Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

The most common response I've heard is "I know my own body, I know it's not covid" :rolleyes: You'd wonder is it arrogance, stupidity or denial.

You didn't make the letters big enough so I did you a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

91wx763 wrote: »
    You didn't make the letters big enough so I did you a favour.

From listening to a few doctors and health care professionals in the media these past couple of days the advice is pretty simple. If you have a cough or are feeling under the weather you should behave like you have the virus. There's no flu going around. Stay at home and away from others. Get a test done. Nobody is invincible. We don't need any super heroes parading around spreading a virus. We are all in the same boat. Nobody is enjoying these prolonged anti social times or the ever changing restrictions. Thing is that the virus doesn't conform to our 21st century lifestyles. The Government is only reacting to the ever changing events on a day to day basis. That's all we can do at present. Collectively we let our guard down in the run up to Christmas.
    As an Irish Times article today mentions Tramore in a list of worst affected areas by incidence rate: 226 cases from a population of 22'372, giving a rate of 1'012.2. We have all read about the events in the area that led to the rise. Covid Coast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Corona Coast sounds more marketable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

HSE Operations report was updated this morning.

37 +6 in hospital
    icu no change at 5

And this seems to confirm my comment yesterday.....

ErOuOsAXUAMVIoE?format=jpg&name=small

However two of the days deaths are apparently local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Very sad for all those affected by today's deaths

Know its bad thing to say but do they need to examine the age profile of the deaths and try to swing it in a positive light so we can get the economy up and running. Most if not all of the deaths have been of older people who may have had underlying conditions

And this seems to confirm my comment yesterday.....

ErOuOsAXUAMVIoE?format=jpg&name=small

However two of the days deaths are apparently local.

But hasn't the close contact testing stopped temporarily ?

PTH2009 wrote: »

Know its bad thing to say but do they need to examine the age profile of the deaths and try to swing it in a positive light so we can get the economy up and running. Most if not all of the deaths have been of older people who may have had underlying conditions

39VT5.jpg

I love to see you say that to the grieving relatives. If it was one of mine I'd f*cking deck you and that would only be that start.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I know one of the people who died yesterday and I can assure you they weren’t that old, I really hope their family don’t stumble upon this thread now.

• Advertisement

Ah FFS come on fella....

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

Then why say it?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

My apologies wasn't thinking fully

Been in the dreaded side rooms in ICU before and it's not pleasant

Anyone that puts the economy before lives is an absolute scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Today at WRH there was queueing for hours by the staff for the Vaccination.

With Moderna/Glaxo/Pfizer, etc. all making the vaccine - are there any differences whatsoever in the vaccine of different manufacturers?
    Might different Groups be vaccinated with different manufacturers' vaccine? Or could batches be different.

Heartening though that the Chapel was the place it is being administered from?

With Moderna/Glaxo/Pfizer, etc. all making the vaccine - are there any differences whatsoever in the vaccine of different manufacturers?
    Might different Groups be vaccinated with different manufacturers' vaccine? Or could batches be different.

Queues in UPMC Whitfield also, about time deliveries have landed in Waterford, hopefully all the nursing homes get done now in the next few days.

Right all, @PTH2009 has apologised for his post, he has acknowledged that in was in bad taste, let’s leave it there now.

The Glaxo vaccine was withdrawn, wasn't a success, that leaves Oxford as the other of the three available at present.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/11/gsk-sanofi-covid-vaccine-delayed-end-next-year

I’m posting this as it’s truly awful and not because of the recent post, this just shows no one knows how it can take hold and affect someone

https://twitter.com/leeam_dubwest/status/1347614295484493825

That is so very sad. What a heartbreaking time for these families.
    Not being able to mourn and grieve in the "normal" way often causes people to carry their grief with them for much longer. In addition, these families are also obviously going through the same lockdown issues as the rest of us so, the grief, the stress, the anxiety is multiplied for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

91wx763 wrote: »
    The Glaxo vaccine was withdrawn, wasn't a success, that leaves Oxford as the other of the three available at present.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/11/gsk-sanofi-covid-vaccine-delayed-end-next-year

How do they know that it wasn't a success. With so many pharmaceutical companies who will manufacture the vaccine - is that to an ubiquitous single patent.

Who knows, for some Groups, they could be water and glucose. And have no effect.
    Different vaccine for other Groups could be not tested enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Are front line staff actually getting the vaccine though? Heard some admin and even porters have had it before nurses. Criminal if true. How bad is situation in general? Numbers don't look good and if there are outbreaks out there staff must be at huge risk, even more so than "normal"??

tbayers wrote: »
    Are front line staff actually getting the vaccine though? Heard some admin and even porters have had it before nurses. Criminal if true. How bad is situation in general? Numbers don't look good and if there are outbreaks out there staff must be at huge risk, even more so than "normal"??
    Would not surprise me, did you see that a retired security guard was one of the lot to get vaccinated in CUH

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

I heard Grace Rothwell of UHW on Deise fm the other morning. Tiernan was asking about the vaccines been rolled out in the hospital. She said that they got about 950 doses. He said that would cover the staff. She replied 'No, we will need about 4,000 doses. This would cover the whole campus. Ambulance drivers, nurses, doctors, admin, porters etc". I thought I was hearing things! Listen back yourself if you don't believe me. Tuesday mornings so IIRC. Four thousand is a huge number.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

tbayers wrote:

It's a mixture of all types of staff , for instance I know of a cleaner there who got the vaccine today ,the reason being that she cleans on a very high risk ward and all staff on those wards are priority I'm told

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Tiger Roll wrote:
    It's a mixture of all types of staff , for instance I know of a cleaner there who got the vaccine today ,the reason being that she cleans on a very high risk ward and all staff on those wards are priority I'm told

I know someone that does that job to, fcuking disgraceful the pay they get

Certain groups of staff were prioritised, ICU staff, ED staff, (both ICU and ED staff includes admin staff, who are essential to the running of both areas), staff on certain wards (again, including essential admin staff), porters and household staff, including cleaning staff and catering staff, who work throughout the hospital, including high risk areas, who are mixing with staff, patients and members of the public (due to the nature of their work) and staff in the public cafe and the staff canteen (to name a few). Then, it was offered out to the rest of the staff body.

Their goal was to vaccinate 6 staff members every 10 minutes so, they would have gotten through the priority groups fairly swiftly. On Friday, they started offering the vaccine widely to admin staff as there has been very good uptake from the priority staff and the rest of the medical staff.

I hope the public feel reassured that the staff uptake of the vaccine in all the medical facilities in Waterford, not just UHW, has been very good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Just when you hear (on very good authority) that porter staff and admin staff that aren't near the floor have got it over nurses that are in contact with patients makes you pretty angry. Hopefully that was all resolved over the last couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Certain groups of staff were prioritised, ICU staff, ED staff, (both ICU and ED staff includes admin staff, who are essential to the running of both areas), staff on certain wards (again, including essential admin staff), porters and household staff, including cleaning staff and catering staff, who work throughout the hospital, including high risk areas, who are mixing with staff, patients and members of the public (due to the nature of their work) and staff in the public cafe and the staff canteen (to name a few). Then, it was offered out to the rest of the staff body.

Their goal was to vaccinate 6 staff members every 10 minutes so, they would have gotten through the priority groups fairly swiftly. On Friday, they started offering the vaccine widely to admin staff as there has been very good uptake from the priority staff and the rest of the medical staff.

I hope the public feel reassured that the staff uptake of the vaccine in all the medical facilities in Waterford, not just UHW, has been very good so far.

And retired staff yes . To be honest it was just given out in no order with paramedics etc being a after thought if we have any to spare . Meanwhile residential homes have to wait for there’s . They could have easily offered it to staff to come in from these areas . There are admin staff who do not work in anyway with patients getting the Vacination when staff in care homes waiting in some cases till the end of the month . This does not make any sense .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

alibab wrote: »
    And retired staff yes . To be honest it was just given out in no order with paramedics etc being a after thought if we have any to spare . Meanwhile residential homes have to wait for there’s . They could have easily offered it to staff to come in from these areas . There are admin staff who do not work in anyway with patients getting the Vacination when staff in care homes waiting in some cases till the end of the month . This does not make any sense .

Don't fall into the trap of believing everything reported on boards.ie......I’ve read versions of events on boards and other social media outlets that have been far from accurate.....anybody can type and post anything and add their negative ( rarely positive) spin to it.......:(

Advertisement