Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

alta stare wrote: »
    Well im going off what iv seen anytime iv gone shopping. I went to Tesco at 10am last Thursday week and had to wait outside for about 10mins which is fine. When i got to go inside it was a free for all with people crossing and passing each other in close proximity. Same happened yesterday in Aldi only this time the place was really busy.

I was in lidl other day and just got out as quick as possible, everytimei turned a corner ye nearly bump into someone, its too compact in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Gavlor wrote: »
    You do understand that people showing symptoms are staying at home and the numbers of people shopping in supermarkets has dropped dramatically?

Starvation is the ultimate hyperbole.

While your point about supermarket staff is somewhat valid, the fact we have suppressed the virus has protected supermarket workers more than anything.

I’m shopping in both shops a long time and know the staff personally. They have told me they are all well and no one has become sick, large stores probably 100 or so workers between them. I also have a large family and a job that brings me into contact with a lot of people, I have heard of two that have caught Clovis 19 and were tested, mild flu symptoms only, both well now. Several tv presenters got it, mild flu symptoms, all recovered now. To me this looks like a global over reaction of gargantuan proportion.

Any supermarket iv been to has been flat out busy. We are asked to stand 2m apart outside yet when we go inside everyone does as they please. I was in Aldi yesterday and it was really busy in fact it was the busiest iv seen it in a while.

Agree, never saw supermarkets so busy bar Christmas, yet no staff sick...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I’m shopping in both shops a long time and know the staff personally. They have told me they are all well and no one has become sick, large stores probably 100 or so workers between them. I also have a large family and a job that brings me into contact with a lot of people, I have heard of two that have caught Clovis 19 and were tested, mild flu symptoms only, both well now. Several tv presenters got it, mild flu symptoms, all recovered now. To me this looks like a global over reaction of gargantuan proportion.

We haven't reached the tip of the iceberg yet.
    This virus will possibly be here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

blade1 wrote: »
    We haven't reached the tip of the iceberg yet.
    This virus will possibly be here to stay.

Can you provide any information as to why you think this?

HIV is here to stay yet people can live a good life now. The common cold and flu are here to stay which kill loads every year. Are you suggesting that this new virus is worse than all of them? There have been strides to find a vaccine and i would guess one isnt too far away.

Unfortunately people are loosing the run of themselves with this virus. The median age of those which die is 80. Many of those who die have underlying medical conditions. Each death is of course regretful and we must do our best to help prevent such things but im sorry shutting down our economy for months on end is not one of those things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It hasn't occurred to you that the numbers are as low as they are because of the reaction? You reckon that if nothing was done, the place wouldn't be riddled?

I know a number of people who have lost family members and some waiting for the bad news, just a matter of time. Maybe you can tell these people it's just an overreaction.

JohnC. wrote: »
    It hasn't occurred to you that the numbers are as low as they are because of the reaction? You reckon that if nothing was done, the place wouldn't be riddled?

I know a number of people who have lost family members and some waiting for the bad news, just a matter of time. Maybe you can tell these people it's just an overreaction.

I bet the place was riddled already and most of us got over it because most of us are luckily of good health. Do you really believe this virus only came into this country a couple of months ago? Not a hope in hell.

You're posting a lot of complete nonsense. Are you one of those morons who think it was the illness some people had around Christmas?

You're posting a lot of complete nonsense. Are you one of those morons who think it was the illness some people had around Christmas?

People are posting nonsense because you dont like what they say :D:D:D

And we are morons because we have a different opinion. You poor petal, is the cocooning getting to you or is it the sh!t you are reading online....either way relax everything is ok if you look past the scaremongering.

Our economy needs to reopen and thankfully it seems like that is finally coming. Surely you accept this must happen soon or else we are in big trouble.

People are posting nonsense because you dont like what they say :D:D:D

No, it's nonsense because it's literally nonsense. It's not that I don't like it. It's factually incorrect. Your nonsense "opinion" doesn't override facts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I was in lidl other day and just got out as quick as possible, everytimei turned a corner ye nearly bump into someone, its too compact in there.

The build world isn't designed for two metre distancing, its designed for "just enough space plus a bit". If no cure is found the future of civilisation will look quite different! Very spacious and much more expensive.

No, it's nonsense because it's literally nonsense. It's not that I don't like it. It's factually incorrect. Your nonsense "opinion" doesn't override facts.

Is it?

How do you know for sure that it wasnt here beforehand? No one was being tested for it??? That doesn't mean it wasnt here. I personally know of someone who had all the symptoms in late December/January. Two doctors had no clue what was wrong and any medicine prescribed had no effect. Doctors were stumped as to what it was. I bet had he got tested at that time he would of been positive for covid19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Keep this lockdown going on too long and what we’ll all die of is starvation. The healthy majority need to be getting back to work. If covid 19 were as bad for the general public as its being made out to be supermarket workers would have been dropping like flys by now.

You do realise that all the measures taken have resulted in less numbers of cases. The procedures in shops have resulted in less cases. What about the 40 plus deaths a day? Supermarkets have screens up to protect staff , customers are washing there hands. People are doing what there supposed to do that's why supermarket workers aren't dropping like fly's.

Is it?

How do you know for sure that it wasnt here beforehand? No one was being tested for it??? That doesn't mean it wasnt here. I personally know of someone who had all the symptoms in late December/January. Two doctors had no clue what was wrong and any medicine prescribed had no effect. Doctors were stumped as to what it was. I bet had he got tested at that time he would of been positive for covid19.

If it was here in November and December, it would have spread widely and hundreds would have died back then. January would have been like the situation right now, or worse. It wasn't.

The fact is, the early cases in the country were easily traceable to their origins. We know when it came and where it came from.

debok wrote: »
    You do realise that all the measures taken have resulted in less numbers of cases. The procedures in shops have resulted in less cases. What about the 40 plus deaths a day? Supermarkets have screens up to protect staff , customers are washing there hands. People are doing what there supposed to do that's why supermarket workers aren't dropping like fly's.

I think the country has done a fantastic job in limiting the number of casualties and the government have done what was required. From the doctors/nurses to the retail/delivery staff and many others they have kept us ticking over so they must be commended for their work and commitment. We are all grateful. Now that they are saying we have passed our peak the government can hopefully start to implement a multi staged end to the restrictions. If they dont we are in serious trouble. There is only a certain amount of time our economy can sustain the current path it is on.

If it was here in November and December, it would have spread widely and hundreds would have died back then. January would have been like the situation right now, or worse. It wasn't.

The fact is, the early cases in the country were easily traceable to their origins. We know when it came and where it came from.

We know exactly when in came in and who brought it in? Really? Who is your source for this? The HSE? Tony Holohan? To be fair they havent exactly been straight up about the nursing home numbers have they.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

A timely reminder that it's not just America and the UK that has a surprisingly large population of idiot's who actually need the bleach bottle to be labeled, do not drink, for their own protection.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nice to hear the positive news but still a bit to go yet. May 5th will be a slow slow start to normality

Has it not occurred to you that if anyone was going to catch it or have anything but a mild reaction to it, it would be supermarket workers who have hundreds of shoppers in close proximity to them all day! There is no reason for all the other shops to be closed. No reason for builder for anyone in similar type roles not to go back to work now. I’m personally fine I work from home a lot anyway but for others the consequences will be felt long after the virus is gone.
    Grieving from the death of a loved one is not an over reaction, no need for the over dramatics. I doubt You personally know a number of people out of the numbers that have sadly passed, some people always have to be personally involved for dramatic effect I guess!

I bet the place was riddled already and most of us got over it because most of us are luckily of good health. Do you really believe this virus only came into this country a couple of months ago? Not a hope in hell.

Agreed, I’d love to take the antibody test, in fact I’ll pay for it if it becomes available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Ref the around since October, even maybe before - Epidemiologist Larry Brilliant, yes that is his name, who helped eradicate smallpox believes the virus has been around for awhile. They went into an area tested 1000 people for antibodies and knowing the antibody tests are not 100% they got too high a reading from the population for something that only appeared in December. A variant of the virus could have been around and somehow mutated into the monster we are seeing now. I have a family member who before christmas got a right dose that doctors say they don't know what it was, they had trouble breathing, terrible pain in the chest and is really only now getting back to some normality because it also sapped the strength out of them.
    They are still learning about the virus and they say the fevers could come and go for a number of months for those who got infected, they are also finding out the damage it is doing to internal organs, finding blood in urine indicating it also attacks the kidneys.
    Chinese universities before they where shut down recently were looking into the origin of the virus and had info put up also saying they believed the virus was about before December.
    Reality is we don't know where this virus came from or when it appeared.

Agreed, I’d love to take the antibody test, in fact I’ll pay for it if it becomes available.

Plenty of road to be run before you could be sure of what a test result told you

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/18/unverified-antibody-tests-risk-increasing-coronavirus-infections

Can you provide any information as to why you think this?
    Scientist on BBC this morning.
    Said it will just more than likely be added to the existing Corona type viruses.
    It'll be us that has to adapt to live with it.
    Whether that's through vaccines or whatever, nobody knows.

Scientist on BBC this morning.
    Said it will just more than likely be added to the existing Corona type viruses.
    It'll be us that has to adapt to live with it.
    Whether that's through vaccines or whatever, nobody knows.

That is exactly what will happen as has before. Thankfully we have some very good people trying to curtail this and in time im sure they will find a way to limit the damage this does to those who are most vunerable.

I think we will all be ok. Normality isnt too far away in the grand scheme of things.

I think we will all be ok.

Link please? :D:pac:

Link please? :D:pac:

https://www.jw.org/en/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Surely it would make as much sense to post https://www.scientology.ie/ ?

It's about as meaningful and useful,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

spookwoman wrote: »
    Some good news only increase of 1 today

Fluck!

• Advertisement

Population 115,000
    110 cases known
    Case rate 0.1%

Advertisement