Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Is Kilcohan the only test centre in Waterford? Over 800 cases in just 2 days, can they even test that many in 2 days.

To get 800 cases they would have had to test about 4000 which seems very unlikely ,seems like there is definitely backlog numbers amongst today's figures

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    To get 800 cases they would have had to test about 4000 which seems very unlikely ,seems like there is definitely backlog numbers amongst today's figures

Hospital and they do call outs for testing. Also the mass testing in factories, nursing homes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Is Kilcohan the only test centre in Waterford? Over 800 cases in just 2 days, can they even test that many in 2 days.

I went from the other side of Dungarvan to Kilcohan 30 odd miles so guess it is.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

spookwoman wrote:
    Hospital and they do call outs for testing. Also the mass testing in factories, nursing homes etc.

Yeah that's a fair point but still hard to see 2000 tests a day in Waterford .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    Yeah that's a fair point but still hard to see 2000 tests a day in Waterford .

I'd love to know how many they can test a day at Kilcohan but while I was there if there were two people testing they wouldn't have got through many more than 200 a day. Thats say 2 tests every 5 minutes. Even a twice the speed its only 400? Assuming 8 hour day.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Tests are regularly carried out within nursing homes and hospital settings also. Then there are tests which ambulance service carry out in people’s homes and assist the HSE is there is a cluster detected somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Picky owner

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

Our hospital will not cope with more. We don't have the staff.

HSE OP REPORT

56 in hospital +9

6 icu no change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Picky owner

spookwoman wrote: »
    HSE OP REPORT

56 in hospital +9

6 icu no change

What is the icu capacity in UHW?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Maybe a better question is how many ICU beds do they have staffing for?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Our hospital will not cope with more. We don't have the staff.

Agreed. We are in deep trouble. We're the fourth highest or worst in Ireland. Almost 2'000 over past fourteen days. The cases keep coming and the hospital is @ the limit. HSE says we won't see admissions peak for another 2 week's yet. That's still a long way down the road. With the high case numbers locally these past few days many of these will need medical care in the not too distant future. At least we have UPMC Whitfield to bring on stream. Although we are technically in Level 5 there's still a lot of movement of people around the town compared to last Mar/Apr. Worrying thing is the situation is much more precarious right now. We've had case numbers nationally in the thousands since just before Christmas. That's three weeks ago! Another 7k today. We are nearly bottom of the class in Europe. This sort of trajectory is unsustainable.

Updated version of sheet with cases in hospital and icu
    totals for w/e hospital and icu are rough numbers
    casesupda.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Are there any checkpoints at all around the city? I have been out to Tramore and the Cork Road and Paddy Browns Road etc several times over the weekend and i have yet to see one cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Were all your journeys essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Are there any checkpoints at all around the city? I have been out to Tramore and the Cork Road and Paddy Browns Road etc several times over the weekend and i have yet to see one cop.

Yes, Tramore Gardaí are there more often than they are not. And had friends outside 5km past few days out walking and they were told if it happens again they will be fined. Since. Tramore was/is so rampant with the thing they have a point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dunmore road has one by the fitness centre.

What is the icu capacity in UHW?
    10,but has capcity to.add 17 more

Hopefully.it wont come.to that
    Maybe a better question is how many ICU beds do they have staffing for?

10 ICU beds require 50-60 nurses. 17 ICU beds require 85-100 nurses. Altogether, that's approx 135-160 nurses and, that's *just* the nursing staff.

• Advertisement

There's one on the Dunmore road since Thursday morning. I went through Thursday morning on my way to work and, it started snowing a few minutes before I got to the checkpoint, they waved me through but stopped others. I was surprised to see them out in that weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

tbayers wrote: »
    Yes, Tramore Gardaí are there more often than they are not. And had friends outside 5km past few days out walking and they were told if it happens again they will be fined. Since. Tramore was/is so rampant with the thing they have a point

Yeah, Tramore had one but if you are feeding gold fish you will be waved through apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hijpo wrote:
    Yeah, Tramore had one but if you are feeding gold fish you will be waved through apparently.

Must have caught it with his fishing line!

Letterkenny treating people in ambulances, ffs!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Hijpo wrote: »

https://filebin.net/j0yvojpcuxwu49hk/WhatsApp_Video_2021-01-08_at_16.42.15.mp4?t=57op1629

All outpatient activity and elective procedures CANCELLED in UHW until at least 22 January.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

I heard on Deise FM that a man had to be rescued by the RNLI lifeboat in Tramore. He had travelled down from Kilkenny for a swim. As you do. In January. In a pandemic. In a town that has had a large number of cases.
    I'm all for people exercising as a method of keeping active, stress relief and maintaining good mental health but this takes the biscuit. How about exercising some personal responsibility for the health of others?
    Apparently a lot of people from the city have also been going out to the seaside for a walk; Tramore, Dunmore, Woodstown. A lady from Dunhill said the Anne Valley has been full with walkers over the weekend. There's a story on the Journal.ie about traffic jams in the Wicklow mountains this weekend with Gardai having to manage traffic. Even Ryan Tubbridy on his show commented about the traffic this morning and over the weekend in the capital.
    And people wonder why the numbers still remain so stubbornly high? These sort of soft Level 5 capers are only going to prolong the restrictions and/or cause more case's than needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

One possible reason for the high traffic levels is that people are afraid to use public transport which is quiet understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

dieselbug wrote: »
    One possible reason for the high traffic levels is that people are afraid to use public transport which is quiet understandable.

Sorry but that's only validation. Exercise doesnt have to be a family jolly to somewhere that looks nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I heard on Deise FM that a man had to be rescued by the RNLI lifeboat in Tramore. He had travelled down from Kilkenny for a swim. As you do. In January. In a pandemic. In a town that has had a large number of cases.
    I'm all for people exercising as a method of keeping active, stress relief and maintaining good mental health but this takes the biscuit. How about exercising some personal responsibility for the health of others?
    Apparently a lot of people from the city have also been going out to the seaside for a walk; Tramore, Dunmore, Woodstown. A lady from Dunhill said the Anne Valley has been full with walkers over the weekend. There's a story on the Journal.ie about traffic jams in the Wicklow mountains this weekend with Gardai having to manage traffic. Even Ryan Tubbridy on his show commented about the traffic this morning and over the weekend in the capital.
    And people wonder why the numbers still remain so stubbornly high? These sort of soft Level 5 capers are only going to prolong the restrictions and/or cause more case's than needs be.

i made sure to go to a fairly remote part of the mountains over the weekend, still a few people around, but id say very few would venture up there during that type of weather, certainly no one on top where i was, thank god, bloody dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

91wx763 wrote: »
    Sorry but that's only validation. Exercise doesnt have to be a family jolly to somewhere that looks nice.

That's not I'm referring to. People who would travel to work who would normally use public transport or some other necessary journey. For example I was talking to a former work collogue last night (on the phone) and he was saying how they can no longer car share going to work and this is travelling to Dublin. So where there was one car travelling carrying maybe five people it's now five cars with one each plus paying parking in Dublin city center for the week.

Advertisement