Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

26 in waterford today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Good few cases in one of the disability services providers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Lockdown # 3 on the horizon it seems. And all for the "meaningful" Christmas eh? Nine months on from ground zero and in all likelihood another nine months before any semblance of normality returns. January is a downer of a month at the best of times but this will be a test. I'd take the zero Covid approach now TBH. L#3 looks like it will be more in sync with the first one except it will be played out in deepest Winter. Schools to close too apparently. The growth in numbers at every level is huge. Complacency is the root cause. Too many people disregarded the basics in December. To my eyes it seemed like a normal Christmas out and about. I kinda feared the worse when I saw what was occuring across the water in the UK the weekend before Xmas. Let's hope the hospital's and health system will cope over the next month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Its a mammoth task to get people back on board. Genuine fear was the root of mass compliance back in March. Over time, people (not all, but a lot) just stopped caring and started taking more risks- the risk of getting the virus was less than the benefits of socializing to these people, and I have noticed a lot of people disregarding the social distance thing in shops and pubs and hotels. Then you have so many lock ins and secret pubs and house parties etc. I know what the powers that be are saying is right, but its going to be quite difficult to get everyone back on board...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

gman2k wrote: »
    Good few cases in one of the disability services providers now.

Do you know which one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/12/30/crowd-dispersed-after-gardai-respond-to-city-gathering/

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 30, 2020

Gardaí in Waterford responded to a gathering of people and traffic congestion that occurred on Luke Wadding Street in Waterford city this afternoon.

This newspaper understands that a Requiem Mass took place in the area earlier today. A spokesperson for the Gardaí told the Waterford News & Star that, “Gardaí engaged with persons present and reminded each of the current Public Health Restrictions in place. All persons complied with Garda direction and the crowd dispersed without incident.”

A atypical example of the casual attitude of Mr and Mrs GP over the past few months. Just in case people are wondering why our 3rd lockdown is following on so soon after our 2nd one which only ended just under a month ago!!! We could be on the brink of something unpleasant. Sure everyone is tired and drained by the pandemic at this point but the speed of the deterioration of the current situation shows how infections the virus is. From what the experts are saying we are going to see the daily figures skyrocket for the next month which may lead to many more deaths. The vast majority of us can only hope to be vaccinated by the end of the Summer.

17 in wrh +2
    2 in critical care no change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

tbayers wrote: »
    My last post was deleted. Good to see we can't tell the public on a public forum the local business' that were blatantly disregarding the safety of their communities by letting groups gather as they did. Gardai won't be renewing a few licenses anyway when the time comes that is for sure.

Why are we so afraid in this country to name the places and businesses where there are confirmed cases?

Take a look at places like Australia and New Zealand they post business names, dates and times very freely and ask people who have been in these places to get tested immediately.

Look at level of infection there compared to here!

Yet again we have handled this whole thing wrong, give people all the information that you can and let them act accordingly but keeping information hidden or swept under the carpet results in where we are at and going to be at!

In the summer it should have been no-one gets into this country without forced paid for by the individual controlled quarantine.

If those 2 simple measures were taken along with the social distancing etc. we would not have had to basically shut down our whole lives!

We are a small island country ffs we should be able to manage this but this is Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,433 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

reni10 wrote:
    Why are we so afraid in this country to name the places and businesses where there are confirmed cases?

Boards fear of being sued, maybe
    reni10 wrote:
    In the summer it should have been no-one gets into this country without forced paid for by the individual controlled quarantine.

Most Eu countries were extremely reluctant to go down this road, but we should have state controlled quarantine, similar to nz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Boards fear of being sued, maybe

Most Eu countries were extremely reluctant to go down this road, but we should have state controlled quarantine, similar to nz

It would have cost far far less to have state controlled quarantine then state controlled lockdowns especially on an island like ours!

We just never learn unfortunately...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

tbayers wrote: »
    My last post was deleted. Good to see we can't tell the public on a public forum the local business' that were blatantly disregarding the safety of their communities by letting groups gather as they did. Gardai won't be renewing a few licenses anyway when the time comes that is for sure.

You didn’t tell anyone anything though, you posted information which is hearsay is all, no facts or anything, just something which is common in a Whatapp group. If you were prepared to name the premises and say you were there and saw it first hand, then that would have been different. We got a number of reports about your posts also, hence I decided to delete it.

reni10 wrote: »
    It would have cost far far less to have state controlled quarantine then state controlled lockdowns especially on an island like ours!

We just never learn unfortunately...

reducing the free movement of people within the eu is a sensitive subject within the union, i suspect this is what was causing the resistance, but we should have had some sort of restrictions and controls

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

The vast majority of us can only hope to be vaccinated by the end of the Summer.

But there's a reliance on people
    1)going for the vaccine (because some just won't)
    2)going for part 2 of the vaccine (shur I'm grand)
    3)the thing actually works or stays working for long enough

interesting number crunching by david mcwilliams

To inoculate the nation, approx 5 million of us, needing two jabs per person. Means that for the country to be vaccinated in a year, we need to be doing about 200,000 a week or around 30,000 a day, seven days a week from today. What’s chance of that?

No chance at all! Well not until Oxford vaccine is licenced - that's the game changer for the majority of the population. Cheap, one shot, fridge storage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Massive outbreak tied to a bar in Tramore from 23/24. PM if you want the name. All 7 staff infected and as of yesterday 30 confirmed cases from those dates. That’s a massive outbreak for a town that pretty much dodged any material outbreaks so far

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Aquos76 wrote: »
    You didn’t tell anyone anything though, you posted information which is hearsay is all, no facts or anything, just something which is common in a Whatapp group. If you were prepared to name the premises and say you were there and saw it first hand, then that would have been different. We got a number of reports about your posts also, hence I decided to delete it.

I have family member that is very sick atm that works there , know for a fact 7 staff members tested positive. Also know personally 2 people that were there. And they know the rest that tested positive because guess what, they were all close contacts on days in question. What more do you want me to say? It isn't hear say. Il name the pub, have no problem doing that too. Or just DM me if people are worried.

Oh and beyond giving out personal information of those that tested positive, going as fsr as saying family member has tested positive will have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Do you know which one?

Yes, but I'm not going to state it here. I know the names of the individuals and the name of the building and know the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Helen McEntee stated this morning that the government does not believe that everyone will be vaccinated in 2021.

Holohan has also stated that further restrictions need to be implemented as the ones announced yesterday don’t go far enough, he’s also being blatant in the blame game at the moment.

He is looking for a full 6 week lockdown, which will probably mean all non-essential will close, I.e. construction, hardware stores, non-essential manufacturing, etc

The government lifted restrictions, opened restaurants, retail and allowed home visits, etc, what did they expect?

So basically this all means that we are in for another full year and beyond of these lockdowns and restrictions, without being offered any real endgame to encourage compliance and buying in to the effort needed to make these restrictions work

If we ever get out of this we are going to be in some mess, mentally and financially

My heart goes out to our young people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hodger

faceman wrote: »
    Massive outbreak tied to a bar in Tramore from 23/24. PM if you want the name. All 7 staff infected and as of yesterday 30 confirmed cases from those dates. That’s a massive outbreak for a town that pretty much dodged any material outbreaks so far

Without naming the place on a public forum Im after hearing the pub in question had a lockin Christmas eve.

Tramore numbers in the mix?

EqlC0DvW8AA4LLd?format=png&name=small

Latest LEA
    17-12-2020-p1.jpg
    17-12-2020-p2.jpg
    17-12-2020-p3.jpg
    31-12-p1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

So interesting to see so many people changing their tunes, it's only taken 9 months...

The outlook for the next month doesn't look good eh? That story about the Tramore bar is bananas. Who would have thought that a lock in during a pandemic could result in an outbreak?? FFS! Sad thing this sort of caper has probably happened in "local" pubs the length and breath of the country these past few weeks. Let's brace ourselves for a stormy start to 20-21.

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Helen McEntee stated this morning that the government does not believe that everyone will be vaccinated in 2021.

Holohan has also stated that further restrictions need to be implemented as the ones announced yesterday don’t go far enough, he’s also being blatant in the blame game at the moment.

He is looking for a full 6 week lockdown, which will probably mean all non-essential will close, I.e. construction, hardware stores, non-essential manufacturing, etc

The government lifted restrictions, opened restaurants, retail and allowed home visits, etc, what did they expect?

So basically this all means that we are in for another full year and beyond of these lockdowns and restrictions, without being offered any real endgame to encourage compliance and buying in to the effort needed to make these restrictions work

If we ever get out of this we are going to be in some mess, mentally and financially

My heart goes out to our young people

And to older people too, who are just as suscepticle to the horrendous physical and emotional effects of multiple lockdowns as younger people.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

And to older people too, who are just as suscepticle to the horrendous physical and emotional effects of multiple lockdowns as younger people.

You'd have to be made of stone to not be affected by it

Its surrell and please every possible god it will end in 2021, the negativity is getting way too much and personally sick of it. Ill do my part (mask wearing in public, hand washing, social distancing etc) im not hiding away in my room

Anyone feeling really bad plenty of resources out there to help. Email,phone call and even here can help you through it

PTH2009 wrote: »
    You'd have to be made of stone to not be affected by it

Its surrell and please every possible god it will end in 2021, the negativity is getting way too much and personally sick of it. Ill do my part (mask wearing in public, hand washing, social distancing etc) im not hiding away in my room

Anyone feeling really bad plenty of resources out there to help. Email,phone call and even here can help you through it

Ill be slated for being negative here but i really cant see it ending in a neat little fade to black way in 2021. The current cases are getting higher every day, the system cant cope, NPHET have warned that Level 5 might not be enough to control community transmission. Then you have the vaccines, which, as great as they are, have some potential drawbacks such as unknown side effects, short duration of immunity and the logistics of administering a low temperature jab to so many tiers of society, repeatedly for booster shots.
    Then you have the policies of other countries to take into account. Cant believe my eyes when i saw a "Vacc and Go" ad from Ryanair, showing groups of beautiful young people hopping into swimming pools in Spain and Italy. Those countries may be under lockdown in May and June, they may require proof of being vaccinated to all tourists, and April/May is still too early to reach the 15-30 age group.
    This pandemic may take years to end, there are just too many unknowns to state that 2021 is the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

100%, I’d be in the late 50’s bracket, My point being is that at my age and older we’ve come through crises, recessions etc and are in some way hardened but for the young, and I mean kids as well, it must be horrendous having the best years of their lives torn to shreds by this

I have 3 grandkids, 2 born in the last 6 months that I’ve yet to hlold, that’s tough, but if it means making those sacrifices to give them a safe future, it’ll be worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

jimbojazz wrote: »
    but if it means making those sacrifices to give them a safe future, it’ll be worth it

But it's been clear from day 1 that there are others who don't want to make any sacrifices and that's come to the fore now.

Advertisement