Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

All very off topic. Menswear is over here ->

13 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

All very off topic. Menswear is over here ->

Is that arrow pointing towards cork?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

07-12-2020.jpg

6 cases, dunno what's happening in Kilkenny but they've jumped to the near top of the table.

Eou43uYXEAEpLju?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement

08-12-2020.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

6 cases, dunno what's happening in Kilkenny but they've jumped to the near top of the table.

Big amounts out of a few schools anyway - nearly 30 in one- and spread in the hospital. Dont know what else has gone on there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Big match Sunday ,can't help seeing it as a superspreader event all pubs and hotels booked out, can't see guidelines being followed especially if we win:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Big match Sunday ,can't help seeing it as a superspreader event all pubs and hotels booked out, can't see guidelines being followed especially if we win:)

Yeah, could be horrendous, the numbers in WRH in intensive care might reach two people.

09-12-2020.jpg

• Advertisement

BBM77 wrote: »
    Yeah, could be horrendous, the numbers in WRH in intensive care might reach two people.

Love you to go down and say that to the families of the 2 people in critical care with covid tonight.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid19-daily-operations-update-2000-09-december-2020.pdf

cc.jpg

spookwoman wrote: »
    Love you to go down and say that to the families of the 2 people in critical care with covid tonight.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid19-daily-operations-update-2000-09-december-2020.pdf

cc.jpg

What is this even supposed to mean? Because I am not in a blind panic about the pandemic I somehow don’t care. If it is it is a silly thing to say. I’d love you to tell the thousands of people around the country who have lost their job, suffering mental health problems and abuse why they have to go through all this when the hospitals are not even under pressure? Tell my why as a single person, who lives alone and working from home now since March, has to be so isolated. When the figures you post show only 2 or 3 in intensive care in WRH the whole time?

If you want to obsess about something that has only ever been at a level that the numbers in intensive care in the main hospital in the region have been in single figures that is your business, it’s your mental health after all.

The reality is that WRH has never been under any more pressure during the pandemic than it ever has been. The figures you post show this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

What is this even supposed to mean? Because I am not in a blind panic about the pandemic I somehow don’t care. If it is it is a silly thing to say. I’d love you to tell the thousands of people around the country who have lost their job, suffering mental health problems and abuse why they have to go through all this when the hospitals are not even under pressure? Tell my why as a single person, who lives alone and working from home now since March, has to be so isolated. When the figures you post show only 2 or 3 in intensive care in WRH the whole time?

If you want to obsess about something that has only ever been at a level that the numbers in intensive care in the main hospital in the region have been in single figures that is your business, it’s your mental health after all.

The reality is that WRH has never been under any more pressure during the pandemic than it ever has been. The figures you post show this.

so the pandemic figures show uhw hasnt been under pressure, please explain?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    so the pandemic figures show uhw hasnt been under pressure, please explain?

Don't twist my words. I said "The reality is that WRH has never been under any more pressure during the pandemic than it ever has been." This is true and the figures posted here show that.

Don't twist my words. I said "The reality is that WRH has never been under any more pressure during the pandemic than it ever has been." This is true and the figures posted here show that.

how do you know this?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    how do you know this?

If you have something to say say it.

If you have something to say say it.

i just did, how does the data show that uhw isnt under any extra pressure, do you talk to health care staff, because they ll tell you otherwise?

Not under pressure! Have you ever attended a+e during normal time, every had to need a operation? It was bad back then and now they are having to isolate everyone coming in till they get swabs results etc you don't need to be a brain surgeon to know they are under even more pressure.

November
    University Hospital Waterford deployed the measure on 208 days between September of last year and last September, according to Health Service Executive (HSE)figures obtained by the Irish Patients’ Association.
    We are the No 1 for using that protocol.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/hospitals-use-last-resort-measure-to-handle-overcrowding-1-900-times-in-a-year-1.4397532

From October
    a letter issued to all staff this morning, Ms Rothwell said that “in capacity terms we are above capacity on a consistent basis now for 2+ weeks”.

“This is a real concern, particularly given the impact in recent days on elective admissions,” Ms Rothwell said. “We will continue elective care for as long as it is safe to do so but in order to admit patients we require continued turnover of beds.”

As of 11am this morning (October 15) there were now six patients positive with Covid-19 and 53 patients on a covid pathway. In total there are currently 111 patients in isolation at University Hospital Waterford today.

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/10/15/uhw-over-capacity-as-covid-admissions-increase/

Update -

I went back to 15 Oct and 0 on trolleys as usual. 23 general beds available and 2 Critical care beds available. 6 listed in hospital and 1 in critical care for operations report. 1 suspected case.

Last night 9 general beds available, 2 Critical care beds. 8 listed in hospital and 2 in critical care. 2 suspected cases. 0 on trolleys this morning.

Not under pressure! Have you ever attended a+e during normal time, every had to need a operation? It was bad back then and now they are having to isolate everyone coming in till they get swabs results etc you don't need to be a brain surgeon to know they are under even more pressure.

November
    University Hospital Waterford deployed the measure on 208 days between September of last year and last September, according to Health Service Executive (HSE)figures obtained by the Irish Patients’ Association.
    We are the No 1 for using that protocol.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/hospitals-use-last-resort-measure-to-handle-overcrowding-1-900-times-in-a-year-1.4397532

From October
    a letter issued to all staff this morning, Ms Rothwell said that “in capacity terms we are above capacity on a consistent basis now for 2+ weeks”.

“This is a real concern, particularly given the impact in recent days on elective admissions,” Ms Rothwell said. “We will continue elective care for as long as it is safe to do so but in order to admit patients we require continued turnover of beds.”

As of 11am this morning (October 15) there were now six patients positive with Covid-19 and 53 patients on a covid pathway. In total there are currently 111 patients in isolation at University Hospital Waterford today.

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/10/15/uhw-over-capacity-as-covid-admissions-increase/

Update -

I went back to 15 Oct and 0 on trolleys as usual. 23 general beds available and 2 Critical care beds available. 6 listed in hospital and 1 in critical care for operations report. 1 suspected case.

Last night 9 general beds available, 2 Critical care beds. 8 listed in hospital and 2 in critical care. 2 suspected cases. 0 on trolleys this morning.

Again, I did say "The reality is that WRH has never been under any more pressure during the pandemic than it ever has been." WRH is always under pressure. It is nothing to do with COVID. As the protocol you mentioned points out.

However, does this not prove my point?

"Last night 9 general beds available, 2 Critical care beds. 8 listed in hospital and 2 in critical care. 2 suspected cases. 0 on trolleys this morning."

Again, I did say "The reality is that WRH has never been under any more pressure during the pandemic than it ever has been." WRH is always under pressure. It is nothing to do with COVID. As the protocol you mentioned points out.

"Last night 9 general beds available, 2 Critical care beds. 8 listed in hospital and 2 in critical care. 2 suspected cases. 0 on trolleys this morning."

so these statistics alone prove that the hospital isnt under any extra pressure, how?

• Advertisement

Did you even read what I posted and the waterford news article?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Those stats are not as straight forward as they seem, let me give you an example. My son was due to go in for a minor op this this morning, we were due to be there to check in at 7:30am, had all pre Covid checks completed on Monday and Tuesday of this week, I received a phone call at 17:30 yesterday evening to say that due to the hospital “being extremely busy and under severe pressure” my son’s procedure would not be able to take place. I did question this and I was just told that there was an issue with beds and theatre space.

Roll on to 7:30am this morning, I get a phone call asking if we can come out straight away as a few beds have become available. When we got out there there were three others that have same thing happen.

I’ve just left the hospital now and I can tell you after speaking to a number of staff members out there, they are extremely busy and are even more busier now that they normally would due to all the extra Covid related protocols according to themselves.

There is also a worry out there about the potential for things to get even worse after the hurling match on Sunday and if that brings about many additional cases.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Those stats are not as straight forward as they seem, let me give you an example. My son was due to go in for a minor op this this morning, we were due to be there to check in at 7:30am, had all pre Covid checks completed on Monday and Tuesday of this week, I received a phone call at 17:30 yesterday evening to say that due to the hospital “being extremely busy and under severe pressure” my son’s procedure would not be able to take place. I did question this and I was just told that there was an issue with beds and theatre space.

Roll on to 7:30am this morning, I get a phone call asking if we can come out straight away as a few beds have become available. When we got out there there were three others that have same thing happen.

I’ve just left the hospital now and I can tell you after speaking to a number of staff members out there, they are extremely busy and are even more busier now that they normally would due to all the extra Covid related protocols according to themselves.

There is also a worry out there about the potential for things to get even worse after the hurling match on Sunday and if that brings about many additional cases.

i wish yourself and your son the best, very stressful time for patients, their families and of course hospital staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

cc.jpg

Hopefully those two people will be ok and get out of hospital to spend Christmas with their families ,but its very condescending of you to try imply that BBM doesnt care when in reality Ardkeen and Waterford have been for want of a better word lucky when it comes to covid ,two people have died over the last nine months in Waterford because of covid i think is it?

Here's a stat that you might not know of because it doesn't get reported in the media,back at the start of November there was 8 suicide attempts over a 10 day period by people trying to enter the quay river, 8 people in 10 days!,where's the sympathy for these people wheres the sympathy for all the people at home now thinking of ending things because they lost their job and cant support their families this Christmas,there is none because covid is centre stage now and thats all that matters to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

Just popping in to say that the hospital is currently "at capacity", across the board. There is 12 covid positive inpatients and a considerable number awaiting results. Bear in mind that covid positive patients and patients awaiting results, have to be isolated, which takes up even more room and more staff than would ordinarily be required.

All outpatient clinics were cancelled from around mid March to the beginning of July. Some departments are still not having full outpatient clinics, 9 months later. It's going to be 1-2 years before all outpatient clinics are caught up and, that's if there isn't any other mass cancellations. That's before you even consider waiting lists and new patients. There is a huge backlog of new patients awaiting their first appointment and, then, on top of that, there's still many new referrals coming in every day. It's going to take years for UHW to get this back on track. None of these mass cancellations would ever have happened if not for this pandemic.

Here's a stat that you might not know of because it doesn't get reported in the media,back at the start of November there was 8 suicide attempts over a 10 day period by people trying to enter the quay river, 8 people in 10 days!,where's the sympathy for these people wheres the sympathy for all the people at home now thinking of ending things because they lost their job and cant support their families this Christmas,there is none because covid is centre stage now and thats all that matters to some people.

If these are matters so close to your heart, why not start a separate thread? Otherwise, it'll just get lost in this thread, which is about covid19.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Who keeps track of these figures, I’m curious to know is all, I’m certainly not doubting what your saying, I’m just wondering where these figures are recorded is all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I agree. When I hear people telling us to "spend local", all I can think is - where?!
    If these are matters so close to your heart, why not start a separate thread? Otherwise, it'll just get lost in this thread, which is about covid19.

You should follow your own advice so.

You should follow your own advice so.

I'll keep an eye out for your thread.

• Advertisement

Just a fact note on the Suir self harmers, there were 8 attempts, not 8 individuals.

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/12/10/hospital-covid-numbers-on-the-rise/
    THERE are currently 12 patients in University Hospital Waterford positive with Covid-19 – including 2 in a critical care unit. At present there are 17 patients at the hospital awaiting the results of testing and at present there are 122 patients who are currently in isolation at the hospital.

Advertisement