Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Is there any acceptable alternative to the ‘r’ word.....w@nkers, ‘see you next Tuesdays’...?

One week ban for trolling, you previously accused me of giving you a warning when I was only sent you an explanation as to why I had edited your post. You are clearly trying to wind me up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Retail will be closed until well after Easter id say. The pandemic will likely never be fully over since you need a huge population of the entire planet vaccinated to see an end to this. The rich countries will get priority over the likes of India and Africa which will complicate matters more, when politics are involved. We have to live with this virus for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Act like you are infectious and treat everyone else like they are infectious. It's that simple.

Exactly what we are supposed to be doing, pity everyone doesn't get it.
    The logic of it I mean, not the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Retail will be closed until well after Easter id say. The pandemic will likely never be fully over since you need a huge population of the entire planet vaccinated to see an end to this. The rich countries will get priority over the likes of India and Africa which will complicate matters more, when politics are involved. We have to live with this virus for a very long time.

No chance of it being open before then. In the papers today they were saying that hospitality/restaurants/hotels : Summer @ earliest; wet pubs sometime in the Autumn. HSE Chief on the radio yesterday said as majority of population won't be vaccinated till late Autumn it's highly likely that we will be living with restrictions for another year. Stark outlook for the foreseeable future. Well at least we know what lies ahead and can be realistic about things. They are looking for the schools to return this side of Paddy's Day, leaving certs first than a staggered return of other students. Probably gonna be no formal sit down exams if truth be told. The number of cases and ICU numbers will determine the scaling back of restrictions. Seems everyone in government is resigned to the cautious feet forward approach this time round after what happened at Christmas. Those lobby groups might as well accept the inevitable at this stage. We all have to sit tight. Get vaccinated. And hold our nerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭spookwoman

111 now in WRH + 10
    6 Still in ICU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

My wife and I were out for a walk today and met friends of ours. After 30 seconds of chit chat the conversation turned to Covid, our friends said they didn’t want to talk about it and their New Years resolution was to ban all talk of it in their house. They deleted the news apps from their phones and avoid the news. They don’t care about new cases or deaths as the news isn’t going to make a difference to them. They said they’ve not been as happy in months and my wife and I have decided to do the same. They’re staying at home and they’re just getting out for a walk once or twice a day. It makes a lot of sense and I’m looking forward to not seeing <snip> Tony Holohan pop up on my phone or my tv again. The whole thing is just tiresome at this stage.

The 10 month long obsession with daily cases isn’t doing anything for anyone and all it’s done/doing is making people obsessive with what’s going on. There’s absolutely nothing any of us can do about it so I suggest people start taking the same approach, just get on with things. This thing of “oh 100+ new cases in Waterford it’s going to get us”. If you’re at home and you’re doing what your supposed to be doing then it isn’t going to come and break down your door and infect you. Limit your contacts and cut out the negativity. As of tonight I’m ridding myself of anything that can lead me to finding out about any more doom and gloom.

People are bored and have sod all else to do except sit on their phones reading about Covid. Step away from it for a while and see how quickly things might improve in terms of your mental state.

Motivator wrote: »
    My wife and I were out for a walk today and met friends of ours. After 30 seconds of chit chat the conversation turned to Covid, our friends said they didn’t want to talk about it and their New Years resolution was to ban all talk of it in their house. They deleted the news apps from their phones and avoid the news. They don’t care about new cases or deaths as the news isn’t going to make a difference to them. They said they’ve not been as happy in months and my wife and I have decided to do the same. They’re staying at home and they’re just getting out for a walk once or twice a day. It makes a lot of sense and I’m looking forward to not seeing <snip> Tony Holohan pop up on my phone or my tv again. The whole thing is just tiresome at this stage.

The 10 month long obsession with daily cases isn’t doing anything for anyone and all it’s done/doing is making people obsessive with what’s going on. There’s absolutely nothing any of us can do about it so I suggest people start taking the same approach, just get on with things. This thing of “oh 100+ new cases in Waterford it’s going to get us”. If you’re at home and you’re doing what your supposed to be doing then it isn’t going to come and break down your door and infect you. Limit your contacts and cut out the negativity. As of tonight I’m ridding myself of anything that can lead me to finding out about any more doom and gloom.

People are bored and have sod all else to do except sit on their phones reading about Covid. Step away from it for a while and see how quickly things might improve in terms of your mental state.

And you came into a covid forum to tell us you are not going to read about covid.......

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

spookwoman wrote: »
    And you came into a covid forum to tell us you are not going to read about covid.......

And to call Tony Holohan a "scumbag".

Over to you and to how you'd manage the situation.

His decisions may be open to debate but his qualifications probably read a bit better than yours.

Holohan holds a diploma in healthcare management from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. He is a member of the Irish College of General Practitioners (MICGP) and is a Fellow of the Faculty of Public Health Medicine of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland.....

91wx763 wrote: »

His decisions may be open to debate but his qualifications probably read a bit better than yours.

Holohan holds a diploma in healthcare management from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. He is a member of the Irish College of General Practitioners (MICGP) and is a Fellow of the Faculty of Public Health Medicine of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland.....

A.P.B. to all the villages?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Motivator wrote:

What a fcuking disgraceful post, nphet have saved many lives because of their actions and advise, yes, too much news can and is harmful for your mental health, but to ignore it completely, that's a new level of ignorance. this situation is highly dynamic, we ve never experienced it before, we all must pay some level of attention to the advice, to be both physically and mentally well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Motivator wrote: »
    My wife and I were out for a walk today and met friends of ours. After 30 seconds of chit chat the conversation turned to Covid, our friends said they didn’t want to talk about it and their New Years resolution was to ban all talk of it in their house. They deleted the news apps from their phones and avoid the news. They don’t care about new cases or deaths as the news isn’t going to make a difference to them. They said they’ve not been as happy in months and my wife and I have decided to do the same. They’re staying at home and they’re just getting out for a walk once or twice a day. It makes a lot of sense and I’m looking forward to not seeing that self righteous scumbag Tony Holohan pop up on my phone or my tv again. The whole thing is just tiresome at this stage.

I’ve been doing this since late October and have felt so much better for it. I still log on here and a very small bit of Twitter also the news does come on the radio even though I exclusively listen to music stations. Highly recommend as a strategy as people’s mental health is getting hammered from over exposing themselves to too much doom and gloom media.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

Offensive wording towards anybody, a member or otherwise, will not be tolerated.

Please try express your opinion without being rude or abusive.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This guy?

https://extra.ie/2018/05/16/news/irish-news/tony-holohan-knew-of-cervical-check-memo

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20470821.html

faceman wrote: »
    His decisions may be open to debate

Indeed, but he is who we have.

Take a ticket and await your turn for the interviews to be his replacement.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Mod Note

There have been two bans issued in the last 24 hours, one for a week and another for a month, if people can’t be civil to one another then there will be more bans issued. I don’t want close the this thread over a few people who just seem to want to derail it. Let’s keep this tread going and if you see a post which you aren’t happy about, then just report it. Oh and reporting a user constantly because they have different views to you will continue to be ignored, unless the post or user is actually breaking some rule or posts something offensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Indeed, but he is who we have.

Take a ticket and await your turn for the interviews to be his replacement.

I don’t think I am the CMO the country could handle right now :p

I could name a number of replacements for him though that would bring greater credibility and transparency to the role. But let’s not go down that route as we will be way off topic.

Judging from the comments on the thread it would seem that fatigue is well and truly set in. I can’t see these restrictions having the desired effect and a lockdown till Easter is going to ravage the country economically, especially outside the major cities

faceman wrote: »
    I don’t think I am the CMO the country could handle right now :p

I could name a number of replacements for him though that would bring greater credibility and transparency to the role. But let’s not go down that route as we will be way off topic.

Judging from the comments on the thread it would seem that fatigue is well and truly set in. I can’t see these restrictions having the desired effect and a lockdown till Easter is going to ravage the country economically, especially outside the major cities

nothing stopping the government from doing more to protect the economy and businesses, they just wont

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    nothing stopping the government from doing more to protect the economy and businesses, they just wont

The only part of the economy that will flourish without even harder short term restrictions will be undertakers and grave diggers.

The only part of the economy that will flourish without even harder short term restrictions will be undertakers and grave diggers.

loads of sectors doing very well at the moment

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    loads of sectors doing very well at the moment

The sectors who are struggling and are almost crippled are retail, hospitality, bars, restaurants etc. They employ a large amount of people in the country. Unfortunately these sectors won't be opening any time soon.

It's a moot point but a certain proportion of the public are to blame for the current surge. We all have to accept individual responsibility. We can't complain or cry or argue with the restrictions.

Look back to last March/April where there was huge compliance with the restrictions. Almost everyone obeyed.
    On the 20th July there was 6 new cases announced nationally. Yes six. That's a measure of how well we tackled the virus. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if the Government had been a bit braver and ignored the vested interest lobby groups it could have almost eliminated the disease from these shores. It's only now 6 months later that strict travel regs in/out of the country are in place.

Meanwhile in lockdown 3 there's a lot of traffic about. People are moving more. So how can a person complain about the restrictions or the case numbers? The longer the lockdown lite persists, the longer the shops/pubs/restaurants/schools stay closed. At the current slow rate of case's decreasing it will be May before the numbers are low enough for Govt and NPHET. Regardless of how many people we have vaccinated by then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's nothing like as busy as it was before Christmas. But agree with the rest of what you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

This is not an airport, you don't need to announce your departure, just click the "x" in the top right hand corner. Bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

It's nothing like as busy as it was before Christmas. But agree with the rest of what you said.

Much quieter. And I've noticed that people I know who were very blase about the lockdown up to recently and were regularly ignoring it are now complying.

This is not an airport, you don't need to announce your departure, just click the "x" in the top right hand corner. Bye.

????

Taliking to yerself fella ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The sectors who are struggling and are almost crippled are retail, hospitality, bars, restaurants etc. They employ a large amount of people in the country. Unfortunately these sectors won't be opening any time soon.

It's a moot point but a certain proportion of the public are to blame for the current surge. We all have to accept individual responsibility. We can't complain or cry or argue with the restrictions.

Look back to last March/April where there was huge compliance with the restrictions. Almost everyone obeyed.
    On the 20th July there was 6 new cases announced nationally. Yes six. That's a measure of how well we tackled the virus. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if the Government had been a bit braver and ignored the vested interest lobby groups it could have almost eliminated the disease from these shores. It's only now 6 months later that strict travel regs in/out of the country are in place.

Meanwhile in lockdown 3 there's a lot of traffic about. People are moving more. So how can a person complain about the restrictions or the case numbers? The longer the lockdown lite persists, the longer the shops/pubs/restaurants/schools stay closed. At the current slow rate of case's decreasing it will be May before the numbers are low enough for Govt and NPHET. Regardless of how many people we have vaccinated by then.

But how could they have eliminated the disease from these shores long term when there are now several variants and a huge amount of travel from UK and South Africa since that point? They would have only eliminated it for a very brief period before it was brought in again.
    Dont forget as well there was a deafening silence from the government all last year about all the USA planes arriving in Ireland from a pandemic ravaged country, travelling up and down the whole country, infecting anyone they came into contact with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

With proper border control at the ports at least. Obviously NI is it's own problem and the crowd in charge up there wouldn't have found it possible to agree with each other never mind the Irish government to institute an all-Ireland approach but we could have at least done much better with everyone else's coming and going from the summer onwards.

With proper border control at the ports at least. Obviously NI is it's own problem and the crowd in charge up there wouldn't have found it possible to agree with each other never mind the Irish government to institute an all-Ireland approach but we could have at least done much better with everyone else's coming and going from the summer onwards.

The passenger locator system was never implemented properly, if the boat was late everyone got waved through, phone numbers weren't checked and even if you put a real one on it they could ring it and you could say I'm locked in a room for 14 days in Ballymagash and how would they check ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The passenger locator system was never implemented properly, if the boat was late everyone got waved through, phone numbers weren't checked and even if you out a real one on it they could ring it and you could say I'm locked in a room for 14 days in Ballymagash and how would they check ???

Never been waived through on the boat but checking coming off the boat was minimal as was the follow up.

It was an honor system and we know those never work in Ireland :mad:

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

No chance of it being open before then. In the papers today they were saying that hospitality/restaurants/hotels : Summer @ earliest; wet pubs sometime in the Autumn. HSE Chief on the radio yesterday said as majority of population won't be vaccinated till late Autumn it's highly likely that we will be living with restrictions for another year. Stark outlook for the foreseeable future. Well at least we know what lies ahead and can be realistic about things. They are looking for the schools to return this side of Paddy's Day, leaving certs first than a staggered return of other students. Probably gonna be no formal sit down exams if truth be told. The number of cases and ICU numbers will determine the scaling back of restrictions. Seems everyone in government is resigned to the cautious feet forward approach this time round after what happened at Christmas. Those lobby groups might as well accept the inevitable at this stage. We all have to sit tight. Get vaccinated. And hold our nerve.

Once group 3 get their second dose of the vaccine the country will start opening up ,there will be some form of restrictions for the year but everywhere id say will be open by the summer.

• Advertisement

Once group 3 get their second dose of the vaccine the country will start opening up ,there will be some form of restrictions for the year but everywhere id say will be open by the summer.

The so called wet pubs won't be open by the Summer for sure. They will be lucky to be open by Christmas.

Advertisement