Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Sprites wrote: »
    Just drove from Ferrybank over the bridge (for a hospital appointment before anyone lynches me!!) and Gardai stopping everyone going over the bridge to ask where they are headed. Took 20 mins plus to get from the dual carriageway over the bridge.

The thing is, would people not just say "heading to Dunnes/Tesco/Supervalu and they're allowed to continue?? What can the Gardai say to that?

I'd say most people would use that line alright. They were there since early this morning when I was crossing over. Probably just adding to the nuisance value of a journey if you know you were gonna be stuck in traffic you probably wouldnt bother. With the new Garda powers this will be a permanent thing. Especially with the good weather. I dont think I would be alarmist is saying that if the general public dosent co-operate than the army could be drafted in just for the optical illusion it would provide. That might people sit up and notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They were out at least twice last week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Just drove from Dublin , stopped 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

alta stare wrote: »
    So if a person lives rural they should not go beyond the 2km limit? Even if a person goes for a walk in an urban area they should not go beyond the 2km limit? Tell me why it is bad if they do such a thing even when they stay away from other people which is amazingly quite an easy thing to do.

Iv already said they need to focus on blitzing the popular spots as that is where the build up of people will cause issues. People can avoid contact even though inside and outside 2km.

So if a person lives rural they should not go beyond the 2km limit?

I did not say that and it is not part of the restrictions which you know.
    Even if a person goes for a walk in an urban area they should not go beyond the 2km limit? Tell me why it is bad if they do such a thing even when they stay away from other people which is amazingly quite an easy thing to do.

It is not rocket science it is to limit the spread. If someone has COVID-19 and is asymptomatic with the 2km limit they can only spread it within the 2km radius. If they had free movement they could spread it over a much larger area even to places that does not have any current cases and on and on it spreads. Social distancing is not always possible when out and about also if you don’t know you have COVID-19 you tend to get lacks with the precautions.

This strategy has been shown to work in other countries, although frustrating, I don’t get what is so hard to grasp about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

There are checkpoints on all routes leading into Tramore*

Stay away!!!!

may be a lie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Debenhams going to close permanently with the loss of 2000 jobs across Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

BBM77 wrote: »
    I did not say that and it is not part of the restrictions which you know.

It is not rocket science it is to limit the spread. If someone has COVID-19 and is asymptomatic with the 2km limit they can only spread it within the 2km radius. If they had free movement they could spread it over a much larger area even to places that does not have any current cases and on and on it spreads. Social distancing is not always possible when out and about also if you don’t know you have COVID-19 you tend to get lacks with the precautions.

This strategy has been shown to work in other countries, although frustrating, I don’t get what is so hard to grasp about it.

I agree with the sentiment of the 2km limit. My point is that it is a bit stupid due to the many ways people can move around. There is a general consensus out there that the Gardai can stop us from doing this and this simply isnt true. They do not have the capability to stop everyone from moving around. A prime example of this is them asking where are you going...everyone just says the shops....and they let you through.

Any mention of being more than 2km from the house and some people loose their minds...im not saying you are one of those but it is becoming increasingly silly the way people are carrying on.

If i want to walk the quiet route i take when i go for a walk i will as guess what... it is quiet. It takes me 6km from the house and id probably pass 5 people on the opposite side of the road so it is fine. You cannot spread a virus if you do not congregate with groups of people. You're more at risk going shopping than you are when out for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,421 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

What's the best times to head to aldi, to avoid much of the madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Afternoons are genuinely fine, plenty of room and most shops the madness is quelled by decent queuing in and outta the shop.

alta stare wrote: »
    I agree with the sentiment of the 2km limit. My point is that it is a bit stupid due to the many ways people can move around. There is a general consensus out there that the Gardai can stop us from doing this and this simply isnt true. They do not have the capability to stop everyone from moving around. A prime example of this is them asking where are you going...everyone just says the shops....and they let you through.

Any mention of being more than 2km from the house and some people loose their minds...im not saying you are one of those but it is becoming increasingly silly the way people are carrying on.

If i want to walk the quiet route i take when i go for a walk i will as guess what... it is quiet. It takes me 6km from the house and id probably pass 5 people on the opposite side of the road so it is fine. You cannot spread a virus if you do not congregate with groups of people. You're more at risk going shopping than you are when out for a walk.

Cycling is my main exercise, just go walking at the moment. Must admit it did cross my mind that my social distancing was far better when cycling even though I went much further than 2km.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Not being smart, but if they don’t have a queuing system for when the number of customers reach a point were social distancing is not possible, that shop is best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Chiparus wrote: »
    Just drove from Dublin , stopped 3 times.

Are they on the M9 motorway?

Debenhams going to close permanently with the loss of 2000 jobs across Ireland.

Staff are lovely in the Waterford and Dublin stores. Very sorry to hear this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

With the new Garda powers this will be a permanent thing.

That is completely false. These powers expire this Sunday the 12th.

They can be brought back in under extraordinary circumstances. This is not permanent. Relax your imagination please.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd say most people would use that line alright. They were there since early this morning when I was crossing over. Probably just adding to the nuisance value of a journey if you know you were gonna be stuck in traffic you probably wouldnt bother. With the new Garda powers this will be a permanent thing. Especially with the good weather.

Nope, won't be permanent.
    Just a temp reminder to get idiots to cop the feck on

I dont think I would be alarmist is saying that if the general public dosent co-operate than the army could be drafted in just for the optical illusion it would provide. That might people sit up and notice.

and yet you are being alarmist....whats next, if people don't obey the army they'll be shot?
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is it worth pointing out that the WWN twitter feed is a parody?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

spookwoman wrote: »
    52 now in waterford

BBM77 wrote: »
    Cycling is my main exercise, just go walking at the moment. Must admit it did cross my mind that my social distancing was far better when cycling even though I went much further than 2km.

Surely you feel it is no problem to go out cycling? I wish i had a bike. What a good way to self isolate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

areas like Ballybricken Green, The Park and other large areas with a green are going to be packed with the good weather. I live in the city so im grand for walks like the quay, up to Cleaboy etc

Id murder for a pub to be open, only so many cans in the house a person can toloate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

PTH2009 wrote: »
    areas like Ballybricken Green, The Park and other large areas with a green are going to be packed with the good weather. I live in the city so im grand for walks like the quay, up to Cleaboy etc

Id murder for a pub to be open, only so many cans in the house a person can toloate :D

The council have said that all outdoor amenities are closed for the weekend i would assume that includes the people's park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

The council have said that all outdoor amenities are closed for the weekend i would assume that includes the people's park

Plenty in there today when I was passing.....

Plenty in there today when I was passing.....

They have this on their facebook

93233780_10157285890024423_753052825214255104_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=xSClBbJNFhoAX-fG_VV&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=357fe54366c79fec5e30b22637151c59&oe=5EB4A7F9

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

They have this on their facebook

93233780_10157285890024423_753052825214255104_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=xSClBbJNFhoAX-fG_VV&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=357fe54366c79fec5e30b22637151c59&oe=5EB4A7F9

They should lock the entrances , I passed around 11.30 and 1.30 today and there were quite a few there both times. Not too many to make social distancing impossible by any means but there were plenty walking, jogging, sitting at picnic benches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

They should lock the entrances , I passed around 11.30 and 1.30 today and there were quite a few there both times. Not too many to make social distancing impossible by any means but there were plenty walking, jogging, sitting at picnic benches etc.

Cops eventually had to come in and close the skate park and the kids playgrounds. Ppl area genuinely . What part don’t they understand, it’s ridiculous this far into it.

Cops eventually had to come in and close the skate park and the kids playgrounds. Ppl area genuinely . What part don’t they understand, it’s ridiculous this far into it.

I passed Tuesday evening and there was 3 squad cars outside with a lot of guards in the skatepark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I passed Tuesday evening and there was 3 squad cars outside with a lot of guards in the skatepark

They should just fill it with gravel that will stop anyone from using it

shockwave wrote: »

:D its funny because you are serious.

Sure why not just bring in a few JCBs and level the lot? That'll really show 'em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

The council should rent it out as a slurry pit to one of the farmers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Saw a few playing football on the Ballybricken green today

people still dont get it the seriousness of it all and at this late stage prob wont.

Swear to god some people are incapable of been alone (incase there called a weirdo/loner) or having to stay indoors

Advertisement