Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I cant see many pubs and restaurants and shops in Waterford actually closing down permanently as a result of the pandemic, what do you think? I know its been a year from hell and no establishment will be in the black, but most of the pubs in the city are very well established with an in-built client base. Take Geoffs, Kazbar, and the Gingerman pub. The same people go there for years, they are very popular and many of them are owned outright, with no outstanding rent or mortgages.
    Then you have restaurants, your man who owns Bodega I get the strong impression he will never close down, that although hes suffering losses like everyone else, closure is simply not going to happen. Now some of the other restaurants like the new one Pinks and maybe a few down O Connell Street or on the Quay, maybe they might be in trouble. As for wet pubs, the ones in Ballybricken again are very well frequented with loyal and reliable clients. Downses and Jordans- there decades by now. Some rural pubs may close but on the whole I cant see any pubs in the city actually closing down for good.
    Not to take away from how horrible this year has been for retail but taken in context and when you look back on it in a year or two, its a safe bet that practically all the pubs and restaurants will stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I cant see many pubs and restaurants and shops in Waterford actually closing down permanently as a result of the pandemic, what do you think? I know its been a year from hell and no establishment will be in the black, but most of the pubs in the city are very well established with an in-built client base. Take Geoffs, Kazbar, and the Gingerman pub. The same people go there for years, they are very popular and many of them are owned outright, with no outstanding rent or mortgages.
    Then you have restaurants, your man who owns Bodega I get the strong impression he will never close down, that although hes suffering losses like everyone else, closure is simply not going to happen. Now some of the other restaurants like the new one Pinks and maybe a few down O Connell Street or on the Quay, maybe they might be in trouble. As for wet pubs, the ones in Ballybricken again are very well frequented with loyal and reliable clients. Downses and Jordans- there decades by now. Some rural pubs may close but on the whole I cant see any pubs in the city actually closing down for good.
    Not to take away from how horrible this year has been for retail but taken in context and when you look back on it in a year or two, its a safe bet that practically all the pubs and restaurants will stay open.

So hard to call i heard some of the places on Barrack Street are gone sadly. Kitty Keirnins and Doyles (Formerly Alfie Hales)

Few places aren't opening up for takeaway that previously have (Burrza/Bodega, Espresso)

I'll be returning to the wet pubs/food pubs as soon as they open and many other people will too. Hopefully many will be trading at whatever point they open

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

PTH2009 wrote: »
    No they should of started the vaccinations ASAP giving more hope of opening up more sectors

The vaccine is being distributed on the basis of saving lives not saving the economy. Vaccinating some elderly nursing home residents a few days early wont make a difference to opening up any "sectors".

Also they will use available vaccines as they get them. 5 days a week or 7 days a week makes little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

We can barely staff the health service we have but people think we can find and fund staff to administer vaccinations 7 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

We can barely staff the health service we have but people think we can find and fund staff to administer vaccinations 7 days a week.

Not sure if you have to have a medical license to inject people but I would say they would have to have a doctor or someone with proper medical training there at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

spookwoman wrote: »
    Not sure if you have to have a medical license to inject people but I would say they would have to have a doctor or someone with proper medical training there at all times.

Fairly sure the nurse in a GP can administer vaccinations to kids.

Hijpo wrote: »
    Fairly sure the nurse in a GP can administer vaccinations to kids.

Sorry should have said medical training as in someone who is not a doc nurse etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pharmacists can administer the flu jab hard to see why this should be more difficult especially by when the ambient temperature vaccines arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,433 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Pharmacists can administer the flu jab hard to see why this should be more difficult especially by when the ambient temperature vaccines arrive.

It looks like some with known allergies may need to be in a hospital setting for it, according to guidance anyway, makes sense to, might be stricter on this one in general, but then again, we 're all under pressure with rollout.

Unfortunately I can see many businesses closing permanently in 21, and there's no need for it, government has the ability to prevent many closures, they just won't step in, unemployment figures won't be great for a while

<5 today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

spookwoman wrote: »
    <5 today

Surely just a lag in numbers coming out?

JPA wrote: »

I'd say so.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

JPA wrote: »

https://twitter.com/andrewflood/status/1343580796368674818

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

That's a worry, you can be sure there are quite a few of them that are tested as close contacts and are not staying in while they wait for results.

Hijpo wrote: »
    That's a worry, you can be sure there are quite a few of them that are tested as close contacts and are not staying in while they wait for results.

And probably quite a few had symptoms or close contacts but didn't go forward for testing cause it might ruin their christmas

Hse op report for tonight 16 in hospital
    3 in critical care

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

So today, the new vaccine is being rolled out in hospitals in Dublin, Limerick,Cork and Galway.

Did they just forget to send a few down to Waterford or is this just another example of this city being a complete blind spot to the powers that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

So today, the new vaccine is being rolled out in hospitals in Dublin, Limerick,Cork and Galway.

Did they just forget to send a few down to Waterford or is this just another example of this city being a complete blind spot to the powers that be?

From listening to a spokeswoman from Cork this morning, UHW falls under Corks distribution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Limerick, are you sure? Beaumont, James’, Cork and Galway is all I have seen?

16 in waterford today

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

https://cormaclucey.blogspot.com/2020/12/the-biggest-economic-political-and.html?m=1
    Stop going along with the NPET groupthink, this is costing the country billions, ruining businesses and ruining lives.

• Advertisement

https://cormaclucey.blogspot.com/2020/12/the-biggest-economic-political-and.html?m=1
    Stop going along with the NPET groupthink, this is costing the country billions, ruining businesses and ruining lives.

What's the "NPET groupthink"? What would be your alternative advice and what are you basing your advice on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford gets the vaccine on the 11th, hard to believe this won't be brought forward due to political pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Waterford gets the vaccine on the 11th, hard to believe this won't be brought forward due to political pressure.

And what political pressure is this? All but one of Waterford's TD's have rolled over to allow the dilution of WIT; so what makes you think they'll get out of bed to insist on geographical parity with regards to vaccine rollout?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

What's the "NPET groupthink"? What would be your alternative advice and what are you basing your advice on?

Read the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

jimbojazz wrote: »
    From listening to a spokeswoman from Cork this morning, UHW falls under Corks distribution

What a disaster. Guaranteed inverse relationship between vaccine distribution and the distance from Cork's Parish Pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    What a disaster. Guaranteed inverse relationship between vaccine distribution and the distance from Cork's Parish Pump.
    Vax wont have any effect till late spring and that will be minor mid 22 before we have the virus under control, too many deniers spreading misinformation and ignoring guidlines

15 in hospital and down to 2 in icu.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,433 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Lucey is a free market libertarian, he's hard wired to believe in it's ideology and beliefs, but it's always good to remember, it's an ideology of fantasy! There's nothing stopping government from protecting businesses and employees, borrowing is the key, but many in government are also strongly aligned to this ideology, so.......

Read the article.

As I said

Are you basing your advice to "stop going along with the NPET groupthink" on that one blog post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

My last post was deleted. Good to see we can't tell the public on a public forum the local business' that were blatantly disregarding the safety of their communities by letting groups gather as they did. Gardai won't be renewing a few licenses anyway when the time comes that is for sure.

Advertisement