Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

No info but there is someone who was showing signs of the virus and they are waiting on the results. the samples were taken posthumously

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I do know someone in hospital with the virus currently, who isn't doing well. Hopefully it isn't beginning to really start to take hold here having done so well relatively speaking to keep numbers low in Waterford.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

I wonder will any of the pubs close down for good after this? A lot of the pubs have the location and are owned outright so im betting the likes of Geoffs, Kazbar, all the pubs in Ballybricken and the two on Yellow Road will probably weather the storm and open up again, most likely at the end of the year.

But some of the newer ones like The Hub (new compared to the others) and even the Craftsman might be in trouble after this.
    The Craftsman are still doing food everyday, might not be much but still managing to stay open so I expect them to weather the storm, the likes of The Exchange would be open if it was their choice. I’m thinking the new Vault and revolution plus maybe the likes of The Mansion, Sinnotts and The Factory May struggle as they’ve so many staff. The Cleaboy could be in trouble too. Be interesting to see. The higher the staff rate the bigger the burden I would think. Open to correction.

I do know someone in hospital with the virus currently, who isn't doing well. Hopefully it isn't beginning to really start to take hold here having done so well relatively speaking to keep numbers low in Waterford.

That’s one person so I wouldn’t think too much into it in terms of it spiraling (wishing that person to recover) if you look at Dermot Keyes report Waterford is mostly a ghost town at the moment. That’s why the county is doing such low numbers. https://waterford-news.ie/2020/04/13/diary-from-a-social-distance-sunday-april-12/#.XpWgDGPhQlR

My point wasn't that someone I know is in hospital with it and doing badly, I know more people who have or have had it. The point is the numbers are going up and up now and it feels like a long time ago since we had less than 40 cases. Hoping it doesn't push up too high is all I mean, 70 odd now, 100 by end week probably and then we could see it begin to spiral which I'd hate.

We seem to have been lucky to this point, hopefully it keeps up and complacency doesn't hurt us.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

That’s one person so I wouldn’t think too much into it in terms of it spiraling (wishing that person to recover) if you look at Dermot Keyes report Waterford is mostly a ghost town at the moment. That’s why the county is doing such low numbers. https://waterford-news.ie/2020/04/13/diary-from-a-social-distance-sunday-april-12/#.XpWgDGPhQlR

It was a ghost town before the pandemic, so we didn't have to do to much in that regard

My point wasn't that someone I know is in hospital with it and doing badly, I know more people who have or have had it. The point is the numbers are going up and up now and it feels like a long time ago since we had less than 40 cases. Hoping it doesn't push up too high is all I mean, 70 odd now, 100 by end week probably and then we could see it begin to spiral which I'd hate.

We seem to have been lucky to this point, hopefully it keeps up and complacency doesn't hurt us.

We are doing very well and I’m unsure of any deaths in Waterford so far but it’s testament to how well we’ve taken the advise from the government, even as a country we’re doing great in terms of numbers. Allot that will get positives back will be nearly through the worst plus remember 80/85% of cases are mild to medium.
    I’m looking on the positive as there’s enough negative crap going around this in the world in general
    ( not aimed you by the way )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭azimuth17

jimbojazz wrote: »
    It was a ghost town before the pandemic, so we didn't have to do to much in that regard

Wrong thread and aimed at no one in particular but: The ability of some to run down Waterford city is astounding. Are our own worse than anyone? I work part time in city centre and always try to help people in business there by shopping there. The meme that everything is bad wrong worse and/or not up to what is available everywhere else is incredible. We have problems which need a political solution but to keep kicking the s**t out of the place is a self reinforcing downward circle which benefits no one except those urban areas we compete with. Will an FF/FG/A N Other coalition solve the problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Wrong thread and aimed at no one in particular but: The ability of some to run down Waterford city is astounding. Are our own worse than anyone? I work part time in city centre and always try to help people in business there by shopping there. The meme that everything is bad wrong worse and/or not up to what is available everywhere else is incredible. We have problems which need a political solution but to keep kicking the s**t out of the place is a self reinforcing downward circle which benefits no one except those urban areas we compete with. Will an FF/FG/A N Other coalition solve the problems?

It was not meant to run down the city centre, I shop as much as I can in there also, and rarely buy online. But the fact is that online shopping has decimated the city centre and city centres generally.

Anyway, as you say not for this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Unpopular opinion but that might be why our COVID-19 figures are so low.

• Advertisement

spookwoman wrote: »

XxNckCHh.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That jump is probably indicative of the ramping up of testing.

That jump is probably indicative of the ramping up of testing.

I really don't think anyone has a clue what the real numbers are?

Well logically when testing is increased in a pandemic the number of people found positive also rises.

I hope it is, I'm actually taking the national increase in numbers as a positive in terms of the testing but will wait to see the data before getting excited about it. The testing needs to improve big time.

If it makes us feel any better here is the national breakdown (from the main thread on the Covid 19 forum) only Wexford has a lower rate per 10k

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=509585&stc=1&d=1586890310

I hope it is, I'm actually taking the national increase in numbers as a positive in terms of the testing but will wait to see the data before getting excited about it. The testing needs to improve big time.

I'm not sure the current tests prove anything about the country wide situation. Many aren't tested and the test is useless to see if anyone has had the corona virus. If/when the test can help build the stats on who has had corona virus then the figures will be more meaningful and can be extrapolated better to give an over all picture.

I am not sure I understand you.

We were targeting 15000 tests per day, hung around 2000 per day for a while and dropped to 1500 per day last week. We are not testing enough people to have any real understanding of how much of it is in the communities.

We are also not testing enough or have the facilities (as of yet) to trace same day or next day which we will be needing to see some decent relaxation of restrictions.

I would feel better with a more accurate picture of the current active cases in the county, and country. More testing is needed for that and like I said, I am hoping the increase in numbers is due to a ramping up of testing that will continue.

I was thinking that when they were talking about John Roberts Square and the city centre in general.

I am not sure I understand you.

We were targeting 15000 tests per day, hung around 2000 per day for a while and dropped to 1500 per day last week. We are not testing enough people to have any real understanding of how much of it is in the communities.

We are also not testing enough or have the facilities (as of yet) to trace same day or next day which we will be needing to see some decent relaxation of restrictions.

I would feel better with a more accurate picture of the current active cases in the county, and country. More testing is needed for that and like I said, I am hoping the increase in numbers is due to a ramping up of testing that will continue.

Yea after tonight’s briefing they were saying that they want same day if not the next day results so they are in a position to lift restrictions and have the capacity to deal with cases in a 24/48 hr period. Was only thinking earlier that a lot of the restrictions are while they build up the capacity of the whole operations needed.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I was thinking that when they were talking about John Roberts Square and the city centre in general.

I understand from a friend in the HSE that the big issue in some places across the southeast is in nursing homes. Thankfully Waterford has been spared this so far and we all pray that continues.

90 today and 1 death

The death – an elderly patient, who was residing in a Nursing Home just outside of Waterford -is one of three deaths recorded today in the south, and the first in Waterford. - quote waterford n+s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Did the Gardai have to break up a large crowd in Ballybricken today? Someone said they saw this and I’m not sure if I can believe it. In front of their station seems like an odd place for a load of people to congregate.

90 today and 1 death

The death – an elderly patient, who was residing in a Nursing Home just outside of Waterford -is one of three deaths recorded today in the south, and the first in Waterford. - quote waterford n+s

That feels like a defeat but I suppose it was going to happen at some point

That feels like a defeat but I suppose it was going to happen at some point

Lets hope its not another cluster starting

• Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

very sad, RIP to the person and best wishes to all affected cases

Wasant it confirmed yesterday 'a 30 year old' died in Ireland from this ??. Very Scary esp when youre the same age

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

PTH2009 wrote: »
    very sad, RIP to the person and best wishes to all affected cases

Wasant it confirmed yesterday 'a 30 year old' died in Ireland from this ??. Very Scary esp when youre the same age
    The range for deaths from covid19 in Ireland is from 23 to 105 Tony hoolahan said today.

90 today and 1 death

I noticed the death wasn't recorded as being in the Waterford count on the site I use to check county by county. Found that odd, the 90 cases were there like just no deaths attributed. Wonder where it occurred and whether it did fall within our county boundaries or what happened there to cause confusion. Could just be an error on the site I use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

Close friend of my Nan’s, who was originally from I think, Newport Square passed away on Monday in her nursing home in Wexford. She moved up there with her husband many moons ago. Apparently that particular nursing home is rife with the virus with staff and residents confirmed

Advertisement