Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Gael23 wrote: »
    Are they doing checkpoints? I’m here in my parents house but in about another week I will need to travel to my own place in Dublin to pick up clothing and medicines.

Your not going to have any problems doing that don't worry.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

So people are still driving out to tramore to go for a walk. Gardaí are stopping them on the tramore Rd.
    What is wrong with people!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

deise08 wrote: »
    So people are still driving out to tramore to go for a walk. Gardaí are stopping them on the tramore Rd.
    What is wrong with people!?

I'm following the rules but it doesn't make sense to ask people to exercise within 2km of your home, which could be in a very built up area, and not allow them to go to an open air facility that could be very quiet.

An idiot jogger was blowing hard as they struggled way too closely past me on a footpath the other day and I was disgusted.

I suppose this goes back to people flocking to these places trying to do the right thing.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I'm following the rules but it doesn't make sense to ask people to exercise within 2km of your home, which could be in a very built up area, and not allow them to go to an open air facility that could be very quiet.

An idiot jogger was blowing hard as they struggled way too closely past me on a footpath the other day and I was disgusted.

I suppose this goes back to people flocking to these places trying to do the right thing.

So the cure for avoiding a built up area is to go to Tramore along with all the other brainboxes looking to avoid a built up area...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It makes perfect sense, one thing has been proven over the past two weeks. People can't be trusted to make the right and safest decisions.

Outside of Tramore I've been watching South East Mountain Rescue and they've had a tonne of callouts the past 10 days because of idiots going for walks in "quiet areas".

At the end of the day the 2km limit is for the greater good, ignoring it is selfish as f**k.

I think its time for Gardai to impose fines on people when they are caught trying to drive to Tramore to go for walks etc. Hit people where it hurts now to safe them from themselves and the loose of a loved one further down the line!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Your not going to have any problems doing that don't worry.

Are you actually sure about that?

https://twitter.com/susankeoghnews/status/1244194148103729153

So the cure for avoiding a built up area is to go to Tramore along with all the other brainboxes looking to avoid a built up area...

No. There has been a well flagged issue of lemmings going to the same places.

But now sensible people can't make sensible movements due to the behaviour of idiots.

Are they doing checkpoints? I’m here in my parents house but in about another week I will need to travel to my own place in Dublin to pick up clothing and medicines.

You had to attend to vital family matters at the family home and are traveling back to your home address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Not quite sure where you were driving, but I went from ferrybank over to town around 10am and ferrybank over to cork road at 3pm and on both occasions, I passed at least 2 squad cars and when going through town I saw a number guards on the beat, including two walking along the dual carriageway in ferrybank.

I also saw pictures of a checkpoint on the dunmore and tramore roads along with footage on rte news of squad cars out in tramore.

It wasnt around Waterford City anyway. I think it is the likes of Tramore, Dumore and any attractions is where the Gardai will be visible and all other routes will be fine.

I would nearly bet you wont meet many checkpoints until perhaps you reach Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

No. There has been a well flagged issue of lemmings going to the same places.

But now sensible people can't make sensible movements due to the behaviour of idiots.[/quote

There's is alot of people now going out for walks to tramore that never went for a walk before in there lives.
    There's people now that rarely done social things leaving there house just because they've been asked nit too. A lot of people just don't like being told what to do. Forget the 2km just stay at home people as much as is humanly possible. A mars bar from the shop with your tea is not an essential thing. 1st world problems are going to see a lot of us die fir no real reason.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

alta stare wrote: »
    It wasnt around Waterford City anyway. I think it is the likes of Tramore, Dumore and any attractions is where the Gardai will be visible and all other routes will be fine.

Out for a walk there just now and guards have a checkpoint in ferrybank and a number of members are on the beat around there also. I also spoke to a member of staff in Aldi and they told me that the guards visited them twice today and inspected the shop on both occasions to ensure social distancing was being adhered to.

Out for a walk there just now and guards have a checkpoint in ferrybank and a number of members are on the beat around there also. I also spoke to a member of staff in Aldi and they told me that the guards visited them twice today and inspected the shop on both occasions to ensure social distancing was being adhered to.

And if social distancing wasnt being adhered to what were the Gardai going to do? It's not like they can go around arresting and fining people out doing their shopping. Didnt they say on the news the other day that they dont have the powers to do so and that they are going under the public order act at the moment. Surely their visits to the likes of Aldi is to ensure people's safety from the fools out panic buying.

I accept them closing down places where idiots were flocking to but this notion that they can haul you up when out and about is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

And if social distancing wasnt being adhered to what were the Gardai going to do? It's not like they can go around arresting and fining people out doing their shopping. Didnt they say on the news the other day that they dont have the powers to do so and that they are going under the public order act at the moment. Surely their visits to the likes of Aldi is to ensure people's safety from the fools out panic buying.

I accept them closing down places where idiots were flocking to but this notion that they can haul you up when out and about is nonsense.

The legislation has passed and is about to become law.

JohnC. wrote: »
    The legislation has passed and is about to become law.

But isnt law yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

They can just tell people , remind people of the safe thing to do. What's wrong with that ? Little reminder. There presence alone should remind people to be safe. I don't get why you feel them arresting people and fining them is what's needed or that there only any good if they can do that. Most people still respect the guards and act accordingly when advised by them.

debok wrote: »
    They can just tell people , remind people of the safe thing to do. What's wrong with that ? Little reminder. There presence alone should remind people to be safe. I don't get why you feel them arresting people and fining them is what's needed or that there only any good if they can do that. Most people still respect the guards and act accordingly when advised by them.

I agree with them reminding people to do the right thing and i hope they keep people in check whenever they is any sign of panic. I also agree with them breaking up big groups. I just find the scaremongering going on via social media and mainstream media about the Gardai's presence is over the top.

I also never said Gardai should be arresting or fining people i think you mis read my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dunphys is open

Reckon that place would survive the end of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The 2km rule would also make it easier to track and trace, jesus that sounds like an post, infections if people are infecting others while out walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Dunphys is open

There are a good few small shops still open, including that little shop on the Upper Yellow Road, before the roundabout. Makes me laugh when I saw the sign there about no more than 4 in the shop- that place is packed so tightly in you cant fit 2 in there in normal circumstances! He really needs to either extend the shop or put more stuff behind the counter, you cant swing a cat in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,420 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dunphys is open

some say chuck norris was born there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yeah I would be absolutely astonished, pics or it didn't happen territory if someone tells a Garda (if stopped) that they are on their way to collect clothes and medicine before heading back to the parents house and the Garda does anything but say, beat of luck.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Reckon it could be mayhem when the pubs/clubs/bars open up again. Very busy nights

Hopefully sooner rather than later

• Registered Users Posts: 29,420 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Reckon it could be mayhem when the pubs/clubs/bars open up again. Very busy nights

Hopefully sooner rather than later

could be dead if the economy is in the ****ter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Mightn't be any harm if some of them didn't open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bluess99

Hi Guys, know this is a very long shot but I am at high risk and have run out of gloves and face mask, anyone know where I could get more ???

bluess99 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, know this is a very long shot but I am at high risk and have run out of gloves and face mask, anyone know where I could get more ???

Autofactors,if any open

Though a long shot a farm supply store,people wear em for milking

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

bluess99 wrote: »

My partner got some gloves from Tesco polberry last week just for washing dishes, I don’t think you could get masks anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    could be dead if the economy is in the ****ter

I pretty much disagree on this.

It is not the comparable to the great recession in really any terms other than now being categorised as recession.

The IMF, ECB, the fed etc. will be in full recovery stimulus mode, because the economy this time isn't inherently broken. There is an entirely non-economic shock that is causing the temporary cessation of work. It will not result in tightening of credit controls or the raising of interest rates, both would be counter productive. Credit will remain cheap and accessible afterwards, capital projects will likely be ramped up if anything. The lions share of jobs that are now inactive will return. Most governments are already stepping in to cover the loss, it may only be partial but it will tend to be enough. I have no doubt there will be families where this is a complete economic disaster, it's absolutely dreadful, but I think this one-track mind way of economic thinking is too much.

Advertisement