Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Those stats are not as straight forward as they seem, let me give you an example. My son was due to go in for a minor op this this morning, we were due to be there to check in at 7:30am, had all pre Covid checks completed on Monday and Tuesday of this week, I received a phone call at 17:30 yesterday evening to say that due to the hospital “being extremely busy and under severe pressure” my son’s procedure would not be able to take place. I did question this and I was just told that there was an issue with beds and theatre space.

Roll on to 7:30am this morning, I get a phone call asking if we can come out straight away as a few beds have become available. When we got out there there were three others that have same thing happen.

I’ve just left the hospital now and I can tell you after speaking to a number of staff members out there, they are extremely busy and are even more busier now that they normally would due to all the extra Covid related protocols according to themselves.

There is also a worry out there about the potential for things to get even worse after the hurling match on Sunday and if that brings about many additional cases.

Hope all goes well and he gets sorted.

I was listening to the radio this morning and when you hear the hospital ask people to stay at home for the match and only with those in your bubble you know they are worried. Lot more going on in the hospital than some people realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

spookwoman wrote: »
    Hope all goes well and he gets sorted.

I was listening to the radio this morning and when you hear the hospital ask people to stay at home for the match and only with those in your bubble you know they are worried. Lot more going on in the hospital than some people realise.

Isn't it sad that that is something that actually has to be highlighted?
    Just a fact note on the Suir self harmers, there were 8 attempts, not 8 individuals.

Where does that information come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

From a local journalist. I've forgotten which one, was on my tweeter feed.

Hopefully those two people will be ok and get out of hospital to spend Christmas with their families ,but its very condescending of you to try imply that BBM doesnt care when in reality Ardkeen and Waterford have been for want of a better word lucky when it comes to covid ,two people have died over the last nine months in Waterford because of covid i think is it?

Here's a stat that you might not know of because it doesn't get reported in the media,back at the start of November there was 8 suicide attempts over a 10 day period by people trying to enter the quay river, 8 people in 10 days!,where's the sympathy for these people wheres the sympathy for all the people at home now thinking of ending things because they lost their job and cant support their families this Christmas,there is none because covid is centre stage now and thats all that matters to some people.

BBM is oulde and big enough to speak for themselves.

Yes we have done better than other places at the start but we are fast catching up.
    Here is a stat for you, from Feb 28(the first reported case in Ireland ) to 29 August (6 Months/ 182 days) we had 189 cases. Which is f*cking great compared to most of the other counties.
    From 30 August to 09 November, (just over 2 months and 1 week/72 days) we now have an extra 902 cases. I don't know about you but that is not good and it has a knock on effect.

There is a bigger picture when it comes to Covid and health.
    More people getting infected, more people need hospital care. More Covid patients in hospital less beds for out patients clinics and operations operations. Less outpatient clinics less diagnoses. Less diagnoses more chance of serious life threatening/terminal illness cause serious harm or death. Then add more people being infected and in hospital more healthcare workers getting infected and more chance of outbreaks in hospitals which leads further restrictions in hospitals for outpatients. As someone else said waiting lists are just going to get longer and longer and they were long before covid.

Mental health problems in people have been going on since before covid but some people want to now use that as an excuse to deflect what they don't want to hear regarding restrictions etc. I looked back over the archives of marine rescue and they have had bad days in the past, one with 3 separate suicide attempts in 5 hours. Mental Health Services is Waterford and the hospital have been non existent before covid yet I see nothing about from 1 + years to date. Why is it only now you are only bringing it up.

Reality is we are in the middle of a pandemic, the world is very different to when the spanish flu was about and nations are trying to get some control over it. This is new to us all and unfortunately that means having to restrict out movements, not everywhere can open up etc. It's something we just have to learn to live with. We knew this was going to happen sooner or later, seen the movie, read the book , have the tee shirt yet people cannot or will not accept the reality.

What would be good is if the world changed how it ran, get away from the consumer economy but we have more chance of getting rid of this virus than that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hopefully those two people will be ok and get out of hospital to spend Christmas with their families ,but its very condescending of you to try imply that BBM doesnt care when in reality Ardkeen and Waterford have been for want of a better word lucky when it comes to covid ,two people have died over the last nine months in Waterford because of covid i think is it?

Here's a stat that you might not know of because it doesn't get reported in the media,back at the start of November there was 8 suicide attempts over a 10 day period by people trying to enter the quay river, 8 people in 10 days!,where's the sympathy for these people wheres the sympathy for all the people at home now thinking of ending things because they lost their job and cant support their families this Christmas,there is none because covid is centre stage now and thats all that matters to some people.

theres nothing new here, we ve never truly invested in mental health services, and i suspect we actually never will, i interact with the services, and theyve been stripped to pieces since the start of covid, and overwhelmed. theres actually nothing stopping the government from borrowing in order to support businesses and citizens, until covid passes, this would prevent many businesses from going bust, and people losing their jobs

• Advertisement

15 cases.

Eo5V99-XMAcLm1T?format=jpg&name=medium
    Eo5V-hcXEAUlUtK?format=jpg&name=medium

10-12-2020.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

spookwoman wrote: »
    Did you even read what I posted and the waterford news article?

Just scanned through them.

I am just going to change your sentence above.

Capacity problems in WRH have been going on since before covid but some people want to now use that as an excuse to deflect.

How can you criticize me for not seeing capacity problems in WRH then just brush off someone else’s valid points about mental health like that? Smacks of double standards.

You are questioning me about weather I read the post/articles! Are you going to reply to the points I made? And the real effects this lockdown strategy has had on me.

The fact is, weather you want to except them or not, is that the restrictions are doing greater damage than the pandemic.

You said it yourself above “There is a bigger picture when it comes to Covid and health.” Maybe you should think of the bigger picture and not be so blinded by numbers.

BBM77 wrote:
    The fact is, weather you want to except them or not, is that the restrictions are doing greater damage than the pandemic.

Restrictions are doing damage, particularly mentally, but that doesn't mean having less restrictions would reduce pressure on the health system, it would more than likely increase pressure, due to the obvious. Again, government has the ability to do a lot more for businesses and citizens, to reduce these psychological pressures, it just wont, the brewing student nurses situation is very telling, and disturbing at the same time!

BBM77 wrote: »
    Just scanned through them.

I am just going to change your sentence above.

Capacity problems in WRH have been going on since before covid but some people want to now use that as an excuse to deflect.

How I am using that to deflect, from the start of the pandemic capacity issues have been at the forefront. Highly infectious disease in a place where there are sick people and it's over crowded, yeah that's a good combination. Place where there are not enough staff and they get infected with a highly infectious disease, another great combination.
    How can you criticize me for not seeing capacity problems in WRH then just brush off someone else’s valid points about mental health like that? Smacks of double standards.
    Double standards, was the last time you protested outside the hospital over their lack of psychiatric services, protested and regularly highlighted the lack of services in the hospital, the over crowding etc before covid? How often have you gone out searching the shoreline for suicides? What have you done before covid to highlight the lack of metal health services.

Mental health is very personal and not something I take lightly.
    Try seeking help here in Waterford, it's not easy and and picking up the phone to the samaratins is not always an option. You end up calling doctors where you can't get appointments, you dare not go near the hospital because of the horror stories. You reach out to groups and that is not easy for most people. You start thinking whats the best way. When you have hit that point come back to me regarding mental health.
    You are questioning me about weather I read the post/articles! Are you going to reply to the points I made? And the real effects this lockdown strategy has had on me.

You said it yourself above “There is a bigger picture when it comes to Covid and health.” Maybe you should think of the bigger picture and not be so blinded by numbers.

Numbers give us an idea of what is happening out there. They are needed by government, hospital etc to allow them to plan and to deal with what is happening, that included implementing restrictions. The restriction are there because many humans are selfish ar*seholes and can't always behave themselves, that's the big picture. We saw what happens when the restrictions were loosened, we saw what happened at the start when all out patient clinics were shut down because of capacity issues. Previous years it normally flu that causes capacity issues but they didn't have to go through the same levels of isolation, wearing of PPE and swabbing. With corona they do and it adds extra pressure and more resources are needed.

I'm going nuts here not able to go out etc but I realise this is bigger than me. There are people like Aquos76 son who need medical treatment and if it means I have to dig in and not go out so be it.

No one wants to get sick, we know it's out there in the community and again if it means digging in to stop the spread, save lives and stop someone having permanent health problems so be it. We don't know how it is going to affect people when they get infected and it's not worth the risk hoping it's just a mild case. Also more people infected at the same time the more chance the vulnerable will get infected, I know I do not want to be responsible for someones death.

If it means having to call the police on an domestic violence incident near by so be it, the police have been great and responded very quickly when I have called them. Domestic violence was happening well before the pandemic and I was making called before it.
    I have a phone if I want to talk to someone, I just deal with as best I can.

I have my own health problems to deal with and do not want to set foot near that hospital at the moment. I still remember what I saw during the swine flu and my previous stays have been pretty bloody awful. So I tell myself it could be a hell of a lot worse. Just look at the images on CNN of the cars all waiting to get food because they don't do the dole over there, or not being able to leave your home from 8pm to 6am like in France last month.
    This is Ireland we have sh*t public health services and I don't see much getting done about it in the near future but for those that need it for non covid related issues then if staying home means more beds available and services available then its worth going nuts for.

It could be a hell of a lot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭azimuth17

All the national data referring to hospitals uses the name UHW. I can understand that some people have a hang up about that title given events surrounding its inception, but in truth the name WRH is long gone and its use merely serves to confuse those who are not familiar with the hospital.

A number of posters have brought up mental health in this thread. These posters have said how concerned they are about the mental health of the general public, the lack of mental health services in Waterford and how concerned they are about the long-term impact the pandemic and lock down will have on people's mental health. Interestingly, not one separate thread has been started in this forum to highlight this issue.

Not that interesting really.

Not that interesting really.

It is interesting as it shows just how concerned these posters actually are about the topic.

6 new cases.

11-12-2020.jpg

Latest Hub
    03-12-2020-p1.jpg
    03-12-2020-p2.jpg
    03-12-2020-p3.jpg
    03-12-2020-p4.jpg

It is interesting as it shows just how concerned these posters actually are about the topic.

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

A number of posters have brought up mental health in this thread. These posters have said how concerned they are about the mental health of the general public, the lack of mental health services in Waterford and how concerned they are about the long-term impact the pandemic and lock down will have on people's mental health. Interestingly, not one separate thread has been started in this forum to highlight this issue.

We have a final to be thinking of.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    We have a final to be thinking of.

Guess I should keep that Limerick flag inside then ;)

• Advertisement

12-12-2020.jpg

13-12-2020.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Pubs were still full

Numbers will rise none the less, we have to plan for it and not resort to negatively and finger pointing. It won't work and it never will

St Augustines now updated to 7 as of the 11th. Would make sence for the lea for that area going from <5 to 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Pubs were still full

Numbers will rise none the less, we have to plan for it and not resort to negatively and finger pointing. It won't work and it never will

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Pubs were still full

and the GaA clubs that had their 'members only' secret sessions for the match....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

EpN0aYyXIAAIP5X?format=png&name=small

14-12-2020.jpg

15-12-2020.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Another confirmed case in St Ursula's primary school today.

Advertisement