Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Are the 44 deaths in January 2021 part of a backlog of notifications or something? The way it's phrased sounds like it's spread out over the first 11 days of January. I'm wondering what would have delayed the notification of 44 deaths.

I know some deaths aren't notified until much later due to official standard procedures around deaths in medical settings vs deaths in private homes but the 44 deaths in the first 11 days of January wouldn't really fall under that umbrella.

The vaccination program in the hospital has gone really well, excellent uptake of the vaccine across all staffing groups. They worked through the weekend and they're after getting through everyone very quickly.

Part of backlog from start of year? It said 44 was from January. It was reported that there was over 100 covid outbreaks in nursing homes this morning. https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0112/1189117-coronavirus-nursing-homes/

15 deaths in 1 since outbreak started last month in Dublin
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-outbreak-claims-15-lives-at-south-dublin-nursing-home-1.4456710

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

I tested positive for covid today after developing symptoms over the weekend. I only had some aches and pains a sore back and pain in the back of my eyes. Not your normal symptoms but it prompted me to get test instead of turning into work on Monday. I work in one of the big multi nationals in Waterford and definitely picked it up in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I tested positive for covid today after developing symptoms over the weekend. I only had some aches and pains a sore back and pain in the back of my eyes. Not your normal symptoms but it prompted me to get test instead of turning into work on Monday. I work in one of the big multi nationals in Waterford and definitely picked it up in there.

Sorry to hear that, hope that's the worst of it for you and doesn't last too long.
    What are the protocols and conditions like in there?

Hijpo wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, hope that's the worst of it for you and doesn't last too long.
    What are the protocols and conditions like in there?

They are following public health advice. Mask wearing is mandatory in all areas. Everyone is keeping social distance as best you can. I suppose if someone is asymptomatic they can do a lot of damage in one shift. It’s supposed to be rampant in there at the moment. I don’t know why mass testing not being carried out like meat plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

They are following public health advice. Mask wearing is mandatory in all areas. Everyone is keeping social distance as best you can. I suppose if someone is asymptomatic they can do a lot of damage in one shift. It’s supposed to be rampant in there at the moment. I don’t know why mass testing not being carried out like meat plants.

Does an employer have a choice about mass testing taking place at the work place.....?

• Advertisement

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Does an employer have a choice about mass testing taking place at the work place.....?

I don’t know but surely they have a duty of care to their employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

I don’t know but surely they have a duty of care to their employees.

Get well soon bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jesus, staff shortages

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Eamonn Dunphys podcast (The Stand) yesterday was interesting. Covid related. One stat he quoted from the Irish Times was interesting:
    First 100 days of pandemic: Feb 29 to Jun 6 : 25'000 cases.
    Second 100 days : Jun 7 to Sep 16 : 6'598 cases.
    Third 100 days : Sepv17 to Dec 25 : 52'299 cases.
    Last 17 days : 68'444 cases.

Even with the vaccine rollout the coverage will be pretty low until a certain percentage of us are vaccinated so whenever the Government decides to reopen or ease restrictions cases will rise. The new variants will only accelerate this. All things going well realistically we are gonna be looking at most of the year under some kind of restrictions and masks/distancing/hygiene etc. So unfortunately holidaying abroad looks to be off the menu. I was kinda hoping for a music festival or two by the summer but that seems overly optimistic now considering the amount of people who attend such events. MCD were saying that they hope electric picnic will go ahead but it's hard to forsee that now. They admitted stadium or indoor shows are off the cards this year as no acts are planning on touring. Reading between the lines why would a band plonk themselves in front of 50k people at a festival so? We are learning more about the virus all the time but some form of zero Covid approach last summer when the numbers were so low looks like a missed opportunity.. It's only recently, six months later, that incoming travel is being restricted. Ironically it's most other nations that won't leave us in! In the past few days the Netherlands and the Germans were using us as examples of what they want to avoid happening in their own jurisdictions.
    However we can only speculate about what might happen and truth is none of us truly knows what will come to pass over the next year. Suppose if we aimed to be happy, safe and well throughout the year that would suffice!

HSE Operations Report

67 in hospital +4
    6 in icu no change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Rampant in quite a few schools now I'm hearing!

Easy to say it now but they never should have opened regardless.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Dunno how it is when all schools are closed three weeks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I think you mean factories not schools.

168 cases in Waterford

E656-BC36-3-FA1-46-EE-B5-AD-BAE6-CCBADC8-D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I have friends in a couple of the multinationals on the industrial estate and they've seen numbers shoot up in the last couple of weeks. Some shifts, departments etc. have seen multiple cases.

I have friends in a couple of the multinationals on the industrial estate and they've seen numbers shoot up in the last couple of weeks. Some shifts, departments etc. have seen multiple cases.

That really doesn’t surprise me, since they’ve stopped testing close contacts this was inevitably. People know they should be isolating but are still going about their day to day business. I know of someone who had a test yesterday morning and her partner went into one of these factories yesterday afternoon and again today. I didn’t hear if she has tested positive or negative though.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

I know I've said this already but the hospital have started moving staff from "regular" wards to the ICU and the ED. This means that the work on the "regular" wards has been reduced. That is going to have a massive impact on our patients, who will not be able to have essential therapies because the focus right now is keeping people out of the hospital.

The whole of the Dunmore Wing is now being used for covid patients, such is the high number of covid positive inpatients, who are all in single rooms.
    Reconcile the fact that, if patients are in single rooms, even more staff is required in order to monitor them all at a safe level. And that's all separate to current patients in the ICU, the HDU and the CCU.

I cannot stress this enough, we do not have the staff for this surge to get worse. And, when I say "we", I mean "we" as in, all of us in Waterford.
    I hope that everyone in Waterford, while doing whatever they can to stop the spread of covid, is doing so with our hospital staff in the back of your minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

2'139 cases in the last 2 week's. Figures still stubbornly high TBH. It's been almost 3 weeks since Christmas. Thought we might have seen a bigger drop off since. Especially with the schools off. Perhaps it's the new variant effect? Responsible for almost 50% of cases now. Gonna make it harder to get those numbers down to manageable levels. Will make the decision on whether to reopen schools impossible. I'm not an expert but we'd need to be in the mid hundreds to have any changes. Reckon the Govt will be extra extra cautious due to the hospitals being under immense pressure and the risk of reigniting the case numbers. NPHET are saying the hospital, ICU and death numbers will remain high for a few weeks yet. Even the WHO are predicting this year will be even more difficult than last year!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

2'139 cases in the last 2 week's. Figures still stubbornly high TBH. It's been almost 3 weeks since Christmas. Thought we might have seen a bigger drop off since. Especially with the schools off. Perhaps it's the new variant effect? Responsible for almost 50% of cases now.

Close contacts being expected to self police and self isolate without a test probably playing a fairly big hand in that. That and people who have actually tested positive thinking it's no harm to pop down to Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I think you mean factories not schools.

Sorry! I meant children from a number of schools!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I see Mulligans Pharmacy in Barronstrand Street, are going antigen & antibody testing - has/is anyone going to have it done? I hadn't heard of this being available in Waterford, so just curious really.

https://www.mulliganspharmacy.com/Pages/Coronavirus-(COVID-19)

RubyK wrote: »
    I see Mulligans Pharmacy in Barronstrand Street, are going antigen & antibody testing - has/is anyone going to have it done? I hadn't heard of this being available in Waterford, so just curious really.

They’ve been advertising that a few weeks now as have Boots as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

RubyK wrote: »

And the important bit - €49 https://mulliganspharmacy.com/covid-testing#horizontalTab1 then click the link for Mulligans Barronstrand Street.

Wake me up when it's all over.

And the important bit - €49 https://mulliganspharmacy.com/covid-testing#horizontalTab1 then click the link for Mulligans Barronstrand Street.

I didn't spot that, was wondering what the cost would be - thanks for pointing it out :)

Aquos76 wrote: »
    They’ve been advertising that a few weeks now as have Boots as far as I know.

I must be hiding under a rock, never heard about it being available :)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

There seems to be differnces of opinion between the pharmacists and the medical profession on the bona fides of those tests.

HSE operations report last night

In hospital 78 +11
    6 in ICU no change

Hearing of another death in Waterford today early 50's I believe.

• Advertisement

spookwoman wrote: »
    HSE operations report last night

In hospital 78 +11
    6 in ICU no change

Make that 93 as of the latest charts released

C038-F87-E-00-A1-43-CF-B9-AF-205-E48-A8-CB69.jpg

Advertisement