Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

BBM77 wrote: »
    Sure this is exactly my point. These are just completely vague. For example, “essential manufacturing”, I mean come on!
    manufacturing in general so

People may get through the next few month like this but it is leading to a lot of mental health problems.
    we should (hopefully anyway) start getting some semblance of normal life back towards the start of summer, if most people can get through till then with zoom etc, then we just have to work with that.

reni10 wrote: »
    It is simple and I have said it before on this thread:

We live on an island, no-one gets in and no-one gets out!

If you need to get in you pay for state controlled quarantine the second you get into the country.

This one simple action will send the actual real message to everyone in this country that this is serious and also significantly prevent the spread of the virus.

It should have been done in April and then again in August but we just keep going with the wrong things in this country, always....

absolutely, methinks bord failte, vintners association etc, had more than a quiet word in the governments ear

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

absolutely, methinks bord failte, vintners association etc, had more than a quiet word in the governments ear

they dont need to or had it in the quiet, its clearly obvious lobbyists have been at work, and in the open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Actually found it hilarious that as soon as FF got back into power the construction industry were added to the essential workers list and could continue working during the second lock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

reni10 wrote: »
    It is simple and I have said it before on this thread:

We live on an island, no-one gets in and no-one gets out!

If you need to get in you pay for state controlled quarantine the second you get into the country.

This one simple action will send the actual real message to everyone in this country that this is serious and also significantly prevent the spread of the virus.

It should have been done in April and then again in August but we just keep going with the wrong things in this country, always....

That is one of the things that seriously put me off the current rolling lockdown “strategy”. I have to stay at home but then when you go out a UK reg car drives past you! You could not pick a worse country to be allowing its people in at the moment.

• Advertisement

Actually found it hilarious that as soon as FF got back into power the construction industry were added to the essential workers list and could continue working during the second lock down.

The CIF were always gonna ensure that was gonna happen. Such a large number employed in construction the government were more than likely only delighted to get the numbers off the covid payment. wouldn't be too bad if there was widespread compliance with guidelines but i just haven't seen it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

And all during the summer, plane loads of US tourists were allowed to travel all over the country in pubs,hotels and tourist spots and there wasnt a peep about that. Our leaders are so submissive to Americans and everything was focused on people arriving from Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

I have "heard" of people going to London and back for a dentist appointment or a hair-cut!

"The flights are really cheap and so much easier to go through the airport!"

No-one in and No-one out!

That is the only way and that message needs to go loud and clear to the current inept government!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

And all during the summer, plane loads of US tourists were allowed to travel all over the country in pubs,hotels and tourist spots and there wasnt a peep about that. Our leaders are so submissive to Americans and everything was focused on people arriving from Europe.

Have you any data to back your statement?
    I'm certainly under the impression that there was virtually zero US tourists last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

gman2k wrote: »
    I'm certainly under the impression that there was virtually zero US tourists last summer.

far from it you can look through the monthly stats here (warning some stories are for 2019/18)

https://www.dublinairport.com/search-result?indexCatalogue=passenger-site-index&searchQuery=Passenger%20Numbers&wordsMode=AllWords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

gman2k wrote: »

As per previous post there were tonnes of American tourists around last year, travelling from a virus ravaged country but Ireland has a blind spot when dealing with Americans so the silence was deafening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Operations report from last night

In WRH 25 +5
    Critical Care 6 +1
    0 critical care beds available - No change

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-daily-operations-update-20-00-03-january-2021.pdf

England are going into full "make lockdown happen" mode - Bojo on the stupid box this evening, including the schools so I think we know what is coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

England are going into full "make lockdown happen" mode - Bojo on the stupid box this evening, including the schools so I think we know what is coming here.

Probably our politicians waiting to see what everyone else is doing before copying.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Scotland have announced it already, a full lockdown until the end of January at least.

106 for what it's worth

Eq6DkfSXYAM4YJA?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

and yesterday number increased by 1 to 119

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Hardly consider this to be a "big lock in"
    Local publican John Sheedy, who runs the Ritz bar, said that although a number of staff had contracted Covid-19, he “strictly” enforced public health guidelines.

Pubs nationwide were ordered to close at 3pm on Christmas Eve as virus figures continued to rise, but there were claims on social media that a large number had gathered in the the Ritz after hours, in breach of regulations. Mr Sheedy denied this.

“I have 17 CCTV cameras for the pub. I can show how well we obeyed the guidelines,” he said.

“I did have 20 staff back here so they could collect their wages at around 5 o’clock on Christmas Eve. They had worked extremely hard and we wouldn’t be opening back up, so I wanted to pay them up.”

He added: “We had two, three drinks, and finished up around 7 o’clock and I had locked up by 8.30.”

Mr Sheedy said gardaí called to the pub after 6pm on Christmas Eve, after he and staff had got “a bit noisy”. The 20 staff were seated across seven tables in the pub’s function room, he added.

Gardaí requested the pub owner supply a list of staff who were in attendance after hours before leaving, he said.

Gardaí said no investigation was taking place into rule breaches at the premises.

Four staff at the Ritz have tested positive for coronavirus, although none had symptoms, said Mr Sheedy. A number of his family members have also since tested positive, while he is self-isolating after a negative test result.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/tramore-covid-spike-can-be-traced-to-several-events-at-christmas-says-gp-1.4450023?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Aquos76 wrote: »

Having visited the pub prior to December I first hand experienced it’s “strict compliance”. Strict compliance me hole.

Also Dr. Byrne, 250 cases in Tramore doesn’t not equate to 1 in 20 people having the virus. Do the math

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Tony Holohan's saying the current situation is worse than it was last Mar/Apr. I reckon we could hit 10,000 cases in a day over the next week or so. If the first lockdown took a couple of months to abate than this one won't be sorted by Paddy's Day at the earliest. We might be back on track by Easter perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Aquos76 wrote: »

Same spiel as yer man in south Wexford.

Again the "denial" only digs the hole deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hodger

Tony Holohan's saying the current situation is worse than it was last Mar/Apr. I reckon we could hit 10,000 cases in a day over the next week or so. If the first lockdown took a couple of months to abate than this one won't be sorted by Paddy's Day at the earliest. We might be back on track by Easter perhaps?

The Tánaiste was quoted earlier today saying.
    Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has warned that unless new virus cases fall below 800 per day by the end of the month, the current Level 5 lockdown will continue.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tighter-lockdown-within-weeks-unless-cases-fall-39928073.html?fbclid=IwAR1M8RHHTKyIo6bIpFO_BRsjmjCMlVvkMLk-YlSQ9yMhU7MGKJrdwB9n2Nk

As to how long it will take for Covid cases to fall below 800 remains to be seen. But the first lockdown last Spring we didn,t have Covid cases in the range of a good few thousand per day like we are seeing presently and it took over two months for things to gradually reopen in different phases. Given where we are all at with Covid being so high when Covid falls it could be another gradual reopending like we saw last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hodger wrote: »
    The Tánaiste was quoted earlier today saying.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tighter-lockdown-within-weeks-unless-cases-fall-39928073.html?fbclid=IwAR1M8RHHTKyIo6bIpFO_BRsjmjCMlVvkMLk-YlSQ9yMhU7MGKJrdwB9n2Nk

As to how long it will take for Covid cases to fall below 800 remains to be seen. But the first lockdown last Spring we didn,t have Covid cases in the range of a good few thousand per day like we are seeing presently and it took over two months for things to gradually reopen in different phases. Given where we are all at with Covid being so high when Covid falls it could be another gradual reopending like we saw last year.

Having a vaccine puts us in a better position than last March/April/May but we need to get our asses in gear and get people vaccinated quicker

We simply cant afford another long long lockdown and please god this one will be the last of it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There won’t be any meaningful level of vaccination until the Oxford vaccine is approved as that’s where our bulk supply is. That’s going to be February earliest according to EMA. Remember the existing vaccines need 2 doses a month apart. So anyone vaccinated now won’t be fully covered till next month. Even then they can transmit the virus as the vaccines only suppress symptoms.

It’ll be the summer before Ireland gets ahead of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Can't see us opening up in any meaningful way before Paddy's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Can't see us opening up in any meaningful way before Paddy's Day.

Who’d have thought when there was such discussion over St Patrick’s day and parades etc last year that we’d still be in the same position a year on. Ignorance was definitely bliss!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Junior Hurler

Thought the jury is out on if those vaccinated can transmit infection but maybe have a definitive source to say otherwise?
    faceman wrote: »
    There won’t be any meaningful level of vaccination until the Oxford vaccine is approved as that’s where our bulk supply is. That’s going to be February earliest according to EMA. Remember the existing vaccines need 2 doses a month apart. So anyone vaccinated now won’t be fully covered till next month. Even then they can transmit the virus as the vaccines only suppress symptoms.

It’ll be the summer before Ireland gets ahead of this.

First batch of vaccines for front line staff has arrived in WRH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I've heard talk of a significant outbreak in Tramore? Any truth in that?

• Advertisement

Yes but it's not the Ritz according to it's owner and the garda.

A pharmacist was on Deise Today earlier talked about a couple of discrete outbreaks and general household mixing. So you can interpret that as meaning public places you like

UHW is administering vaccines from about now, and they have enough for about 470 people I think (ie nearly a 1000 doses)

Advertisement