: »
    Has she paid the money back yet?

She has apparently but that’s irrelevant to what she’s raising here, for once i agree with her. Should she not do her job because she acted like a maggot in the past?

golfball37 wrote: »
    She has apparently but that’s irrelevant to what she’s raising here, for once i agree with her. Should she not do her job because she acted like a maggot in the past?

So should Barry Cowen be Minister for Agriculture then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

So should Barry Cowen be Minister for Agriculture then?

This is bizarre.

Was she wrong to suggest they should be held to account because Barry Cowen lost his position due to drunk driving?

She did her bit on behalf of the people she represents.

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »
    This is bizarre.

Was she wrong to suggest they should be held to account because Barry Cowen lost his position due to drunk driving?

She did her bit on behalf of the people she represents.

Were people wrong to call her to account over her unpaid bills?

Were people wrong to call her to account over her unpaid bills?

Not at all.
    Are they connected in some way?
    They should be called out on the golf piss up. She's right.

She’s an elected td. I didn’t vote for her and I expect her to be held to account for her misdeeds. I also expect her to do her job and I consider this doing her job.
    Red herrings like Barry Cowan make no sense at all.

She’s an elected td. I didn’t vote for her and I expect her to be held to account for her misdeeds. I also expect her to do her job and I consider this doing her job.
    Red herrings like Barry Cowan make no sense at all.

Yeah, but if Violet gets a free pass for robbing a charity, why doesn’t Dara Calleary get one for eating a dinner or Barry Cowen for not having a driving licence.

There are double standards at play here.

Yeah, but if Violet gets a free pass for robbing a charity, why doesn’t Dara Calleary get one for eating a dinner or Barry Cowen for not having a driving licence.

Ah here I don’t think you get how things work at all.

All 3 are tds, the electorate will decide ultimately. Barry Cowan was fired by MM you should take it up with him. I don’t think she’s criticizing him so a complete red herring of of no relevance.

Calleary lost a ministry not his seat.
    Look I understand you don’t like her, while you are paying her wages you should be glad she’s working. If you don’t have a problem with the lads at the dinner breaking the rules they made come out and say it, stay off the fence. I don’t know anyone who is giving her a free pass and I certainly wouldn’t but she is right to highlight the disgrace of this dinner. When she runs again I and I trust many others won’t vote for her.
    What is sounds like is you think she should say nothing keep our money because of what she done or you don’t have a problem with the golfgate.

Both ridiculous positions frankly, in my opinion

• Advertisement

Michael Martin had no role in her keeping her position.
    It's quite simple, she said they should be called out on it and she's right.
    I do enjoy seeing her name pop up from time to time it shows the level of desperation. She's a nobody with an iffy past, but she's doing her job. If she'd said nothing she wouldn't be getting this negative attention, am I right or am I right?

The underplaying of what Calleary and Cowen did is humourous. Must bite having to defend FF.

Ah here I don’t think you get how things work at all.

All 3 are tds, the electorate will decide ultimately. Barry Cowan was fired by MM you should take it up with him. I don’t think she’s criticizing him so a complete red herring of of no relevance.

Calleary lost a ministry not his seat.
    Look I understand you don’t like her, while you are paying her wages you should be glad she’s working. If you don’t have a problem with the lads at the dinner breaking the rules they made come out and say it, stay off the fence. I don’t know anyone who is giving her a free pass and I certainly wouldn’t but she is right to highlight the disgrace of this dinner. When she runs again I and I trust many others won’t vote for her.
    What is sounds like is you think she should say nothing keep our money because of what she done or you don’t have a problem with the golfgate.

Both ridiculous positions frankly, in my opinion
    Michael Martin had no role in her keeping her position.
    It's quite simple, she said they should be called out on it and she's right.
    I do enjoy seeing her name pop up from time to time it shows the level of desperation. She's a nobody with an iffy past, but she's doing her job. If she'd said nothing she wouldn't be getting this negative attention, am I right or am I right?

The underplaying of what Calleary and Cowen did is humourous. Must bite having to defend FF.

Fair enough with the comparisons to Calleary and Cowen.

However, Veronica Murphy got thrown out of Fine Gael, six senators lost the whip in Fianna Fail and Fine Gael over Clifden, so a more pertinent question would be why Violet is still considered suitable to be a member of the Sinn Fein Parliamentary Party? It is well within the powers of the leaders of Sinn Fein to have the whip removed.

Absolutely true they removed Tobin and the lady from Offaly (Nolan?) for having a principled stand on abortion which is far less a whip removing offense imo.

I’m in Clare I won’t vote for her because of what she done.

However you resurrected this thread to criticize her for raising the issue of golfgate. I will defend her right to raise this and am happy she is doing so. All other stuff is just deflection and already well discussed in this thread. I wouldn’t have even known she existed until this thread was updated tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Usual flow. Someone tries to fling dirt and it ends up in people talking about multiple TD's putting other peoples lives at risk :pac:

Cracking job lads. Keep fighting the good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If we were to have another election in a few weeks would SF run her again or would they try and get somebody better?

Fair enough with the comparisons to Calleary and Cowen.

However, Veronica Murphy got thrown out of Fine Gael, six senators lost the whip in Fianna Fail and Fine Gael over Clifden, so a more pertinent question would be why Violet is still considered suitable to be a member of the Sinn Fein Parliamentary Party? It is well within the powers of the leaders of Sinn Fein to have the whip removed.

Was Verona suggesting we open up re-education camps for immigrants?
    Was she at the Clifden piss up? Did all in attendance lose their party whip? If not why, be double standards too surely? Is what FF/FG do considered the bar? That would be very depressing IMO.
    It is, their call obviously.
    All this fuss because she had the cheek to suggest the Clifden mob be called out....She was right. So anytime she does her job she can expect this? Seems a little like double standards. I suppose unlike FF/FG TD's she doesn't keep bringing out fresh clangers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

no it makes her a complete hypocrite and its why many are sick to the back teeth of her ilk

Niallof9 wrote: »
    no it makes her a complete hypocrite and its why many are sick to the back teeth of her ilk

They were wrong to flout regulations during Covid but she can't say that because she owed money to a charity? Okey doke.
    If we played 'he who is without sin' the Dail would be very quiet.

Was Verona suggesting we open up re-education camps for immigrants?
    Was she at the Clifden piss up? Did all in attendance lose their party whip? If not why, be double standards too surely? Is what FF/FG do considered the bar? That would be very depressing IMO.
    It is, their call obviously.
    All this fuss because she had the cheek to suggest the Clifden mob be called out....She was right. So anytime she does her job she can expect this? Seems a little like double standards. I suppose unlike FF/FG TD's she doesn't keep bringing out fresh clangers.

Essentially yes to the piece in bold.

She robbed a charity, there is no evidence that she paid it back. That means she has a complete lack of credibility when speaking on any issue of public interest.

If I was a supporter of Sinn Fein, I would be appalled at the woman remaining a member of the party. The fact that neither Sinn Fein nor its supporters, members, acolytes or defenders have a problem with it are part of the explanation why I have no time for the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...so after all the usual kicking up of dirt and whataboutry, she still hasn't repaid the stolen money.
    Amiright?

• Advertisement

She paid it back in May. Doesn’t make it right but it is paid back so less of she still hasn’t. Ye can make your points without resorting to what aboutery

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Zulu wrote: »
    ...so after all the usual kicking up of dirt and whataboutry, she still hasn't repaid the stolen money.
    Amiright?

Giving out about her doing her job, yep usual kicking up of dirt.

Ended up in their face as usual.

Essentially yes to the piece in bold.

She robbed a charity, there is no evidence that she paid it back. That means she has a complete lack of credibility when speaking on any issue of public interest.

If I was a supporter of Sinn Fein, I would be appalled at the woman remaining a member of the party. The fact that neither Sinn Fein nor its supporters, members, acolytes or defenders have a problem with it are part of the explanation why I have no time for the party.

Fair enough.
    How can you support or defend any party with that outlook?
    I weigh up the policies and if they are likely to try implement them. I've voted FG, Lab, SF etc on that basis. I cant support any party they've all got flaws.
    Violet was right in what she said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Balagan1 wrote: »
    Guess who wants people held to account?

Yep!

TDs Who Attended Golf Dinner Need To Held To Account As Dail Returns – Wynne
    http://www.clare.fm/news/tds-attended-golf-dinner-need-held-account-dail-returns-wynne/

But it was ok for her not accountable to pay for a house she lived in !
    until the pressure came on slab to cough it up !

She paid it back in May. Doesn’t make it right but it is paid back so less of she still hasn’t. Ye can make your points without resorting to what aboutery

Who did she pay the money to?

I’m not gonna accuse her of double standards. She was elected to work on behalf of her constituents and I hope she has done more than secure a home for someone in Clare (not her job as a Td) and make a sound bite about golffate (over a week after most of the country made their own sound bites).

If there was an election this week, would she have done enough to restore the earlier damage to her reputation?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Did she though?

And does that forgive her her sin??

Zulu wrote: »
    Did she though?

And does that forgive her her sin??

I've just checked

https://www.clareecho.ie/clare-td-wynne-pays-rent-arrears-to-rri/

And it seems that the money has been paid back. However, it is too late for the charity. Her actions contributed to the charity going back.

However, there are a few little details in the story that have me curious.

(1) Where did the €12,000 come from? She hasn't been a TD long enough to save that amount of money, so either she had it already (which begs the question why she didn't pay it sooner to save the charity) or someone else paid it.

(2) The language in the article is very interesting. "Wynne confirmed to The Clare Echo that the payment has been made". Interesting use of tenses, she didn't confirm that she had paid the money, she confirmed that the payment has been made. Secondly, there was this: "Newcastle West based solicitor, John Lynch has transferred a payment for the rent arrears of €12,116 to Rural Resettlement Ireland (RRI) solicitor Michael Lynch". Curious and curiouser.

(3) If Violet didn't have the money, then who paid it? Will it be declared in the political donations register? If not, was it Sinn Fein party money?

There are as many questions as answers in that article.

She would have no problem getting a bank loan.

I’m glad she paid it to RRI’s solicitor. I know the company has been wound up but they still could have creditors that are owed money. Giving it to a charity of her choice as she first mentioned wasn’t the way to clear her debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

But it was ok for her not accountable to pay for a house she lived in !
    until the pressure came on slab to cough it up !

Or for Mary Lou to head to Belfast for an outlandish funeral blatantly outside guidelines.
    Where's the demand for accountability there? Or is that ok in her mind?
    She can't have it both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Call me Al wrote: »
    Or for Mary Lou to head to Belfast for an outlandish funeral blatantly outside guidelines.
    Where's the demand for accountability there? Or is that ok in her mind?
    She can't have it both ways.

SF are not a normal party and operate to different standards than the rest. You just have to accept this.

Advertisement