Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Gardner wrote: »
    Some lads love a good bite I must say. But anyway, did anyone see the video doing the rounds of Damien Tiernan interviewing 2 lads drinking cans on the Quay? Poor form for a father and son to be drinking cans on the Quay but what sort of idiot is DT publishing this video. What is he trying to achieve? Maybe the next step for him is to get a job in the News and Star or the Mirror/Sun. Must be a slow news day for him.
    dzilla wrote: »
    this is exactly the side of DT i don't like. I am not defending the fellas out and about tinning but its pure exploitation of fellas with a bit of sauce in them just to get a couple or likes/retweets on twitter and to be honest, for a fella WLR claim to the the "voice of Waterford" he really isnt giving a good impression of the place for anyone from the outside looking in.

You'd prefer to be back to Billy Mac ? "Consulting the lawyers" in case we offend someone, being nice to politicians and playing songs from oliver twist and paint your wagon to fill in the time is not how you should have a current affairs show......

The media needs to up its game against the online. WLR with Eamonn Kane to an extent and now with DT along with the News and Star are in fairness making an effort at pushing the boundaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tabloid trash mentality is not pushing the boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

91wx763 wrote: »
    You'd prefer to be back to Billy Mac ? "Consulting the lawyers" in case we offend someone, being nice to politicians and playing songs from oliver twist and paint your wagon to fill in the time is not how you should have a current affairs show......

Haha what are you on about? Lockdown getting to ya is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Hospital doesn't seem too busy here, but obviously I can't get inside

Cant rely on the numbers ref vacant general beds released every day because they seem to opening and closing wards all the time
    (24/4)199 (25/4)34 (26/4)39 (27/4)73 (28/4)39

They do have 7 confirmed cases and 8 suspected as of yesterday 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

91wx763 wrote: »

The media needs to up its game against the online. WLR with Eamonn Kane to an extent and now with DT along with the News and Star are in fairness making an effort at pushing the boundaries.

Its always been the way with Waterford radio that when someone who actually has balls and will ask the tough questions (as per his excellent grilling of Mary Butler recently) and not let the powers that be charm or wriggle their way out of their responsibilities, you get a sizeable bunch of whingers and snowflakes who claim he is just trash and he isn't suitable for radio. Damien Tiernan is doing a fantastic job in my view, he holds people to account. Eamonn Keane did so too, albeit to a lesser extent.

Billy, God rest him, fell very short here, welcoming any and all of our local politicians and giving them all very soft interviews. I suspect anyone who is buddies with the MD Des Whelan, and a few businessman number amongst them, is protected from the harsher questioning and if you cross the line, you are gone. So sadly DT probably wont last, not that its a loss for him with his experience, but I for one would certainly miss his tough questioning style and presenting. But so many people in this city are pure hurlers on the ditch who love to whinge and tear people down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

spookwoman wrote:

Unfortunately I may have just dropped off another one

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

spookwoman wrote:

Wanderer78 wrote:
    Unfortunately I may have just dropped off another one

False alarm, thank God

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Tabloid trash mentality is not pushing the boundaries.

He talks about what the people (US) talk about. See "bloke falling off LIDL" thread.

Or do a "Ted Walsh" - turn over and watch Peppa Pig if you don't like it.
    And now there's more......
    https://www.facebook.com/658295697/posts/10157391305465698/

Damien T posted-
    I interviewed two men on the quay in Waterford yesterday as part of a series of interviews I was doing on how people are getting on. I asked them was it okay to chat and they were both very nice chaps who had no problem chatting, and their points were cogent and well made. In my 25 years of journalism I try to get a wide range of views, experiences, opinions from all different walks of life and I have never and would never want to upset anyone with anything I write or broadcast in any forum. I wasn't doing the piece for today and the piece hasn't and won't be broadcast and I was contacted by a number of people privately. As I say I fully respect everyone I interview and it's never my intention to do otherwise. I apologise from the bottom of my heart and say sorry to anyone who was annoyed at the interview, which I promise was done with the best of intentions. As I said the lads were superb in the interviews and no issues at all. A chap I know Ricky has suggested I follow up my intentions by helping raise money for local charity and I agree 100% and I'll do that as soon as possible as we start coming out of lockdown. Again, I'm sorry.

The vast majority of the comments are saying "why are you apologising". And this facebook where your name goes with your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

'we'll soldier on boy'

Anyone see that video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Waterford26

So Leo think that face masks might be a good idea.. toooo late..very late. See Austria, Czech or Slovakia where masks was compulsory(and strict sanctions if u dont wear them) at the very early stages..restrictions goin to the bin in these days but we will sit at home for another month here. And few of u here were clever when i posted that masks should be used on public month ago. Overeaction or panic was ur answer at that time..thats all i want to say. ;-);-);-)

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/04/29/nursing-homes-being-neglected-by-the-hse-and-government/#.XqmuU2hKiUk

“We have a situation now where GPs won’t come into nursing homes anymore, and Caredoc are also refusing to enter, quoting some kind of policy that they don’t seem able to produce,” the source said. “This is creating a situation whereby nurses are being asked to certify deaths.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

So Leo think that face masks might be a good idea.. toooo late..very late. See Austria, Czech or Slovakia where masks was compulsory(and strict sanctions if u dont wear them) at the very early stages..restrictions goin to the bin in these days but we will sit at home for another month here. And few of u here were clever when i posted that masks should be used on public month ago. Overeaction or panic was ur answer at that time..thats all i want to say. ;-);-);-)

Fair play to you. Glad you came back to point that out.

Can i ask a question? Can you use paragraphs the next time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

spookwoman wrote: »
    https://waterford-news.ie/2020/04/29/nursing-homes-being-neglected-by-the-hse-and-government/#.XqmuU2hKiUk

“We have a situation now where GPs won’t come into nursing homes anymore, and Caredoc are also refusing to enter, quoting some kind of policy that they don’t seem able to produce,” the source said. “This is creating a situation whereby nurses are being asked to certify deaths.”

The quote I got from a surgery nurse was that GP's are saying they have no agreement with the government for doing that work.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    The quote I got from a surgery nurse was that GP's are saying they have no agreement with the government for doing that work.

No wonder the nursing homes are in the state they are in

Case declassified back to 137 cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I find the way death certificates are dealt with very odd. Feels open to bad potentials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I find the way death certificates are dealt with very odd. Feels open to bad potentials.

What is the procedure around death certificates? Is it just up to the doctor that's called to a death or what's the craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

debok wrote: »
    What is the procedure around death certificates? Is it just up to the doctor that's called to a death or what's the craic

My understanding is that there is a course you can go on that gives you the qualifications to issue a death cert, sort of thing a nurse working in an old peoples home might do.

If anyone has anymore info on that I'd be interested to hear.

No increase today in confirmed cases. Still 2 in critical care, 7 confirmed and as of yesterday 8pm 14 suspected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

The numbers are far off the mark , dozens of cases not included because they haven't been tested and are fighting the virus at home, a more realistic number for Waterford would be nearer 1000 cases
    The growth rate reported is down to the shambles of testing
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/Confirmed_cases_of_COVID-19_in_Ireland_by_county.webm

138 confirmed cases now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

hardybuck wrote: »
    You see these things must be thought about quite a bit - they're huge impositions on people's freedom. It's an unworkable idea that doesn't stand up to even the most basic analysis, and the last thing we need now at this stage is divisive policies that treat you differently to your neighbour up the road.

Leo saying tonight on The Late Late show that it is a possibility and it is something they are looking at doing,so not unworkable,shows how much you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Leo saying tonight on The Late Late show that it is a possibility and it is something they are looking at doing,so not unworkable,shows how much you know!

Leo looked rattled last night. He came across as a guy who had arrived late to an exam. I get he must be under alot of pressure but it wasnt a good interview for him.

At least now we finally have a timetable. Something to work toward. The prolonged time frame for some business could be a disaster and if the government cut the 350 payment before people get back to work id say there will be alot of anger out there. I myself dont expect to be called back to work until the start of June even though my place of work has been operating with a select few staff since the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

alta stare wrote: »
    Leo looked rattled last night. He came across as a guy who had arrived late to an exam. I get he must be under alot of pressure but it wasnt a good interview for him.

At least now we finally have a timetable. Something to work toward. The prolonged time frame for some business could be a disaster and if the government cut the 350 payment before people get back to work id say there will be alot of anger out there. I myself dont expect to be called back to work until the start of June even though my place of work has been operating with a select few staff since the end of March.

Yeah i cringed when he took a tattered piece of paper out of his pocket to consult when churches would open, talk about making a bad impression. I know he didn't have the exact dates in his head in the space of a few hours but he should have been a bit better prepared than that.
    And then cracking jokes about Tony Holohan having no hair in the same sentence as sympathising with the families of nursing home victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Half the cases are not being tested just told to weather it out at home still community transmission occuring in the city ,Roma community have been hit the hardest after nursing homes

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Half the cases are not being tested just told to weather it out at home still community transmission occuring in the city ,Roma community have been hit the hardest after nursing homes

That's the worrying thing because you will always get people not staying at home if told to weather out.

No new cases today

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Pretty busy around today esp in the John St and the park

People getting fed up of this lockdown. Cant blame them but you would fear complancy could set us back further

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Pretty busy around today esp in the John St and the park

People getting fed up of this lockdown. Cant blame them but you would fear complancy could set us back further

I won't be surprised in say 2/3 weeks numbers creep up again

Advertisement