Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Turns out the Range is open for some reason.

https://twitter.com/bonjo7/status/1246885488163794950

another fella with too much time on his hands

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Gardner wrote: »
    another fella with too much time on his hands

It gets sickening quickly, a modern day version of the peelers lapdog!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Everyone has too much time on their hands with this lockdown

49 cases now confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Are there still any people in Waterford who have the virus in intensive care in hospital or are the cases less severe and they are isolating?

• Advertisement

Are there still any people in Waterford who have the virus in intensive care in hospital or are the cases less severe and they are isolating?

More chance of finding the holy grail than getting that info

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

spookwoman wrote: »
    More chance of finding the holy grail than getting that info

To be fair, knowing the information or not has no impact on a person's day to day life.

I have reason to believe the number in hospideal is 12

Im unsure if that includes ICUs

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭whats_happenin

Yesterday s shows 2 people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Let’s hope that no outsiders come in to their second homes/ caravan homes this weekend, it’s crucial these ppl don’t travel cause it carries and infects places that have their own infections to deal with and anyone that travels is dangerous cause they are brainless in the first place to be thinking of travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

Is it just me or does there seem to be more people on the move over the last few days?

I work in essential services and have to travel between Waterford & Tramore daily. I am noticing an increase in people walking and cycling on the Tramore Road. I have to say, its mostly been cyclists or walkers on their own and not large groups.

If people (who I fully understand must be going stir crazy at this stage) start to disregard the advice of the authorities will it take us longer to come out of the so called lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Is it just me or does there seem to be more people on the move over the last few days?

I work in essential services and have to travel between Waterford & Tramore daily. I am noticing an increase in people walking and cycling on the Tramore Road. I have to say, its mostly been cyclists or walkers on their own.

If people (who I fully understand must be going stir crazy at this stage) start to disregard the advice of the authorities will it take us longer to come out of the so called lockdown?

If they are living within a 2km radius of the area then they are not disregarding advice. Based on the numbers your seeing is it reasonable they are all living in the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I went out but not far (honest!) within town yesterday and it was surprisingly busy but it was the car traffic rather than pedestrians/runners/cyclists.

A bit of me thinks the Powers That Be would be wise to have a day when more movement to a given place is sanctioned and policed and then be very tough the rest of the time, if the shutdown is extended by another two weeks I can see it starting to crumble round the edges with the potential of a chaotic free-for-all which cannot be controlled at all.

Sprites wrote: »
    If they are living within a 2km radius of the area then they are not disregarding advice. Based on the numbers your seeing is it reasonable they are all living in the area?

I knew that would be a response, without stopping them all and asking them, which I have no authority to do, it would be probable that some may in fact be living within 2km radius but people being people and all that.

And also the fact that I recognise some of them who live in the City cycling by Applegreen in Tramore on the way back into the City might counter the 2km argument.

I knew that would be a response, without stopping them all and asking them, which I have no authority to do, it would be probable that some may in fact be living within 2km radius but people being people and all that.

And also the fact that I recognise some of them who live in the City cycling by Applegreen in Tramore on the way back into the City might counter the 2km argument.

I'm not "arguing" with anyone, just pointing out that we aren't actually prohibited from going outside altogether.

I also asked if it was reasonable that the numbers you had witnessed were indeed living within 2km, not expecting you to stop people and enquire.

Now if you had included in your post that you had for a fact seen people who don't live in the area your observation would have been more informative and indicative of people indeed disregarding advice!

Sprites wrote: »
    I'm not "arguing" with anyone, just pointing out that we aren't actually prohibited from going outside altogether.

I also asked if it was reasonable that the numbers you had witnessed were indeed living within 2km, not expecting you to stop people and enquire.

Now if you had included in your post that you had for a fact seen people who don't live in the area your observation would have been more informative and indicative of people indeed disregarding advice!

Thanks Sprites, you are right, I could have worded my post a bit better to make it more informative.

The key point in my post is that if we, and I include myself in that start to get lax and disregard the advice of the authorities, then will it take the country longer to get back to some kind of reality, I won't use the word normality because I believe there will be a new normal after this Covid-19 outbreak is brought under control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If you are on the Tramore Road between the ring road and Top Oil (?) Garage on the edge of Tramore you're are probably more than 2 KM from your address it's fair to say.

Thanks Sprites, you are right, I could have worded my post a bit better to make it more informative.

The key point in my post is that if we, and I include myself in that start to get lax and disregard the advice of the authorities, then will it take the country longer to get back to some kind of reality, I won't use the word normality because I believe there will be a new normal after this Covid-19 outbreak is brought under control.

Absolutely, its worrying that people are not following what I would see are pretty reasonable demands given the gravity of the situation.

Are people not comprehending the consequences or just burying their heads in the sand I wonder??

Will be interesting to see what the lasting impact on society will be of all of this...

52 now in waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I work in essential services and have to travel between Waterford & Tramore daily. I am noticing an increase in people walking and cycling on the Tramore Road. I have to say, its mostly been cyclists or walkers on their own and not large groups.

Plenty of cyclists with all the gear on them still around the place they could be within the 2km distance who knows , i've been on a small section of the greenway a couple of times and it's full of cyclists and joggers who definitely are not within the 2km distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Plenty of cyclists with all the gear on them still around the place they could be within the 2km distance who knows , i've been on a small section of the greenway a couple of times and it's full of cyclists and joggers who definitely are not within the 2km distance.

To be fair the whole 2km concept is a bit stupid anyway. A person could easily walk/cycle/run alot further and not come into contact with anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Few around the quay/Viking triangle today

Cabin fever and frustration of this whole thing starting to set in now but a lot of people in a worse state

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

alta stare wrote: »
    To be fair the whole 2km concept is a bit stupid anyway. A person could easily walk/cycle/run alot further and not come into contact with anyone else.

Indeed,
    lots of people previously went up mountains and into woods, not near anyone you'd argue. Not doing anyone any harm, right?

Not so, the likes of South East mountain rescue saw a surge in callouts, so they had to put their lives at risk.

It's not stupid, it's needed because too many people are fecken idiots. Selfish idiots at that, who think it's grand to use time off as a holiday to see the sights.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Indeed,
    lots of people previously went up mountains and into woods, not near anyone you'd argue. Not doing anyone any harm, right?

Not so, the likes of South East mountain rescue saw a surge in callouts, so they had to put their lives at risk.

It's not stupid, it's needed because too many people are fecken idiots. Selfish idiots at that, who think it's grand to use time off as a holiday to see the sights.

Lots of people went loads of places. The issue is the amount of people going to the same place.

Most people who get caught up a mountain and need rescuing are people who go up without a bulls notion on how to navigate over a mountain. This type of thing happens all year round and not just during this crisis so your point is mute. I happen to hike alot myself so i know the score.

The 2km limit is stupid. It doesnt work for the reason that there is no way to enforce it. People are out walking/running/cycling and many are going beyond the 2km limit and it can be done so without coming across lots of people.

I 100% agree with all popular hotspots being targeted and this is where all focus should be and to be fair has been.

I drive quite a bit and just once iv hit a checkpoint where i was left through no problem. The problem for the cops is that they cannot police every road so if they prevent somebody from passing through a checkpoint then that person can just take an alternative route which is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

I think more ppl are realising that hey we can go out for a walk and realising the whole radius thing actually entities them to a bigger walk but the social distancing can still work in regards to that. I’m guilty aswell of trying to police it in my head too. We can do so much within the lockdown criteria so we’re not in full lockdown mode and that takes a while to understand too. Plus the weather improves but I do say I’ve seen a lot more cars then I was expecting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Lots of people went loads of places. The issue is the amount of people going to the same place.

Most people who get caught up a mountain and need rescuing are people who go up without a bulls notion on how to navigate over a mountain. This type of thing happens all year round and not just during this crisis so your point is mute. I happen to hike alot myself so i know the score.

The 2km limit is stupid. It doesnt work for the reason that there is no way to enforce it. People are out walking/running/cycling and many are going beyond the 2km limit and it can be done so without coming across lots of people.

I 100% agree with all popular hotspots being targeted and this is where all focus should be and to be fair has been.

I drive quite a bit and just once iv hit a checkpoint where i was left through no problem. The problem for the cops is that they cannot police every road so if they prevent somebody from passing through a checkpoint then that person can just take an alternative route which is going to happen.

Just because lots of people go to loads of places and the Guards cannot police it is not evidence the 2km limit is stupid. It is a demonstration of selfishness and stupidity. Italy and Spain did not take these steps in time and look what happened to them. Neither did the UK and they had the highest death toll in a single day of any country yesterday.

BBM77 wrote: »
    Just because lots of people go to loads of places and the Guards cannot police it is not evidence the 2km limit is stupid. It is a demonstration of selfishness and stupidity. Italy and Spain did not take these steps in time and look what happened to them. Neither did the UK and they had the highest death toll in a single day of any country yesterday.

So if a person lives rural they should not go beyond the 2km limit? Even if a person goes for a walk in an urban area they should not go beyond the 2km limit? Tell me why it is bad if they do such a thing even when they stay away from other people which is amazingly quite an easy thing to do.

Iv already said they need to focus on blitzing the popular spots as that is where the build up of people will cause issues. People can avoid contact even though inside and outside 2km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

So if a person lives rural they should not go beyond the 2km limit? Even if a person goes for a walk in an urban area they should not go beyond the 2km limit? Tell me why it is bad if they do such a thing even when they stay away from other people which is amazingly quite an easy thing to do.

Iv already said they need to focus on blitzing the popular spots as that is where the build up of people will cause issues. People can avoid contact even though inside and outside 2km.

The longer people keep thinking like yourself,the longer the restrictions will remain.

It's not hard to understand,dont go outside of a 2km radius of your house to exercise,doesn't matter where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

I was gonna say that I had'nt seen a Garda anywhere *but* they were on the Bridge yesterday evening and again this morning checking. About time too FFS. Especially with the upturn in the weather. Saying that a fella said to me there's backroads to everywhere and it's so true. If you want to get to Tramore everyone in Waterford knows of a handful of options. Not that Im going to be venturing out there.

OP's have mentioned the fact that there is possible cabin fever setting in amongst some folk and I would agree. Personally I am still in work Mon-Fri so the routine is much the same. However if you have been in lockdown for a while there is only so much TV you can watch or books to read. Looking out at blue skies and sun must be tempting. Especially if you or any of your family is of the active variety be it running, cycling or any other sport. Must be tough. Aside from the dangers associated with COVID-19 the emotional/mental baggage will be immense on a lot of families {kids @ home, all bunkered down, possible job loss, reduction of income etc}.

The truth is that the lockdown is going to be extended come the weekend. The Govt will go for another 2 week period so not to spook the general public but the reality is, and being optimistic here, is gonna run to at least the start of June at the earliest with mid Summer being a more realistic date. So we are facing another 2/3 months of restrictions. Sod's or Murphy's Law dictates that we are bound to have a scorcher of a Summer! You know it's true!

• Advertisement

Just drove from Ferrybank over the bridge (for a hospital appointment before anyone lynches me!!) and Gardai stopping everyone going over the bridge to ask where they are headed. Took 20 mins plus to get from the dual carriageway over the bridge.

The thing is, would people not just say "heading to Dunnes/Tesco/Supervalu and they're allowed to continue?? What can the Gardai say to that?

Advertisement