Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

Gardaí are either up there or are on their way apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

What the hell is wrong with people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Gardaí are either up there or are on their way apparently.

Probably will be closed off from today they have done it in Wicklow already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

The stupidity of people. Try to practice social distancing only to end up congregating in the same places.

We laugh at the Darwin awards play on survival of the fittest, I think this one will be survival of the smartest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

People have to get out of the house but the danger is everyone is going to the same places causing this congestion

Some people grrr, same people promoting self isolation

Traffic backed up getting into Tramore and Dunmore too from videos on facebook ,people really don't listen unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Traffic backed up getting into Tramore and Dunmore too from videos on facebook ,people really don't listen unfortunately.

Quay was busy earlier with traffic coming from Kilkenny/Tipp etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So if there's one thing we now know - people have no imagination.

The combination of the weekend, Mother's Day (or as it should be dubbed Mother might kill you day) and the first decent warm sunny day since sometime in September has scrambled peoples brains.

That said you don't need to go to the beach for that - Lidl 9 AM a rush for the door, not open, milling about, door opens an attempt to pile in but because of the hand sanitiser stop just inside the inner door everyone has to come to a sudden halt, people back up and form a queue. Had they just waited a minute or two this wouldn't have happened,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Looks like sensible people are in the minority.
    Like a hermit in my free time, trying to not get/give this virus.
    If I get it it will be because I work with the public.

The people have been given the benefit of being asked to practice safe social distancing, and they've shown they're unable to do it.
    Now I think, they'll need to be told.

• Advertisement

Yep and it's a pity as it makes life that bit harder than would otherwise have been the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Mother's Day (or as it should be dubbed Mother might kill you day) and the first decent warm sunny day since sometime in September has scrambled peoples brains,

Mother might kill you day. Best laugh this week HP thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Waterford26

It wont be long until we are in full lockdown if people cant stay at home, scenes like this in the Comeraghs today and across the country will force the government to do it...

90494006_10156607840172202_2479643636849967104_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=c-QUCugKoQ4AX967bMP&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=eb34343b852c665f711bad16765e9171&oe=5E9C94BC

90490531_10156607840847202_3781203028879605760_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=W6hbk1rTJicAX-m7953&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=8bf09c2c14e75a1b40a998d759342fa7&oe=5E9E0CE7

90518026_10156607840957202_5212062093527744512_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=FnjIVHrHMlQAX8QiL-_&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=0d0f0c65a0c3c88c366f7f9ce6bf951f&oe=5E9C049A

90903780_10156607841417202_1711666719405113344_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=bn3-79l5BIYAX9xecGA&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-1.fna&oh=0c94c7c394fee09572f702ac4627a1c5&oe=5E9BE47A

https://www.facebook.com/TheMunsterExpress/videos/927325097706109/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARB89AsV0H2LLkBOaMenLDdM5s5tLim56GHObHpTYevbLqqrcrkpaONZAYqtzJzTFoHemqF4rXrrCJHM

Passed through this place 3hrs ago..madness..and sad too

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

I live in Dunmore East and, I brought my dogs for a walk at around 11am and people were already starting to pile up on the beach, in the park and down by the harbour. Kids running around everywhere like it's the summer hols. These people will be the cause of an actual lockdown and many more people being made unemployed. The selfishness of people is astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

How crowded is the peoples park these days. Would like to go for a walk at some stage during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    How crowded is the peoples park these days. Would like to go for a walk at some stage during the day

The Outer Ring Road was surprisingly emptier than usual today, if you were desperate for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

Minime2.5 wrote: »

Any time I've gone by it on the bus recently it has been fairly empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

People are inevitably looking to places like beaches and mountains to get fresh air and exercise. A very understandable mindset.

I found myself at a popular destination last weekend. Agreed to go there without considering how busy it would be. Saw the carpark was jammed and went to another similar location 15 mins away that was empty.

Just a little bit of creative thinking will go a long way, but social distancing does not mean barracking yourself inside for the foreseeable which some people seem to be advocating.

hardybuck wrote: »
    People are inevitably looking to places like beaches and mountains to get fresh air and exercise. A very understandable mindset.

I found myself at a popular destination last weekend. Agreed to go there without considering how busy it would be. Saw the carpark was jammed and went to another similar location 15 mins away that was empty.

Just a little bit of creative thinking will go a long way, but social distancing does not mean barracking yourself inside for the foreseeable which some people seem to be advocating.

You had the cop on to go somewhere else its those that don't are the ones that could be putting others at risk. As you said creative thinking and trawling of google maps helps

• Advertisement

Good to see McDonald's closing all their restaurants in the UK and Ireland from tomorrow ,the drive thru on the Cork road has been crazy all week with cars backed up all along the road..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

The new reality is you have to be prepared to abandon a trip and go back home or seek alternatives if a place is too busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    The new reality is you have to be prepared to abandon a trip and go back home or seek alternatives if a place is too busy.

It will be academic soon I'd say.

Fully-enforced lockdown is inevitable, same as other countries.

Idiots have proved they can't be trusted to behave responsibly to what are very simple instructions so have ruined it for everybody.

I went into a supermarket last Thursday and there were kids running round uncontrolled. I just left and went elsewhere, felt sorry for the staff putting up with it.

It will be academic soon I'd say.

Fully-enforced lockdown is inevitable, same as other countries.

Idiots have proved they can't be trusted to behave responsibly to what are very simple instructions so have ruined it for everybody.

I went into a supermarket last Thursday and there were kids running round uncontrolled. I just left and went elsewhere, felt sorry for the staff putting up with it.

One important factor in the above is that those countries implemented those measures when their numbers were untenable. Our numbers have gone down in recent days - but obviously this is subject to change.

The other important factor is that the likes of Italy and Spain have a very different setup in terms of army and police presence, and in terms of the density of their cities. For that reason I think persuading Irish people to comply is a much more effective method than trying to force them to.

Security in the supermarket limiting one person in at a time and no children at all might be a better solution to the issue you raised rather than the nation under house arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

I went out for a walk in Tramore early doors yesterday morning and was surprised at the amount of cars/ppl out there at 9.30am. That said the people who were there were practising social distancing (me included). It was a "sensible" crowd! However, on the the trip back in the road there was a lot of cars heading coastwards. Once you got to the Superquinn roundabout the traffic disappeared!

Its hard to know how the government will proceed. Other than Dublin/Cork the numbers of COVID positive cases in the other counties are relatively small. Perhaps this is informing Joe Public's decision for a Sunday drive, Saturday run or cycle. And then there was the weather turning all Spring for the past two Sundays after a couple of months of storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

One important factor in the above is that those countries implemented those measures when their numbers were untenable. Our numbers have gone down in recent days - but obviously this is subject to change.

The other important factor is that the likes of Italy and Spain have a very different setup in terms of army and police presence, and in terms of the density of their cities. For that reason I think persuading Irish people to comply is a much more effective method than trying to force them to.

Security in the supermarket limiting one person in at a time and no children at all might be a better solution to the issue you raised rather than the nation under house arrest.

The one thing we have to bear in mind here is that we've only tested c13,000 people so far, and also that the results are taking 4-5 days to come back.

So it would be safe, I'm sure, to assume that the figure of over 900 positive is not based on the 13,000 tests. Therefore our percentage of positive results is fairly high so far.

If you factor in that there is 40,000 and rising waiting for tests to be carried out this week, you can be sure that the figures are going to rocket.

This on top of others they have come into contact with those since.

jimbojazz wrote: »
    The one thing we have to bear in mind here is that we've only tested c13,000 people so far, and also that the results are taking 4-5 days to come back.

So it would be safe, I'm sure, to assume that the figure of over 900 positive is not based on the 13,000 tests. Therefore our percentage of positive results is fairly high so far.

If you factor in that there is 40,000 and rising waiting for tests to be carried out this week, you can be sure that the figures are going to rocket.

Agreed, but you'll find that we'll be dealing with this for months. I think this exercise is to avoid a skyrocketing of numbers that will overwhelm the health service while they're scaling up for this.

New facilities are being built and more people are being mobilised to deal with this issue, and this will be for the long haul until a vaccine arrives.

The economy will not shut down for six months months. Those who are vulnerable will be cocooned and the rest of us will be back into work over the summer and asked to respect social distancing wherever possible.

jimbojazz wrote: »

28th Feb was our first recorded case. Holohan yesterday said "Cases confirmed today were most likely exposed to COVID-19 prior to the introduction of the public health measures implemented on Friday, 13 Mar"
    29th to 13th is 14 days and another 9 days to the 22nd.
    If reports from people says they are waiting nearly 9 days for a test is true then god knows what numbers are like now if we are 3 weeks behind Italy

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1242048833279995905?s=20

• Advertisement

I'll just throw this in here for those who patronise GrowHQ restaurant which is now doing a take out by prepaid arrangement. With all the in house courses and eating now ended they need all the sales they can get I imagine and healthier than a Big Mac (if you could get one ;)).

https://twitter.com/Grow_HQ/status/1241410326417027072

details here -

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETpf9PhXkAEzCxA?format=jpg&name=small

Advertisement