Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,444 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Surely the reason,theres no/low icu deaths is that they dont put elderly (those most likely to die) into icu....our median icu age in this crisis maxed out at 63

I know of 2 people from kk,who were icu in dublin with the virus (thankfully,both survived,a walk in the park,this virus is not)

i suspect the people who died in the regional retirement homes, werent all that young either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

19-11-2020.jpg

Latest LEA
    20-10-to-02-11-p1.jpg
    20-10-to-02-11-p2.jpg
    27-10-to-09-11.jpg
    03-11-to16-11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Surely the reason,theres no/low icu deaths is that they dont put elderly (those most likely to die) into icu....our median icu age in this crisis maxed out at 63

I know of 2 people from kk,who were icu in dublin with the virus (thankfully,both survived,a walk in the park,this virus is not)

Certainly more plausible than it being due to lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

I'm totally sick of this thread, can you shut it down please Mods??????
    Houlihan's lost the plot, wants to liquidate all the Mink now. His delusion of power is taking on Trumpian dimensions.
    End the lockdowns, end the nightly infection/death count, the 6 o'clock Boards Waterford 'how-did-we-do-versus-rest-of-country' posts. Stop counting positive test numbers as if they were sick people, resource the hospitals, nursing homes etc., spend money on rapid testing and contact tracing not PUP. The old and vulnerable need to isolate, let the rest get on with it until safe vaccines arrive. More and more doctors coming around to the Great Barrington Declaration way out of this; https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/doctors-letter-calls-for-new-strategy-to-co-exist-with-covid-19-1.4384968
    You don't have to be some anti-vax, yellow-vested, right-wing nut-job to think that NPHET's strategy is fcuked up. I'm sick of it. I'm sick of this thread. I won't be back here. Probably. Shut it down. Please.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

BBM77 wrote: »
    Put things in a bit of perspective lads. There has not been one death in Waterford from COVID-19.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/11/19/icu-upgrade-at-uhw/

You are going to drive yourselves mad obsessing over rates and mortality from COVID-19.

That says no deaths in ICU. I no of 1 person that died from covid in waterford, they had an underlying condition

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Houlihan's lost the plot, wants to liquidate all the Mink now. His delusion of power is taking on Trumpian dimensions.
    End the lockdowns, end the nightly infection/death count, the 6 o'clock Boards Waterford 'how-did-we-do-versus-rest-of-country' posts. Stop counting positive test numbers as if they were sick people, resource the hospitals, nursing homes etc., spend money on rapid testing and contact tracing not PUP. The old and vulnerable need to isolate, let the rest get on with it until safe vaccines arrive. More and more doctors coming around to the Great Barrington Declaration way out of this; https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/doctors-letter-calls-for-new-strategy-to-co-exist-with-covid-19-1.4384968
    You don't have to be some anti-vax, yellow-vested, right-wing nut-job to think that NPHET's strategy is fcuked up. I'm sick of it. I'm sick of this thread. I won't be back here. Probably. Shut it down. Please.:mad:

No one is forcing you to read or contribute to the thread, just because you don’t agree with what’s been posted you want it shut down. Oh and if there’s something you aren’t particularly happy with them use the report button.

er1983 wrote: »
    That says no deaths in ICU. I no of 1 person that died from covid in waterford, they had an underlying condition

I haven’t read back on this thread over the last week or so and I’ve no desire to either, but there was a COVID related death in a nursing home in Ferrybank.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

Hijpo wrote: »
    Are you going to try and convince us that social distancing, wearing masks, washing hands and avoiding social events actually doesn't work and that the biggest risk of catching covid is solely down to the fact I don't stay within 5k of my house? Because that's what it boils down to if your going to go down that road.

What question are you answering here? Because, I don't understand how you think this answers the question I asked.

I have a really crazy suggestion... you could just stop reading the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I haven’t read back on this thread over the last week or so and I’ve no desire to either, but there was a COVID related death in a nursing home in Ferrybank.

Given the vagaries of geography in Ferrybank, I believe the misfortunate who dies was in a nursing home in Co Kilkenny?

personally I think that while NPHET have important things to say, Dr Holohan and his committee, come across as a one trick pony...Lockdown, lockdown, lockdown! There has to be a more nuanced response than this. Their job is to advise not to make media forays. No wonder disagreement in high places over the NPHET media strategy is emerging. Large egos also emerging!

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Given the vagaries of geography in Ferrybank, I believe the misfortunate who dies was in a nursing home in Co Kilkenny?

personally I think that while NPHET have important things to say, Dr Holohan and his committee, come across as a one trick pony...Lockdown, lockdown, lockdown! There has to be a more nuanced response than this. Their job is to advise not to make media forays. No wonder disagreement in high places over the NPHET media strategy is emerging. Large egos also emerging!

Little sisters of the poor is actually a nursing home in Waterford to the best of my knowledge.

• Advertisement

Address is Ferrybank Waterford. Map puts its 1/2 and 1/2 waterford kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭azimuth17

spookwoman wrote: »
    Address is Ferrybank Waterford. Map puts its 1/2 and 1/2 waterford kilkenny

The address unfortunately does not describe the actual location vis a vis the city/county boundary. Its like the old Ardree Hotel where the bar was in Co Kilkenny, but the seats in the bar were in Waterford city.

Its the blackest of black humour to be discussing this in these terrible times. If you die in one half of the building you die in Co Kilkenny and in the other half you die in Waterford city. I imagine a line painted on the floor indicating the Waterford/Kilkenny border and nuns pushing beds hither and yon across that line to decide where one dies. Boundary extension anyone?

Please forgive the levity folks, but "Its mad Ted"!

azimuth17 wrote:

When you allow your health system become so vulnerable and exposed, and a virus such as this comes along, you default to the only thing you can do, lockdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Absolutely agree with this. For me NPHET has lost most of its creditability at this stage. Specially sense the blanket moving of the whole country to level three then five. For example, the reality is retail was accounting for little of the COVID cases, research showed this here and other countries. It is beyond selfish to recommend closing retails in light of this.

Absolutely agree with this. For me NPHET has lost most of its creditability at this stage. Specially sense the blanket moving of the whole country to level three then five. For example, the reality is retail was accounting for little of the COVID cases, research showed this here and other countries. It is beyond selfish to recommend closing retails in light of this.

i dont think so, it has reduced the movements of people

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i dont think so, it has reduced the movements of people

Sure this is the point. These movements are not causing the problem.

Sure this is the point. These movements are not causing the problem.

more freedom of movement, will more than likely mean more social interactions, which in turn will more than likely lead to rising numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

The final judgement on NPHET's approach & strategy will only become apparent when this pandemic has passed (and hopefully confined to history!). I have been pretty vocal with regards to my stance on the mistakes they have made but won't revisit them now. Suffice to say the vast majority of us are suffering fatigue from the avalanche of news and information since early March. I dislike the phrase "new normal" because there is absolutely nothing vaguely normal about what we are experiencing. Despite the much touted vaccine announcements these past few weeks it will be mid 2021 at the earliest before we can revisit all the things we loved doing pre Covid (providing the vaccine roll out goes without at hitch of course).
    Walking through the centre of town yesterday afternoon I was struck by the emptiness of the place at a time when we would all usually be gearing up for Christmas approaching. The festive season will be like nothing any of us has experienced before. No matter how meaningful the Government say it will be. Just over 2 weeks out from the proposed end of L/5 its hard to see a major lifting of restrictions come Dec 1st. Even with all the best will in the world a sizeable proportion of people may leave their guard down at some stage over the holidays with regards to the rules & regs. I am conscious we have not exited this Lockdown but who else thinks come mid to late January we will see another major spike leading to L#3 soon after? I am not trying to be all doom n gloom but a rose tinted Christmas will lead us down that route.
    As I write this I am listening to Claire Byrne on Radio 1. She was talking to a priest in Co Cavan who was cautioned by the Gardai this week for celebrating mass last weekend. Yes he broke the Covid Regs and indeed the law but its a story that you would have never expected to hear in Ireland. Just another example of the abnormal time we live in at present.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    more freedom of movement, will more than likely mean more social interactions, which in turn will more than likely lead to rising numbers

We have restricted movement and the numbers are rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

We have restricted movement and the numbers are rising.

So you are saying if we hadn't restricted movements that the numbers definitely wouldn't have been even higher?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Waterford City South currently has the eighth worst figures for local electoral areas in Ireland, with 66 cases in the last 14 days and an incidence rate of 294 per 100k people.

Tramore/Waterford City West had 38 cases and an incident rate of 169.9 per 100k, and Waterford City East had 25 cases and 108.8 per 100k.

Four of the 5 worst areas are in Donegal.

Will be redoubling my personal efforts over the next couple of weeks as the next few days appear to be crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

hardybuck wrote: »

Will be redoubling my personal efforts over the next couple of weeks as the next few days appear to be crucial.

You would want to watch yourself with that kind of statement or else NPHET will headhunt you for a communications position!
    Any number of days appear to be dramatically "crucial" in the Covidsphere. Wonder when they will put us on a stopwatch? "The next 2hrs 17mins are critical" says CMO "Come on people try and beat your personal best.!". Betcha can't wait for the meaningful Christmas in an unprecedented Winter like no other etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

You would want to watch yourself with that kind of statement or else NPHET will headhunt you for a communications position!
    Any number of days appear to be dramatically "crucial" in the Covidsphere. Wonder when they will put us on a stopwatch? "The next 2hrs 17mins are critical" says CMO "Come on people try and beat your personal best.!". Betcha can't wait for the meaningful Christmas in an unprecedented Winter like no other etc. etc.

Cocaine. It's a hell of a drug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

9 cases.

20-11-2020.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Working up near the test centre this morning and it’s the busiest I’ve seen it in a long time, couple of uk cars also,non-stop, hope it’s not the sign of a big spike in cases here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Why do people think these vaccines will work perfectly and allow life to go back to normal next year? There are many many hurdles before we get to that point. Most critically, the data hasnt even been independently and objectively reviewed yet. The results may only last for a few weeks on certain age groups. What about long term side effects? Allergic reactions? The regulatory approvals? Rolling out and transporting the vaccines at low temperatures?

We are far from out of the woods yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We're still thoroughly "meh" verging on "see me after class", look at all the <5 counties

EnXW3WmWEAgVMUE?format=jpg&name=small

21-11-2020.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Aquos76 wrote: »

Yeah the one I know of wasnt in ICU

Advertisement