Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Also looks like they will be reviewing deaths in nursing homes as they may not have recorded some at the start
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0416/1130838-nursing-homes-covid19-coronavirus/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Urban pubs will be fine (unless they were rubbish and struggling already) it's the rural Friday-Sunday one man and his dog establishments that are fecked. The funeral parlour side of the business will keep going though ;)

I wouldn't be too sure,
    Rural pubs like that tend to be owned outright and only make very small orders with suppliers, once the owners can safely re-open they'll be able to do so far easier then those that have rents to pay

spookwoman wrote: »
    90 today and 1 death

The death – an elderly patient, who was residing in a Nursing Home just outside of Waterford -is one of three deaths recorded today in the south, and the first in Waterford. - quote waterford n+s

101 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I understand one of the men who had it in Waterford came home yesterday to a welcome reception, I think he was from the Lismore park area. Apparently he had passed it to another few family members, either as he was living with them or maybe in day to day interaction. He was in quite a bad way in hospital and so were his family so its great to read he was well enough to return home and his family are also recovering.

This virus is a very unsettling thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I understand one of the men who had it in Waterford came home yesterday to a welcome reception, I think he was from the Lismore park area. Apparently he had passed it to another few family members, either as he was living with them or maybe in day to day interaction. He was in quite a bad way in hospital and so were his family so its great to read he was well enough to return home and his family are also recovering.

Were living in some amazing uncertain times

This is Hollywood level of weirdness and nobody would of imagined something like this would come true

Pubs been shut for over a month now
    100,000s out of work
    Guards everywhere
    2KM travel limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

it's like some sort of apocalyptic time. Reminds me of 'Contagion (2011)'.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

johndoe99 wrote: »
    it's like some sort of apocalyptic time. Reminds me of 'Contagion (2011)'.

Expect we wont get the tossing vaccine so fast

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Saw the video. Loads of non social distancing. You would have thought he'd have known better.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,424 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

91wx763 wrote:
    Saw the video. Loads of non social distancing. You would have thought he'd have known better.

He was a bit overwhelmed by the welcome home, very shy guy apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Over the last few days the amount of Covidiots ignoring the lockdown has been steadily increasing around town quicker than the virus is spreading but the virus will catch up sooner than later if people don't adhere to the advice ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Expect we wont get the tossing vaccine so fast

And except it doesnt kill almost everyone that gets it

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Over the last few days the amount of Covidiots ignoring the lockdown has been steadily increasing around town quicker than the virus is spreading but the virus will catch up sooner than later if people don't adhere to the advice ..

humans can only take so much of such restrictions, expect this behavior to increase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

The problem is that the virus spread will follow the increased activity , but on the bright side Waterford has not been hit as bad as other areas around the country,
    Business wise I'm not sure ,could be a lot of doors staying closed unfortunately

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

91wx763 wrote: »

If its the video the N&S shared, I personally didnt see any real issue with social distancing, any of the groups which were together or in pairs are all neighbours and are more than likely members of the same households. The only group we cant be certain about were those who were stood in the front garden. They could well have been part of his extended family, which isn't ideal in terms of social distancing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

Agreed. Yesterday I was walking around our estate with my 4 year old just to get him tired so he can sleep later (he’s a very energetic guy so he needs to go for a walk) and we ran into two teen boys from two different families, they live down the street from us. They didn’t make any effort to keep any distance from us so I grabbed my son at the last moment to step away and they started saying very offensive stuff (like f*** you b****) and forced themselves to cough and laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Agreed. Yesterday I was walking around our estate with my 4 year old just to get him tired so he can sleep later (he’s a very energetic guy so he needs to go for a walk) and we ran into two teen boys from two different families, they live down the street from us. They didn’t make any effort to keep any distance from us so I grabbed my son at the last moment to step away and they started saying very offensive stuff (like f*** you b****) and forced themselves to cough and laughed.

The lovely people of the travelling community did it to me yesterday passing the halting site on Grattan Quay for my daily excerise. They basically walked at me so they could do it and have their great joke. The joke is on them with their low life expectancy. They don’t need a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

BBM77 wrote: »
    The lovely people of the travelling community did it to me yesterday passing the halting site on Grattan Quay for my daily excerise. They basically walked at me so they could do it and have their great joke. The joke is on them with their low life expectancy. They don’t need a pandemic.

Yeah I don’t understand what’s so funny about this, quite immature to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

BBM77 wrote: »

You should have smashed their heads in with a rock

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    You should have smashed their heads in with a rock

then we could all visit them in the hospital, oh wait....

spookwoman wrote: »
    101 cases

Some good news only increase of 1 today

• Advertisement

Thankfully it does seem like the curve is flattening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

The problem is that the virus spread will follow the increased activity , but on the bright side Waterford has not been hit as bad as other areas around the country,
    Business wise I'm not sure ,could be a lot of doors staying closed unfortunately

I’m beginning to doubt the potential spread. I know the staff in both my local supermarkets for many years. Not one sick among them since this pandemic began and all exposed on a daily basis. Maybe it only the old and vulnerable and those exposed to enormous volumes of the virus like health care workers that are at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I’m beginning to doubt the potential spread. I know the staff in both my local supermarkets for many years. Not one sick among them since this pandemic began and all exposed on a daily basis. Maybe it only the old and vulnerable and those exposed to enormous volumes of the virus like health care workers that are at risk.

Yeah but I suppose enormous volumes as you put it must start out as small volumes.
    We need to keep it that way at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

blade1 wrote: »
    Yeah but I suppose enormous volumes as you put it must start out as small volumes.
    We need to keep it that way at the very least.

Keep this lockdown going on too long and what we’ll all die of is starvation. The healthy majority need to be getting back to work. If covid 19 were as bad for the general public as its being made out to be supermarket workers would have been dropping like flys by now.

Keep this lockdown going on too long and what we’ll all die of is starvation. The healthy majority need to be getting back to work. If covid 19 were as bad for the general public as its being made out to be supermarket workers would have been dropping like flys by now.

starvation is highly unlikely, our food production processes and systems are fairly robust in all of this, even though not entirely unaffected, id be more concerned about peoples mental well being, the longer this goes on, im extremely concerned for our mental health services as this prolongs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I know yeah.
    It's a lose/lose situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You do understand that people showing symptoms are staying at home and the numbers of people shopping in supermarkets has dropped dramatically?

Starvation is the ultimate hyperbole.

While your point about supermarket staff is somewhat valid, the fact we have suppressed the virus has protected supermarket workers more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Gavlor wrote: »
    You do understand that anyone showing symptoms are staying at home and the numbers of people shopping in supermarkets has dropped dramatically

Any supermarket iv been to has been flat out busy. We are asked to stand 2m apart outside yet when we go inside everyone does as they please. I was in Aldi yesterday and it was really busy in fact it was the busiest iv seen it in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

alta stare wrote: »
    Any supermarket iv been to has been flat out busy. We are asked to stand 2m apart outside yet when we go inside everyone does as they please. I was in Aldi yesterday and it was really busy in fact it was the busiest iv seen it in a while.

I’ve witnessed the opposite when I’ve been in for the shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Gavlor wrote: »
    I’ve witnessed the opposite when I’ve been in for the shop

Well im going off what iv seen anytime iv gone shopping. I went to Tesco at 10am last Thursday week and had to wait outside for about 10mins which is fine. When i got to go inside it was a free for all with people crossing and passing each other in close proximity. Same happened yesterday in Aldi only this time the place was really busy.

Advertisement