Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

bluess99 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, know this is a very long shot but I am at high risk and have run out of gloves and face mask, anyone know where I could get more ???

They had them in woodpecker fuels last week. I think they were 4.50 a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

mayordenis wrote: »
    I pretty much disagree on this.

It is not the comparable to the great recession in really any terms other than now being categorised as recession.

The IMF, ECB, the fed etc. will be in full recovery stimulus mode, because the economy this time isn't inherently broken. There is an entirely non-economic shock that is causing the temporary cessation of work. It will not result in tightening of credit controls or the raising of interest rates, both would be counter productive. Credit will remain cheap and accessible afterwards, capital projects will likely be ramped up if anything. The lions share of jobs that are now inactive will return. Most governments are already stepping in to cover the loss, it may only be partial but it will tend to be enough. I have no doubt there will be families where this is a complete economic disaster, it's absolutely dreadful, but I think this one-track mind way of economic thinking is too much.

Wait for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

bluess99 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, know this is a very long shot but I am at high risk and have run out of gloves and face mask, anyone know where I could get more ???

Saw a sign earlier in the chemist next to WLR that they were selling masks for €2.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

A nurse’s view on the use of masks and gloves

B5-E2-D6-C1-D05-E-432-E-AFEE-5-A10-E235-B7-E3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Looks like one of those whats app messages..... signed Nurse Spookwoman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

azimuth17 wrote: »
    B&L is a health care industry manufacturing contact lenses which may be vital to thousands and hundreds of thousands of people in the healthcare front line and health care industry worldwide. The fact they have stock is neither here nor there. This post is utterly silly and sounds like some schoolchild looking for a day off.

What a crass assumption and response.Contact lenses are not vital to hundreds of thousands,they are a cosmetic product.To claim that the post is silly and a ploy for someone to get a day off work shows how insensitive you are to people whom have to work in an environment that is not wholly designed for social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Good to know that being able to see properly is merely
    cosmetic now.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Good to know that being able to see properly is merely
    cosmetic now.

Could you not wear glasses?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Hi all,

In to be induced and birthing partners are allowed into delivery suite only!

That’s the case in Waterford just to update anyone who wanted to know :)

niallo76 wrote: »
    Could you not wear glasses?

How are they any more or less cosmetic? And where would you get them now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,420 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Pocos wrote:

Best of luck

How are they any more or less cosmetic? And where would you get them now?

Why couldn't you get them??

Pocos wrote: »
    Hi all,

That’s the case in Waterford just to update anyone who wanted to know :)

All the very best to ye..

niallo76 wrote: »
    Why couldn't you get them??

Have you had a look outside lately?

spookwoman wrote: »
    Looks like one of those whats app messages..... signed Nurse Spookwoman

Maybe or maybe not, but the points that are made seem to be valid ok. It’s a known fact that gloves will spread the disease more than someone who just washes their hands more regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Have you had a look outside lately?

Pharmacies are still open and won't be closing,and contacts can be bought online if you need them, there is no shortage of contact lens in the world and there never will be.

Pharmacies are still open and won't be closing,and contacts can be bought online if you need them, there is no shortage of contact lens in the world and there never will be.

I’m not talking about a shortage of contacts. I’m replying to niallo claiming they are only cosmetic so the factory should be shut down.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Maybe or maybe not, but the points that are made seem to be valid ok. It’s a known fact that gloves will spread the disease more than someone who just washes their hands more regularly.

That's assuming everyone does not follow proper procedures. Lot of people are very careful when it comes to wearing gloves. The few people I have seen wearing gloves are not wearing the surgical type so would be of no use to Nurse Nancy.
    The public is not hoarding 100's of 1,000's of kit and TBH it's not the publics fault there is a shortage of PPE. The government was slow to to order gear and now that the proverbial sh*t has hit the fan they are having to scrounge and wait in line like everyone else in the world. If the "doomsayers" had the cop on and know how to order a few bits while this was still brewing in china fair f*cks to them.
    But at the end of the day it's none of anyone's business to tell someone else if they should wear gloves or not wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Will you stop for Heaven's sake. Surgical mask, surgical gowns and surgical gloves were never in short supply up to a month ago and they could be bought on line. Contact lenses from B&L ( i have nothing to do with the company) are a necessary part of many people's lives. They choose them over glasses and the silly judgement elsewhere, that contacts are "cosmetic" is offensive. The company is an internationally recognised healthcare company whether some people it or not.

B&L have offered employees a month off but the hours will have to be paid back at some point in the future. Apparently there's a clause in there that if you take the month off and contract Coronavirus you won't be covered by a sick cert and will have to work the hours back in anyway.

• Advertisement

B&L have offered employees a month off but the hours will have to be paid back at some point in the future. Apparently there's a clause in there that if you take the month off and contract Coronavirus you won't be covered by a sick cert and will have to work the hours back in anyway.

thats nice of them, fair play to them

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    thats nice of them, fair play to them

It’s at the companies discretion and only a certain amount can avail of it. For those that were to avail of this, 156 hours is certainly a lot of hours to try and work in, especially considering they would need to be worked in at times outside of their normal shifts which if work was available would be then paid at either time and a half or double time. So it becomes a win win for the company.

It’s at the companies discretion and only a certain amount can avail of it. For those that were to avail of this, 156 hours is certainly a lot of hours to try and work in, especially considering they would need to be worked in at times outside of their normal shifts which if work was available would be then paid at either time and a half or double time. So it becomes a win win for the company.

company profits must be protected at all costs, this wealth eventually trickles down, apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Devil's advocate here.
    Surely when they're telling people not to be touching eyes, nose and mouth, contacts would be a big no nó.

deise08 wrote: »
    Devil's advocate here.
    Surely when they're telling people not to be touching eyes, nose and mouth, contacts would be a big no nó.

Very good point actually,hadnt even taught of that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I wonder how many businesses and shops will actually open again when all this has passed on? I always wondered how some shops are so confident about opening again no matter how long the crisis lasts, while others will tank with no business and huge rents.

There was a guy with a pub down in Cork recently saying "Im not worried about me but its others i feel sorry for". It must be shops that are owned outright or have an in built audience that can confidently say they will open again.

I wonder how many businesses and shops will actually open again when all this has passed on? I always wondered how some shops are so confident about opening again no matter how long the crisis lasts, while others will tank with no business and huge rents.

There was a guy with a pub down in Cork recently saying "Im not worried about me but its others i feel sorry for". It must be shops that are owned outright or have an in built audience that can confidently say they will open again.

I'd say a lot of the higher end ones will close people won't have the money to spend on expensive items.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

spookwoman wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of the higher end ones will close people won't have the money to spend on expensive items.

Waterford should be fine so!

Anyone who has to work back in the TFT won't be getting paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

deise08 wrote: »
    Devil's advocate here.
    Wash your hands well beforehand and you will be fine.

Advertisement