Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Do we know from what date the backlog cases start?
    Probably when they went on christmas holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

spookwoman wrote: »
    Probably when they went on christmas holidays.

I read yesterday that there's a backlog of approx 9000 cases. Do we know how many days they were on hols?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Does anybody do irony around here...............:(

That last sentence may as well be stamped on our foreheads at this stage. Our hospital is definitely in the top 3 worst funded/staffed/resourced hospitals in the country, it really is.

And for a hospital that is responsible for c.10% of the country's population it's a scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

I read yesterday that there's a backlog of approx 9000 cases. Do we know how many days they were on hols?

I see Philip Nolan said that we can expect c. 6,000 cases a day at the peak of this surge! It will be another week to ten days before L5 restrictions take effect. The R number is estimated to be 1.8 - 2.0.
    Can't see the schools opening Monday week. I wouldn't rule out a complete lockdown like last March 1st either.
    Not exactly the start to 2021 anyone was expecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I see Philip Nolan said that we can expect c. 6,000 cases a day at the peak of this surge! It will be another week to ten days before L5 restrictions take effect. The R number is estimated to be 1.8 - 2.0.
    Can't see the schools opening Monday week. I wouldn't rule out a complete lockdown like last March 1st either.
    Not exactly the start to 2021 anyone was expecting

Id take that tbh esp having a family wedding in March

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

We can only thank all the retarded/moronic/stupid/selfish behaviour of a lot of people both locally and country wide for attending funerals (eg Wexford one) various ‘lock ins’ and other non-compliant behaviours for the state of the numbers for now and for the next few weeks....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    We can only thank all the retarded/moronic/stupid/selfish behaviour of a lot of people both locally and country wide for attending funerals (eg Wexford one) various ‘lock ins’ and other non-compliant behaviours for the state of the numbers for now and for the next few weeks....!!

But it won't end there unfortunately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looks like the reaction to the Jan 11th vaccination start here has yielded a result - talk of Tuesday being the first day now. Mind you it'll probably be about 10 doses just to shut us up with a photo-op!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Rustyman101

might get a pic of our local Tds administering the dose, just to remind us who they are !

• Advertisement

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »

Sadly it's gonna take months not weeks to sort the current situation out. I can't get over how quickly things deterioted since L2 ended on the 1st Dec. What were we @ back then? 250+ cases; last week we hit 1k; now we're @ 3,500. All in the space of 1 month. Crazy but scary on another level too. There's gonna be a lot of needless deaths. It seems most people decided to go have a traditional Christmas. "Sure the vaccines are comin' what's the worst that could happen". Other than the most pessimistic of people nobody could have envisaged this scenario. In retrospect it was busy around town in the run up to Christmas. Shops had been closed for 6 weeks and people lost the run of themselves. Partly because of fatigue and partly because of the time of year. The long term result will be a prolonged exit from this never ending nightmare. If people had acted responsibility and the vaccines rolled out then we may have had a normal Summer. This setback is gonna push that date out by a few months. Hands up who trusts the HSE to run a seamless vaccination program?

20 in WRH +1
    5 in Critical Care no change
    0 Critical Care beds available in WRH

Recored case in Coolnasmear National School Dungarvan on the 28th

I just read that Israel has just passed the 1 million mark in vaccinating it's population. It has been vaccinating since the 19th December at a rate of 150,000 people per day! It's currently in it's 3rd lockdown but hopes to be pandemic free by the end of February!! Despite it's questionable record in the middle east region that is an amazing feat of organization on any level. Meanwhile here in Ireland the Health minister hopes to have all the nursing home residents vaccinated by the end of January; total number of people in nursing homes circa 80,000. Using Israeli methods this would be completed in half a day!!!

Waterford has a pretty low rate of infections, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

We just reported our highest daily total. Add in the fact the over 10k cases are officially unreported and assigned to anywhere, that figure is bound to be higher. Interesting to see breakdown of locations if we do indeed ever get a true figure. One has to ask how reliant this figures are now. Main thing is people should not be going near other people outside their household, under any circumstances. If one has to go to shop, take every precaution possible.

tbayers wrote: »
    We just reported our highest daily total. Add in the fact the over 10k cases are officially unreported and assigned to anywhere, that figure is bound to be higher. Interesting to see breakdown of locations if we do indeed ever get a true figure. One has to ask how reliant this figures are now. Main thing is people should not be going near other people outside their household, under any circumstances. If one has to go to shop, take every precaution possible.

I'm not living in fear anymore, ill go out wear my ask, wash/sanitize my hands and social distance. If i'm near anyone in my social circle who is vulnerable then ill act accordingly

Even with the vaccine its all doom and gloom, shutting down for another 2-3 months. The start of the year is tough as it is and then adding all this into it is too much

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'm not living in fear anymore, ill go out wear my ask, wash/sanitize my hands and social distance. If i'm near anyone in my social circle who is vulnerable then ill act accordingly

Even with the vaccine its all doom and gloom, shutting down for another 2-3 months. The start of the year is tough as it is and then adding all this into it is too much

That's all people are asked to do. Only thing wrong there is you shouldn't have a social circle outside of your house hold. That's not too much to ask is it? Meet outside probably a better option if you must. But if you meet someone in your circle that isn't vulnerable can you guarentee that they will take same measures as you?

Follow experts advice and have no social contacts, we all do that we all get out of this s*** show earlier.

tbayers wrote: »

What was it today, last time I checked it was 5 or so. Remember some of the backlog was reported today.

I have relatives down there so I keep an eye on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Am I wrong in thinking the numbers might be way higher now what they "dont have capacity" to test close contacts anymore. One might wonder what they've been doing for the last year if not preparing for surges like this.

• Advertisement

Am I wrong in thinking the numbers might be way higher now what they "dont have capacity" to test close contacts anymore. One might wonder what they've been doing for the last year if not preparing for surges like this.

Exactly and then Joe public gets the blame

PTH2009 wrote: »
    [/B]
    Exactly and then Joe public gets the blame

If people didn't act the gobsh*te and obeyed the restrictions the virus would not have the same chance to spread. Just because tracing is not up to scratch does that mean the virus does not spread, duh. I know it's hard to believe but people are the ones spreading the virus not some computer program that can't handle large numbers.

That like saying ah sure if I put these blinkers on I can't see the bad sh*t that happening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I don’t think it’s fair completely blame the public. There are other factors. Some publicans and restauranteurs have been taking the piss long before December with lax social distancing on the premises, the time limits, mask wearing etc. With little to no enforcement by the state, it became a free for all.

The government got their messaging wrong in November when they told people to enjoy Christmas but expect a lockdown in January. This only encourages people to make the most of the short lived freedoms.

There’s such a huge emphasis on alcohol in this country that id argue many aren’t even considering that there in an equal risk situation when auntie Mary calls round for tea or Jimmy’s kids from next door come in to play with your own kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I think you’re right that the public heard the message of lockdown coming and lots took it as their “chance” to see people and socialize. I know so many people, my own family included, who were out multiple nights a week in December with a different group each time. They never broke the rules of six people at a time and followed by rules for restaurants and pubs but wouldn’t understand why I didn’t agree. It meant like the news has said lately in a week they might have had 20 or more contacts if you bring family and kids etc in. It was a big bending of the rules by loads of people that have sent things off the charts.
    People need to accept responsibility and realise the more people the see the more risk and more importantly the more risk of passing it to someone vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

And still, 9 months on, it's too much to ask for people to take some personal responsibility. Those publicans not obeying the rules have to take responsibility for themselves, the members of the public eating and drinking in those pubs have to take responsibility for themselves. If anyone sees issues with "lax social distancing on the premises, the time limits, mask wearing" then, LEAVE. Just because you can stay and take advantage of lax rules, that doesn't mean you should.

Ths selfishness of some people this year has been quite galling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

While fully complying with the current restrictions. The numbers can be 10,000 a day of cases once the death rate is extremely low. There is no need to have the older ones in the country paralysed with fear.!Why is there no mention of all these people who have caught the virus and recovered having at least some immunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Humans mixing over Christmas was inevitable, we 're not the only country experiencing this problem, self isolating myself, probable indirect contact, some pain in the hole, be safe folks, this is gonna be a tough month

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

While fully complying with the current restrictions. The numbers can be 10,000 a day of cases once the death rate is extremely low. There is no need to have the older ones in the country paralysed with fear.!Why is there no mention of all these people who have caught the virus and recovered having at least some immunity?

...because this is a deeply worrying escalation, at peak season, we 're unsure if our health system can cope

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

faceman wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s fair completely blame the public. There are other factors. Some publicans and restauranteurs have been taking the piss long before December with lax social distancing on the premises, the time limits, mask wearing etc. With little to no enforcement by the state, it became a free for all.

This again? It’s like when the banks and credit unions forced people to use their mortgage to buy two cars and Bulgarian apartments.

If certain elements of the public were acting in a more responsible manner then the pubs and restaurants that weren’t enforcing masks, distancing or time limits would have been empty.

Unfortunately you can’t regulate for idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Gavlor wrote: »
    This again? It’s like when the banks and credit unions forced people to use their mortgage to buy two cars and Bulgarian apartments.

If certain elements of the public were acting in a more responsible manner then the pubs and restaurants that weren’t enforcing masks, distancing or time limits would have been empty.

Unfortunately you can’t regulate for idiots.

You're being harsh. Whats a responsible manner? Following the guidelines? The guidelines said you can go do a pub/restaurant with to a max of 6 people for up to 90 mins (or whatever the limit was). You could do that daily and not be in breach of any guidelines.

It may be a risky move in some circumstances, but its permitted, legal and in some instances encouraged. (Hello tourism grant 2020) I wouldn't call those people idiots. (I wouldn't call them geniuses either)

But that's just social settings around alcohol. Alcohol isn't the root cause of transmission.

Fact of the matter is Ireland has not enforced any measures since lockdown 1. THe messaging from government which feeds much of the decision making by households has been muddy, unclear and in some cases down right dangerous throughout.

Advertisement