Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

It's the Irish mentality thing. Let's wait and see what happens and s' happens!

Lock down the whole f' country and arrest and fine those who transgress!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It's the Irish mentality thing. Let's wait and see what happens and s' happens!

Many other countries experiencing a similar wave, so I don't think it's just an Irish thing

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

It's the first Monday of 2021. How about everyone make it their resolution to take some personal responsibility for their actions?

Stay at home (if possible), work from home (if possible), wear a mask, sanitise your hands, one person per trolley in the shops, if a place looks crowded, leave and go somewhere else and don't visit anyone's house unless it is essential (providing essential care to an elderly or unwell person). Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. The advice is very straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Thought Doyles was closed down? Lock in was it?

I'm not sure where is open or closed at the moment. The lads who were talking about it reckoned Barrack Street and surrounding areas were all traced back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Heard someone mention that earlier. A few cases linked to Doyle's, and all those cases have led to more. Rampant in some areas now.

Thought Doyles didn't open the doors since March?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Thought Doyles didn't open the doors since March?

As I mentioned above I'm not sure. Last I heard there was building work going on in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Many other countries experiencing a similar wave, so I don't think it's just an Irish thing

We had it under control though, relatively speaking and f ourselves over really. The funny thing is people I know giving out about the lockdown were the ones flouting the guidelines, therefore keeping us in lockdown. Couldn't make it up really. At the end of the day everyone is to blame, the government, public, friends etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Stay at home (if possible), work from home (if possible)

much as i agree, i dont like the 'if possible' that the government are using, it really should be stay/work at home UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. I could be working from home with little to no disruption (as are most of my industry colleagues) but my employers are taking advantage of the loose wording

much as i agree, i dont like the 'if possible' that the government are using, it really should be stay/work at home UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. I could be working from home with little to no disruption (as are most of my industry colleagues) but my employers are taking advantage of the loose wording

Business are either essential services or not. List is availible. I imagine that list will be reduced in next few days. What industry are you in?

id say being able to pay your mortgage, or not paying it, is fairly necessary, so i cant see many not not going to work, but im sure many employers are taking the pi$$

• Advertisement

tbayers wrote: »
    Business are either essential services or not. List is availible. I imagine that list will be reduced in next few days. What industry are you in?
    well yes and no - every business can find an argument for being 'essential'. I'm in architecture so technically we're 'essential', however its in no way essential that im in the actual office.
    id say being able to pay your mortgage, or not paying it, is fairly necessary, so i cant see many not not going to work, but im sure many employers are taking the pi$$
    nail on the head, wishy-washy wording will always lead to certain people/businesses taking advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Tramore GP on wlr saying over 250 confirmed cases in Tramore over Christmas. 1 in 20 people in tramore have the virus. and that is what they know about... scary stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

tbayers wrote: »

The reason it is vague is because it cannot be any other way. What is essential to me may well be very different to what is essential to you. Same with stay at home. That is OK for married people with a few children. It is far from OK for people who live alone. The restrictions by nature are blunt instruments.

BBM77 wrote: »
    The reason it is vague is because it cannot be any other way. What is essential to me may well be very different to what is essential to you.

disagree completely, if its a list from the government it should not be in any way vague - vagueness leads to interpretation and then whats the point.
    Same with stay at home. That is OK for married people with a few children. It is far from OK for people who live alone.

much as i see where youre coming from, also disagree. Apart from essential reasons (food shopping, medical appointments etc,) people should be staying at home, it doesnt matter whether you live alone or not. Yes it is isolating (I live alone so its not ideal), but there are enough alternative methods of communication to keep us going

disagree completely, if its a list from the government it should not be in any way vague - vagueness leads to interpretation and then whats the point.

much as i see where youre coming from, also disagree. Apart from essential reasons (food shopping, medical appointments etc,) people should be staying at home, it doesnt matter whether you live alone or not. Yes it is isolating (I live alone so its not ideal), but there are enough alternative methods of communication to keep us going

its probably not possible to create absolutely definitive guidelines, again, if it meant i was gonna be possibly homeless, id be going to work

if it meant i was gonna be possibly homeless, id be going to work

but you shouldn't have to (actual essential services excepted), or should be facilitated to work remotely, while in such an unsafe situation as we currently find ourselves.

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Tramore GP on wlr saying over 250 confirmed cases in Tramore over Christmas. 1 in 20 people in tramore have the virus. and that is what they know about... scary stuff

And a school with 1200 students is due to open this day next week. What could go wrong 😬

but you shouldn't have to (actual essential services excepted), or should be facilitated to work remotely, while in such an unsafe situation as we currently find ourselves.

of course people shouldnt have to, but is this whats happening in reality?

of course people shouldnt have to, but is this whats happening in reality?

well its the situation i find myself in currently, i also a number of people working in finance in dublin that are not being allowed to work from home. i'll extend my point to cover general safety of working conditions for those working, I've noticed a large number of sites showing little to no compliance with guidelines (in fairness, we're not the best for complying with existing safety guidelines in this country at the best of times so this isnt exactly unexpected)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

its probably not possible to create absolutely definitive guidelines, again, if it meant i was gonna be possibly homeless, id be going to work

You should work from home if you can should translate to IF YOU CAN WORK FROM HOME YOU MUST.

• Advertisement

91wx763 wrote: »
    You should work from home if you can should translate to IF YOU CAN WORK FROM HOME YOU MUST.

what if employers simply wont allow it, or its simply not possible to do?

So define what is essential and not essential then?

It certainly does matter if you live alone or not, how could it not? People are social animals after all. Not trying to be funny but if a farmer puts a cow a in a field on its own it would be considered animal cruelty as cows are social animals and it stresses them out to be on their own. Yet this whole point is ignored by NPHET. Alternative methods of communication are not really a substitute.

what if employers simply wont allow it

this is my whole point, due to the wording of guidelines employees have no legal recourse

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

this is my whole point, due to the wording of guidelines employees have no legal recourse

But that is where it's all going wrong.

Make the wording clear.

The days of "ah shur" need to end or we'll be going around in circles forever.

So define what is essential and not essential then?

not an exhaustive list but food production & retail, essential manufacturing, public services management, transport etc, research, emergency services etc, disability services
    It certainly does matter if you live alone or not, how could it not? People are social animals after all. Not trying to be funny but if a farmer puts a cow a in a field on its own it would be considered animal cruelty as cows are social animals and it stresses them out to be on their own. Yet this whole point is ignored by NPHET. Alternative methods of communication are not really a substitute.

ya but if you put a cow on the phone or on zoom it won't no what to do (i'm guessing, my bovine knowledge isn't too wide-reaching). however most humans have the intellect to be able to communicate in those ways. don't get me wrong, they aren't long term solutions but they are enough to ensure most people should be able to get through the next few months

91wx763 wrote: »
    But that is where it's all going wrong.

Make the wording clear.

The days of "ah shur" need to end or we'll be going around in circles forever.

completely agree, give certain employers an inch etc,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mary Butler swearing blind there was no bias regarding vaccine rollout in the SSWHG, and yet Jan 11st suddenly became Jan 4th or 5th depending on who you listen to, so something changed and things only change under pressure.

not an exhaustive list but food production & retail, essential manufacturing, public services management, transport etc, research, emergency services etc, disability services

Sure this is exactly my point. These are just completely vague. For example, “essential manufacturing”, I mean come on!
    ya but if you put a cow on the phone or on zoom it won't no what to do (i'm guessing, my bovine knowledge isn't too wide-reaching). however most humans have the intellect to be able to communicate in those ways. don't get me wrong, they aren't long term solutions but they are enough to ensure most people should be able to get through the next few months

People may get through the next few month like this but it is leading to a lot of mental health problems.

Mary Butler swearing blind there was no bias regarding vaccine rollout in the SSWHG, and yet Jan 11st suddenly became Jan 4th or 5th depending on who you listen to, so something changed and things only change under pressure.

mary butler!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

It is simple and I have said it before on this thread:

We live on an island, no-one gets in and no-one gets out!

If you need to get in you pay for state controlled quarantine the second you get into the country.

This one simple action will send the actual real message to everyone in this country that this is serious and also significantly prevent the spread of the virus.

It should have been done in April and then again in August but we just keep going with the wrong things in this country, always....

Advertisement