Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

jimbojazz wrote: »
    I suppose, in reality, they’d have to prepare for every eventuality, so being readied for an extension of the lockdown would be normal but he did say that it’s looking likely that it will be extended, the numbers are not falling and the nursing home situation is not helping matters, plus the Covidiots are not helping

Ha :D:D

Covidiots!!!!

I think till a vaccine is found we shall be under some form of restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Ha :D:D

Covidiots!!!!

I think till a vaccine is found we shall be under some form of restriction.

100%, listening to Paul Reid of the HSE yesterday and he’s talking about years not months of dealing with this, terrifying scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

JohnC. wrote: »
    The Gardai aren't just on the bridge. Sometimes there, sometimes the bit between motorway and bypass roundabouts, sometimes Grannagh at the junction with the old road. No idea about heading out Ferrybank direction though.

Work in kk so do a good bt f driving up and down that way. Havent seen the guards around since the bank holiday. They are definitely not as visible as before, certainly weren't in the last five days I was driving up and down anyway.

anplaya27 wrote: »
    Work in kk so do a good bt f driving up and down that way. Havent seen the guards around since the bank holiday. They are definitely not as visible as before, certainly weren't in the last five days I was driving up and down anyway.

They were fairly visible and active around the city all weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

jimbojazz wrote: »
    They were fairly visible and active around the city all weekend

Were they? They were camped on the bridge the last 2 weekends but not this week and the weather was a lot better this week compared to last.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Were they? They were camped on the bridge the last 2 weekends but not this week and the weather was a lot better this week compared to last.

3 different checkpoints throughout the day yesterday on the dunmore road at the maxol station.

Yip, they seem to have a high presence on the Dunmore road at the Circle K and around Tesco, also stopping near the Range and at McDonalds

It’s not that I’m out and about, you can get this info online fairly easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Went into town for a prescription very quiet in the drizzle.

Then to Lidl (Woodies lights were on as they are now doing home delivery, check if you need something) and lo and behold a mother/son combo, she was not some invalid ancient mariner, about 60 probably and he was a classic "hands in pocket" teen who simply didn't need to be in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

debok wrote: »
    I don't get what it is that your calling spin is all?
    Harris is a twat but there is a virus going around. They advise you to do things to protect yourself , I just don't understand what's being spun. The only spin might be that there is even more deaths of vulnerable people that their not reporting.
    The advise was till may 5th I just don't understand why people can't follow the advice until then. Yes the government will cut the 350 at some point of course they will but why can't people try to survive on it fir the few weeks , stay in get the infected numbers down. It's been only over a month , you'd swear tis years the way your talking . Sorry for disagring but iv personally seen the effects the virus can have and it kinda makes you think nothing else matters only your health. Not one thing is more important than your health I couldn't give a fack about money or wealth it dies you no good when your dead.

They largely ignored the nursing homes while telling us they were doing all they could by taking over private hospitals....paying millions to private owners of those private hospitals......SPIN. The Government and Gardai are telling us there are restrictions on moving more than 2kms, that there are checkpoints all over the place and some parts of the media are doing as asked with the non stop pictures of checkpoints....SPIN. I for one have seen them set up a checkpoint for 5 mins where they take photos and then head off again. I drive quite a bit and i have not come across a checkpoint in over a week and a half. Members of the Government are going on tv/radio/social media telling us how much they are doing for us ie the 350 payments, supports for businesses etc.....SPIN.

While at the moment those support are helping it will not last long because the country cannot sustain it but they wont tell us that. If we continue on in the manner we are this country will be on its knees for a good few years. The Government now need to come out and outline their plan for a multi phased end to the restrictions. If they dont open the country up soon many of us will not be going back to work.

As for May 5th, I have no problem waiting until then but because of their silence we dont know if they will start letting things open back up. Many people cannot afford to be out any longer. People have by and large stayed in they have done their bit. They are now starting to get restless. The very notion of another 6 weeks of restrictions is laughable, people will not tolerate it as they have done before therefore you will see more and more out and about. As of now they wont come out and tell us what their plans are because at the moment they are too busy trying to fix the nursing home fu(k up. What they have done to those in nursing homes will be the biggest scandal to come out of this whole thing and not one of those politicians will be held accountable. This should not be accepted by us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hit and run checkpoints are effective as well. Otherwise people just flash one another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

alta stare wrote: »
    They largely ignored the nursing homes while telling us they were doing all they could by taking over private hospitals....paying millions to private owners of those private hospitals......SPIN. The Government and Gardai are telling us there are restrictions on moving more than 2kms, that there are checkpoints all over the place and some parts of the media are doing as asked with the non stop pictures of checkpoints....SPIN. I for one have seen them set up a checkpoint for 5 mins where they take photos and then head off again. I drive quite a bit and i have not come across a checkpoint in over a week and a half. Members of the Government are going on tv/radio/social media telling us how much they are doing for us ie the 350 payments, supports for businesses etc.....SPIN.

While at the moment those support are helping it will not last long because the country cannot sustain it but they wont tell us that. If we continue on in the manner we are this country will be on its knees for a good few years. The Government now need to come out and outline their plan for a multi phased end to the restrictions. If they dont open the country up soon many of us will not be going back to work.

As for May 5th, I have no problem waiting until then but because of their silence we dont know if they will start letting things open back up. Many people cannot afford to be out any longer. People have by and large stayed in they have done their bit. They are now starting to get restless. The very notion of another 6 weeks of restrictions is laughable, people will not tolerate it as they have done before therefore you will see more and more out and about. As of now they wont come out and tell us what their plans are because at the moment they are too busy trying to fix the nursing home fu(k up. What they have done to those in nursing homes will be the biggest scandal to come out of this whole thing and not one of those politicians will be held accountable. This should not be accepted by us.

So what would you propose? Not having restrictions or ignoring them? Because you know ignoring them worked out so well for the likes of the UK, Italy and Spain.

I don’t mean to be facetious but if the restrictions were scraped on the 5th May and the virus got out of control. And you got COVID-19 in its extreme form, would you be happy with not being put on a ventilator because there is not one free? Would you be happy being the one left to die?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

For me, the most frustrating thing is the lack of transparency in the numbers and how they are being reported each day.

The headlines tell us how many new cases and deaths there are each day but due to the constant changing of the goalposts in terms of testing, those values are fluctuating and not giving us the sense that what we're doing in terms of self-containing is working. I'm sure it is, but you don't see that reflected in the headlines and that's what most people read.

Cases jumped dramatically because of the tests in Germany, then they started to come down again. Now, with the nursing home testing, they will undoubtedly go up again. Similarly when we went from testing people with any symptom, to two symptoms and now possibly back to one symptom. We keep hearing about the curve, but this is more like a rollercoaster.

Today we will no doubt hear of 500+ new cases and 30+ deaths, but we won't hear that most of those are contained cases in nursing homes and that public efforts are actually working to reduce community transmission. One would imagine that information like that is key to promoting compliance in the restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

alta stare wrote: »

I completely agree with you on nursing homes and even in my post that you quoted I said that their probably spinning the deaths of more vulnerable people like the disabled . But to say then that you haven't seen checkpoints because your driving around seems to suggest that your not following the advice of staying within 2 km. I'm not saying the government is handling this great, it actually breaks me heart because I couldn't be more anti fffg normally. But this is a never seen before event and you seem to want to be given info instantly.How can they lift restrictions and the cases yesterday were 700. The restrictions haven't been tight enough but I wouldn't blame spin. Christ we couldn't do without takeaways here. New Zealand closed all that and now there down to ten new cases yesterday. The problem is the lockdown should have been tighter but I wouldn't blame that on spin. Look at Borris Johnson saying they have wrestled the virus to the floor and that's with 400 deaths yesterday now that's spin. I agree with a lot if your points it's just that I don't see the fault as spin , I just see that the measures should have been tighter and if they had we might be in New Zealand's position.
    The spin I see is when they say how many tests are being carried out and my worry is that there testing smaller numbers than their saying and we still up on700 a day. We will agree to differ Alta because I like your posts and you stick to your guns. Stay safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I completely agree with you on nursing homes and even in my post that you quoted I said that their probably spinning the deaths of more vulnerable people like the disabled . But to say then that you haven't seen checkpoints because your driving around seems to suggest that your not following the advice of staying within 2 km. I'm not saying the government is handling this great, it actually breaks me heart because I couldn't be more anti fffg normally. But this is a never seen before event and you seem to want to be given info instantly.How can they lift restrictions and the cases yesterday were 700. The restrictions haven't been tight enough but I wouldn't blame spin. Christ we couldn't do without takeaways here. New Zealand closed all that and now there down to ten new cases yesterday. The problem is the lockdown should have been tighter but I wouldn't blame that on spin. Look at Borris Johnson saying they have wrestled the virus to the floor and that's with 400 deaths yesterday now that's spin. I agree with a lot if your points it's just that I don't see the fault as spin , I just see that the measures should have been tighter and if they had we might be in New Zealand's position.
    The spin I see is when they say how many tests are being carried out and my worry is that there testing smaller numbers than their saying and we still up on700 a day. We will agree to differ Alta because I like your posts and you stick to your guns. Stay safe

You cant compare New Zealand to Ireland they are an isolated island that are a 3hr flight to their nearest country , but i agree our restrictions 4 weeks ago should of been tighter if they were we would have an exit plan now like the rest of Europe ,instead we have leo and Simon Harris telling us everyday that they are going to keep extending it if we are bold,and you have people on here calling others idiots because they went more than 2km from their house and people calling the guards on their neighbours because they are out on the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

We among the few countries counting nursing home deaths and we have a high level of testing taking place. The likes of the UK don't, which is a genuine example of spin in making their figures look more positive than they actually are.

Experts in the north are lamenting that their numbers are far higher than ours, and calling for their policies to mirror ours.

A timetable will be published shortly, and while I can understand people looking for certainty, I can also understand the need to wait for the latest data to be available before publishing them.

As it is we have a certain portion of society who think we're going back to normal on the 5th, and who seem to have imposed their own personal regulations in advance of the 5th because they know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I think its worrying how quick it spread through the nursing homes in the country. The often conflicting approaches and resignation of a doctor from the medical council doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. He said the elderly were seen as an afterthought and I tend to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think its worrying how quick it spread through the nursing homes in the country. The often conflicting approaches and resignation of a doctor from the medical council doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. He said the elderly were seen as an afterthought and I tend to agree.

Like most people I'm not surprised. Too many of them are filthy, have bad practices and have been that way for a long time.

I know one where you'll see loads of discarded gloves right outside the door. If it's that bad outside it doesn't bode well for the inside.

While it might be harsh, the elderly were not the priority when responding to the crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

hardybuck wrote: »
    Like most people I'm not surprised. Too many of them are filthy, have bad practices and have been that way for a long time.

I know one where you'll see loads of discarded gloves right outside the door. If it's that bad outside it doesn't bode well for the inside.

While it might be harsh, the elderly were not the priority when responding to the crisis.

I agree with you. We may have to re-examine our relationship between private and public.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭spookwoman

hardybuck wrote: »

Looking at hiqua reports problem in all areas with cleanliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

On my daily exercise its terrible to see the Quay full of junkies/drunks

Odd there seems to be always a well dressed guy going around checking on them.

• Advertisement

137 cases, 2 more today

BBM77 wrote: »
    So what would you propose? Not having restrictions or ignoring them? Because you know ignoring them worked out so well for the likes of the UK, Italy and Spain.

I don’t mean to be facetious but if the restrictions were scraped on the 5th May and the virus got out of control. And you got COVID-19 in its extreme form, would you be happy with not being put on a ventilator because there is not one free? Would you be happy being the one left to die?

I am all for the start of a phased end to the restrictions. I never said it has to be dropped completely in one go as i do believe that would be a mistake. But lets not get complacent here about our economy either. If we can start to open up the country this will help in easing the worries that people have regarding their jobs. The government now need to be active in kick starting the economy. If this is done in the correct manner people will continue to be careful in their approach to others. Any prolonged continuation of these restrictions will see people ignore them in the long run.

Keeping people under these kind of restrictions can be counterproductive.

No i dont stick to the 2km limit at all times. I live outside the city and any travel i do involves no one else. No danger to anyone.

At first i thought the government were doing a great job but the more Harris goes on the more he seems to be talking out of his arse. The nursing home problem will become a scandal and he will be no to be seen. Their willingness to throw money at private hospital owners is also a bit perplexing.

They can look at lifting restrictions and at least come up with a logical strategic plan so we can all at least see they are looking at the long term plan. At the moment it seems like they are taking it day by day.

We could of had lower numbers if they had of shut the airports/ports and quarantined anyone who did end up coming in but no we just let them in with zero checks. Now we have this farcical situation where visitors from NI are not bound to the restrictions :D Only in Ireland.

Im glad we can disagree without the usual sh!te thrown around this place. You must be the only one who likes my posts :D thanks though and yeah you stay safe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

PTH2009 wrote:

Yup, we ve decided it's best to largely ignore complex social problems, as they generally sort themselves out!

PTH2009 wrote: »

Odd there seems to be always a well dressed guy going around checking on them.

Unfortunately, that is the way all city centres are today.

However, I know it is not the Quay but it is maddening that the council put a homeless centre in the old Bank of Ireland on Parnell St. For Christ sake it is next to two schools! Surly they could have found a more suitable location away from the city centre. And not encourage junkies/drunks to be hanging around.

It drives me mad when the council does these things. They talk about the need for a vibrant city centre. Then in the middle of one of its nice streets with offices, schools and some residential then they come along and put a centre for piss heads. They build a new road in a suburb in a nice area to open up the area for housing then they come along and put a halting site in the middle of it full of savages.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Yup, we ve decided it's best to largely ignore complex social problems, as they generally sort themselves out!

They do seem to stick their head in the sand and let others suffer the consequences of their decisions.

They do seem to stick their head in the sand and let others suffer the consequences of their decisions.

addicts dont wake up some morning and say, lets fcuk my life up, and those around me!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    addicts dont wake up some morning and say, lets fcuk my life up, and those around me!

I was talking about the council.

I was talking about the council.

apologies, but a multi level approach is required to tackle these issues, not just the council, but a fair point

• Advertisement

138 cases in waterford, 1 extra today

Advertisement