Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highly visible.

Options
  • 14-02-2020 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭

Dirty words indeed around these parts. -But last night I saw a jogger, and I bloody well SAW him alright cos he was wearing what looked like a cycling/running rain jacket but not high viz yellow - it glowed white. An amazing luminescence off it - reminiscent of my old nightclub days with me Daz whites under a UV lamp.

Far be it from me to be the promoter of such things and kindly judge me not for asking but I was very impressed by the visual effect and I'd fancy one for myself maybe. Anyone know what they're called or who makes em?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Proviz is another brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yeah, that's the kind of thing alright.

I wonder are they best in darkness or how do they do in dawn/dusk low light. Our Saturday spins are early morning and can be dark enough setting out. Something like that might be handy for the darker mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

fat bloke wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the kind of thing alright.

I wonder are they best in darkness or how do they do in dawn/dusk low light. Our Saturday spins are early morning and can be dark enough setting out. Something like that might be handy for the darker mornings.

I think theyre best for high darkness, when car lights hit them, creating the big bright effect, but this wont be much help on overcast days where the sky is cloudy and grey but not enough that folk have lights one. some of the designs seem to have a 50/50 split with the traditional green type, so that might be a good compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

They are grey in daylight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I pass someone with one occasionally and they only seem to light up properly when full beams land on them. They're quite grey looking otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not really dirty words, just in the context of compulsion or victim blaming.

Retro reflective need the lights of vehicles to be effective. This definitely isn't a given, in my experience, even in the dark...

I've a proviz 360 I use for commuting, but would be a bit hot for a spin to be honest. I have this half and half gillet I got for Aliexpress . Not sure what the delivery times are like at the moment though given covid 19!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

I see a lad every now an again on the commute and he has what otherwise looks like a flouro yellow jacket but with that style of reflective material in stripes across the back. Also seemed to have a light in the middle of his back (also on helmet, wrist and each pannier - in fact I think the only place he didn't have a rear light was where the law says he's supposed to - but there was no missing him!). No idea of the make though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Picked up one in my lbs recently - from a Czech company called FORCE. Very strong reflective material, grey when not under lights, and very comfy. I use it everywhere now, waterproof too (insofar as any jacket can be 'waterproof').

€55.

Advertisement